Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Lucky Star > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

I haven't read the manga. I'm waiting till I find actual volumes. I don't want to read it in digital
Steam
3DS Friend Code: 2707 - 2715 - 7452
Switch Friend Code: SW-1462-7138-4810
GenerallyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
McKnight

I just noticed that all the girls in the franchise address themselves as "watashi". Is there any particular reason why none of them use "atashi" instead?

Asking because I think the latter would've sounded cuter, especially since cuteness is what Lucky Star is all about, even though I generally prefer English over Japanese audio to begin with. I could even picture Miyuki and Minami using "atashi", formal as they are otherwise.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

I actually didn't know you could say atashi instead of watashi. Is it a female alternative like "ore" is for guys?
Steam
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
McKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerallyBananas View Post
I actually didn't know you could say atashi instead of watashi. Is it a female alternative like "ore" is for guys?
Actually, the male equivalent is "boku". "Ore" is a vulgar pronoun with no feminine equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://moncolleknights.wikidot.com/notes-on-japan
Watashi
Formally can be used by both males and females, but informally tends to be used by females only. Young boys never use this.

Atashi
Technically female only, formal and informal.
The page I just quoted pertains to another anime series, Mon Colle Knights. That show also happens to be the first thing I ever listened to in Japanese, and in it, the main female characters and another (gay) main character all use "atashi", while the males all use either "boku", "ore", or "watashi", based on their personalities.

And then there are several Japanese games I've played before, in which most female characters tend to use "atashi". One of these is an N64 game titled Getter Love!!, but does have one girl who uses "uchi" instead, and another (very plain) with "watashi". The male characters, meanwhile, tend to use "ore", except for the host (who uses "boku").

So, not really an issue in its own right (given what the page I quoted said), so much as me coming off from stuff like what I described.

(I'll also admit to having been surprised to hear the main male character of Potemayo use "ore" when I gave that show a try, given his personality. Would've expected someone cute and level-headed like him to use "boku" instead.)

Last edited by McKnight; 07-09-2015 at 08:52 PM.
McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #15
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

I guess it makes sense Ore is vulgar. I got it from TWGOK, where the protagonist is an antisocial ass (and he's my favourite male anime character).
Steam
Old 01-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
McKnight

Just been compiling lots of different sideline characters from the anime, and I've noticed that it's mostly females who wear kimono at festivals. Aren't males also known to wear those? (I'm pretty sure it's not just fanservice either, because these do include at least two elderly women at the train station where the girls depart in episode 20.)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
Simply Hiiragi
-

They are worn mostly by women during special occasions and are difficult to put on without help as there are 12 separate pieces that are worn and must be put on a certain way. Some may even have more than 12 as there are many different kimono styles.

Traditionally they would be worn by unmarried women. And they are worn most often by younger women as very few older women wear them.

Very few men wear them as well and if they did ever it would only be for very formal occasions like weddings and tea parties.
Sumo wrestlers wear them the most as they are required to wear a traditional japanese dress while there out in public.
Simply Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #18
McKnight

Makes sense.

Having just cropped everything I took from Class 3-B, there are over ninety different designs for the various students sharing the same class with Tsukasa, Konata, and Miyuki. (I did catch a few repeats, and if anyone else does, please let me know. Thanks.)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wmwg2en61...VUDEmb99a?dl=0

Even if everyone on the bus to Kyoto was copied from someone from earlier on, there is no way a single classroom in any school in the world could contain that many students.

Did the illustrators really decide to start from scratch for each new scene, instead of recycling anyone they had already drawn up before or even designing all the girls' classmates from the get-go?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #19
McKnight

In that cake buffet that the twins and Konata eat out at in episode 9, why would customers be required to pay extra for anything they take but end up not eating within the time they paid for?

Could it be that those running the restaurant want to make more money by letting customers take only as much as they can eat for each hour they pay for, so that they can capitalize on smaller batches by encouraging them to take only as much as they have room for?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Simply Hiiragi
-

^ Some restaurants and cafe's will have a time limit for how long to you can stay there and eat. If you go over the limit then you will get charged extra cause one it's to make a little more money. They also will sometimes have a limit to help clear people out a little better and to make room for new customers a little faster and to help them clean up a little.
In that episode they ended up taking a little too much and naturally you aren't going to be allowed to take it back so anything you don't finish you will get charged extra for. Basically they kind of trick you and bait you into taking a certain amount with the limit thing cause either it will work in your favor and you get the right amount without going over or it's going to work against you and be more than you thought you could handle within the time limit. So basically yeah there just saying to just take what you can handle or pay more.

Not all restaurants and such do this, but certain ones will.

Last edited by Simply Hiiragi; 03-01-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Simply Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote