Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 03-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Supernova141
NEVER COME BACK YANDA

Copyright law

How do you feel about it?

If I can make a Lucky Star video game better than Kadokawa Shoten, why shouldn't I be allowed to make money from it?
Supernova141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

I think the idea of copyright law is fine but that it needs to be severely cut back. Maybe a few years or so to work on your idea but definitely not these lifetime + 70 years or whatever copyrights on stuff is today. The exact length is up for debate, I don't have any concrete ideas but anything less than what it is now is better.

To me it's fine that the original creators of something get to choose how to make money of their work by selling rights while in that phase, so assuming the Lucky Star copyright was still active, then that's why you shouldn't be able to do it.

When that copyright expires though go for it. Creativity is definitely stifled under the current system and anyone should have a shot to make their derivative work and profit off of it- just not initially. If the Kadokawa is going to make a Lucky Star game that's terrible, and yours is clearly better, it just doesn't seem right to me that you would effectively sweep up all the money that would go to the author. I'm a believer in whoever makes the best product should get the money- but when talking about a written/drawn work and it's characters, ultimately you did not invent them, so again, I think the author should have some form of copyright.

We don't want a market in which no derivative works can be produced for money and we also don't want a market in which people don't create the initial works because they're frightened that someone will take their characters and make something better and make a bunch of money while not being involved in the process of creating those characters. If I see Lucky Star being released and I decide to take the characters and copy paste them into the scenario of some popular t.v. show, such that my derivative work will profit on the basis of that show's popularity, I've done nothing new, and snatched up the opportunity for the original LS author to make his unique work for the sake of what is effectively(in my eyes) pandering.

And those are my 10 minutes after having woken up thoughts.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
I think the idea of copyright law is fine but that it needs to be severely cut back. Maybe a few years or so to work on your idea but definitely not these lifetime + 70 years or whatever copyrights on stuff is today. The exact length is up for debate, I don't have any concrete ideas but anything less than what it is now is better.
I think this summarizes how I feel as well: life of author + 70 years is excessive. Forever Less One Day shows how nuts it is now. I probably line up with their point as well that the extension past the lifetime of the author is pointless. 45-50 years is more than enough to churn money out of and make an empire out of it. For scale, 1965 would be the 50 year mark and think about how few entertainment franchises still exist let alone are a major driving force in society. I would bet you dollars to donuts most of those franchises aren't taking in money from their 1965 businesses so most of them have no risk as a public domain entity.

That said, I also do understand why they exist...very succinctly summarized in the video as well. The social contract of a small time of protection in exchange for more media is a happy trade off I'll do any day of the week. Companies ultimately own most of the money and they need incentive to act to, well, collect more money. And they give us entertainment in exchange.

I'll also be interested to see if Disney opts to not push for another extension...2036 is a long time away and I think many saw the 1998 change, being sometimes known as the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, as pushing the limits.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:41 AM   #4
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

hey Disney, I got your copyright law right here.

Two words: Crimson Echoes. Fans made a game that was never considered and would have given it to Squaresoft for free if they werent such punks. Course this was before we all hated Squaresoft and Sony.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post

Aw, I should've thought to post that video- CGP Grey is fantastic.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
XxLordxX
Holy Headbanger Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
hey Disney, I got your copyright law right here.

Two words: Crimson Echoes. Fans made a game that was never considered and would have given it to Squaresoft for free if they werent such punks. Course this was before we all hated Squaresoft and Sony.
I wasn't going to post as Gondolin and kirant covered up prety much all that I think. But now that you've said it I remember another one that was quite bad too, Chrono Ressurection. That thing looked to be so good! The soundtrack was top notch (they improved the original), and had 3D graphics. Too bad Square Enix killed it :(
Old 03-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #7
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

How come drug companies that spend millions on research get a patent for like, what a decade? And some wizard and warlock movie gets protection for up to 240 plus years? No, Disney and Sony aren't behind the politicians passing these laws.....nah

At what pointi n history will a 2nd grade kid draw mickey mouse for a class project, wins an award for drawing, and Disney calls up his parents for their cut? Or they say, hey, you can't draw that anymore.

Last edited by Thane of Cawdor; 03-08-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #8
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
How come drug companies that spend millions on research get a patent for like, what a decade? And some wizard and warlock movie gets protection for up to 240 plus years? No, Disney and Sony aren't behind the politicians passing these laws.....nah

At what pointi n history will a 2nd grade kid draw mickey mouse for a class project, wins an award for drawing, and Disney calls up his parents for their cut? Or they say, hey, you can't draw that anymore.
It's really a difference in classification of intellectual property - patents have different rules than copyright and the adjustments to the Copyright Law do not affect the patent law.

I think drugs and medical devices get 20 years after the date of patent (which might be something like 10 years of actual production and use in the world before end of patent coverage [for drugs] due to your FDA being the most stringent system in the world on allowing sale of devices). And, honestly, I'm happier with that. Drugs and the like have way different rules governing them as these devices are much more important to society than Star Wars or Mickey Mouse and they need to be part of the public system faster.

As per the second part: it's all a matter of perspective. It's much like saying that current copyright law would prevent you from hosting a video using intellectual property without acknowledgement or fair use laws protecting you but it's now like a company will go after you unless you're a big fish...reasonable enforcement is a thing and we have to realize that companies are pragmatic and the pragmatic thing to do for their wallet is to let things go unless they are large and major drains on their pocket. Suing every single person for breaching the law to the tune of, say, 20 dollars in lost revenue person is a bad idea when it costs them hundreds to sue each of them. And a mass law suit wouldn't work...it just doesn't happen like in The Dark Knight (which I admit would be hilarious to watch but pointless to have happen)

Now, say that kid was in a million dollar contest...might happen, probably wouldn't though. Generally those contests recognize the law enough that they'd write the rules to prevent it and such an entry would be filtered out prior to contest winning.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is online now   Reply With Quote