Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Games & Computers

Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
Luis
Posting Freak

This is late news but there's a rom of the SNES mini version of Starfox 2. I played it and it took some getting use to fighting without a homing charge beam but not took long. I beat hard and will try out expert later.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Luis
Posting Freak

I got myself a SNES mini today even though I said before that you can just play in a emulator months ago but I ended up wanting it. The SNES is still my favorite console so I realized it felt weird not getting it. It feels better playing these SNES games on the TV because that's where those games were originally played. I'm eager to add games on it but I made a rule to beat all 21 games first.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #13
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

You're using a CRT screen right?
Old 05-05-2018, 03:00 AM   #14
Luis
Posting Freak

Is CRT an old TV? I google to see what it looks like and that's what it shown. I'm using an HDTV.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #15
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Dude come on, I'm not THAT old and youre not THAT young. A CRT means a regular old tv, stands for 'cathode-ray tube' ie the heavy, long TVs where the picture was taller (4:3) ratio.

The reason for gaming old games with these TVs is that they were literally designed for that screen. See CRT tv screens had 'scan lines' and so like a movie reel (this you may google) there is some black space on the screen at any given time. So when you translate a picture onto a CRT, the colors are adjusted specifically for a projector tube TV.

If you play an old game like NES SNES era (ANY video game before HDTV and/or the era of using LCD/Plasma/DLP type), you dont have these big fat lines.

So when you play an emulator you got off the net on your PC, you notice it doesnt look right. So a lot of emulator programs have filters and effects to display the picture on a large LCD/LED screen of whatever your using and try and adjust the color to match what it was on an old TV.

So in short, if you want your new SNES mini to look just like in the old days, youd ideally wanna play it on a tube TV...or an old projector TV. I saw a 65" one at goodwill for 15 bucks cause it was too freakin big to move, but it woulda been awesome.
I can't speak for the SNES mini, but for those of you who emulate old games on PC, lots of programs like zSnes have filters on them to account for those scan line gaps.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:34 AM   #16
Luis
Posting Freak

I have heard of SDTV but not CRT. I didn't know they have a second name. I still have my old SDTV. I will need a HDMI to composite converter to play on it though because the SNES mini only has a HDMI port. I think I bought one before and don't know where it is in my house. I don't mind the two black borders that the HDTV is showing. It's to be expected since those games are old.

Last edited by Luis; 05-05-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Oh lord, good goin Nintendo. A display that's worse than VHS and all it has is an HDMI port. Well except for the (new)est tube TVs, the older ones didnt have composite ports.

most tube TVs were "standard definition" by modern terms. Like 99.99% of them ever made. There were SOME "EDT" or enhanced definition, which actually exceeded VHS and was about on par with DVD (yes, for years VHS quality if done right exceeded the quality of the TVs made of the same era....we dont know why.)

There exists one or two "HD" CRT televisions. Largest I recall seeing was a 38". The picture WAS better than an LCD, LED or plasma tv. the reason we dont use CRTs anymore (apart from eco-hippies calling them energy-suckers, which they are) is because having a proper 65" CRT television would probably weigh well over 500lbs, and thus would have to be built into your house. I argue there is a market for this kind of TV, but no one wants to bother investing. I dont blame anyone, as the heat output would require a back room or some cooling system attached to it. For all but the hardcore old gamers like me, the new LED tvs can be made close enogh.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #18
Luis
Posting Freak

So I have been playing Donkey Kong Country for days on the mini trying to 100% the game. I never 100% this game before so this is a good opportunity to finally do it. I have the cartridge but can't use it because the SNES plug will no longer connect to the two pins which are not straight anymore. I was never interested in playing it on an emulator. What you need to do to get 100% is find all of the bonus rooms. But I found out some of the bonus rooms looks impossible to find without a guide. It was NES Zelda style of vague secrets. I had no idea the exclamation mark on the level's name means I have found all of the bonus rooms on that stage. I was at 87% before I startled using a map that shows everything just so I can get this game over with and play the other ones. By the way I found that secret in Mind Cart Carnage on my own. I just said "I bet there's something here" and jumped down there. I wasn't too surprised after finding that secret in the second stage.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #19
Pasi123
Kagami Hiiragi fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Oh lord, good goin Nintendo. A display that's worse than VHS and all it has is an HDMI port. Well except for the (new)est tube TVs, the older ones didnt have composite ports.

most tube TVs were "standard definition" by modern terms. Like 99.99% of them ever made. There were SOME "EDT" or enhanced definition, which actually exceeded VHS and was about on par with DVD (yes, for years VHS quality if done right exceeded the quality of the TVs made of the same era....we dont know why.)

There exists one or two "HD" CRT televisions. Largest I recall seeing was a 38". The picture WAS better than an LCD, LED or plasma tv. the reason we dont use CRTs anymore (apart from eco-hippies calling them energy-suckers, which they are) is because having a proper 65" CRT television would probably weigh well over 500lbs, and thus would have to be built into your house. I argue there is a market for this kind of TV, but no one wants to bother investing. I dont blame anyone, as the heat output would require a back room or some cooling system attached to it. For all but the hardcore old gamers like me, the new LED tvs can be made close enogh.
Actually atleast in US and Japan were a lot of different HD CRT's, sadly here in Europe we didn't have many HD CRT's.

What do you mean by VHS exceeded the quality of a SD CRT TV? Even on a cheap CRT TV you should be able to easily notice the quality difference between VHS and DVD. DVD's have the exact same resolution as SD CRT TV's, 480i NTSC and 576i PAL. EDTV's had progressive scan instead of interlaced scan, so they were 480p. Actually EDTV's are rarer than HD CRT's.

Even the difference between SD and HD TV broadcast is pretty big on my 32" widescreen PAL SD FD Trinitron. That difference isn't really due to the higher resolution but the higher bitrate. In fact a blu-ray would look better than DVD on a normal SD CRT TV. Of course normal SD content (DVD's) look a lot better on a CRT TV than a LCD, Plasma, OLED etc.

Largest HDCRT TV is a Sony FD Trinitron KV-40XBR800, it's a 40" 1080i 4:3 TV (37" in 16:9 mode with black bars). And the largest (sony) HD widescreen (16:9) TVs were 36".
But in Japan Sony had a 45" KX-45ED1 which weights over 200kg :D And it would have cost 2,430,000 yen in 1989 which would be 21,622 or 25,861 USD in todays money.

(Sorry for my bad English)
Old 05-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #20
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Here's a tip, 100% isnt complete, its actually 101% Hehe. There's a bonus stage where there's an arrow in the background to another room you get to with a barral by matching a single banana. So yes a bonus room has a bonus room. If ya need any tips let me know, 101% member since 1997 :)