Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Anime & Manga

Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Spring 2018 Anime

Spring is around the corner, meaning it's time for another season of anime.

http://anichart.net/spring-2018

Quite frankly, this season looks positively ridiculous. There are an absolute ton of shows airing this season that remake or follow up on major series or franchises. The ones I'll be at least checking out are...

Captain Tsubasa
Cutie Honey Universe
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
Gundam Build Divers
Lupin III: Part V
Persona 5: The Animation
GeGeGe no Kitaro
Layton's Mystery Journey
Mahou Shoujo Ore
Souten no Ken: REGENESIS

...and assuming I can fully catch up on My Hero Academia and Food Wars in time, that'll be a grand total of 12 series I'll be giving a look. I normally cap my weekly shows at six series, this is crazy.
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER, Heartcatch Precure!, SSSS.Gridman
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

I'm behind with eeeevvvveerrryyyytthhhiiinnggg at the moment so I'm gonna try to keep new stuff to a minimum this season.
Probably only My Hero Academia 3, FMP:IV and Persona 5.

I really need to start working through my backlog
Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Let's see:

-Amanchu! Advance: I watched the first season of this a few months ago and it was sufficiently comfy, so looking forward to more fun diving
-Boku no Hero Academia 3: It's been an awesome ride so far and hyped to see more
-Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu -Die Neue These- Kaikoku: Loved the original LotGH but honestly don't think this reboot looks too promising. I'll be cautiously optimistic since the source material is pretty great. Just could do without the super bishounen character designs really.
-Golden Kamuy
-Steins;Gate 0
-Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
: Been having a good time watching videos that bash SAO recently, so I figure it'll be fun seeing what this has going for it.

May pick up Mahou Shoujo Ore for the comedy/meme value, but we'll see, as I'm sure to pick up more as always.

Fortunately this season is looking relatively light compared to some recent ones for me, which will be nice.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
I'm behind with eeeevvvveerrryyyytthhhiiinnggg at the moment so I'm gonna try to keep new stuff to a minimum this season.
Probably only My Hero Academia 3, FMP:IV and Persona 5.

I really need to start working through my backlog
Cool to see someone else giving FMPIV a look. We've waited far too long for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
Let's see:

-Amanchu! Advance: I watched the first season of this a few months ago and it was sufficiently comfy, so looking forward to more fun diving
-Boku no Hero Academia 3: It's been an awesome ride so far and hyped to see more
-Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu -Die Neue These- Kaikoku: Loved the original LotGH but honestly don't think this reboot looks too promising. I'll be cautiously optimistic since the source material is pretty great. Just could do without the super bishounen character designs really.
-Golden Kamuy
-Steins;Gate 0
-Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
: Been having a good time watching videos that bash SAO recently, so I figure it'll be fun seeing what this has going for it.

May pick up Mahou Shoujo Ore for the comedy/meme value, but we'll see, as I'm sure to pick up more as always.

Fortunately this season is looking relatively light compared to some recent ones for me, which will be nice.
I've never watched Amanchu or Steins;Gate so I'm hoping the new seasons are good for fans of the originals. And yeah, most of the people I follow on Twitter who are LOGH fans frankly aren't looking forward to the new version all that much. I'm hoping it's good, but I kinda feel it's gonna have a hard time standing up to a 100+ episode OVA series.
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER, Heartcatch Precure!, SSSS.Gridman
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:05 AM   #5
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
I've never watched Amanchu or Steins;Gate so I'm hoping the new seasons are good for fans of the originals.
The consensus I've seen about the S;G 0 VN is that it's a pretty darn good follow up, so it should be a good time. I'm not a super die-hard fan of the original S;G, but I'd say it's worth giving a shot just for being a generally well-received and popular 'recent' show.

Quote:
And yeah, most of the people I follow on Twitter who are LOGH fans frankly aren't looking forward to the new version all that much. I'm hoping it's good, but I kinda feel it's gonna have a hard time standing up to a 100+ episode OVA series.
Can only hope for the best! Definitely difficult to have to stand up to something with that many episodes, but if they can preserve the feel of the original well enough with a fresh coat of paint, it should be a great time. If it can lead just 1 person to watching the original OVA, that's a win in my book :)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Quote:
Persona 5: The Animation
Well, this could be...an adventure. Not saying I'd ever stop watching it, but the past experiments with massive games in 13-26 episodes tend to push it into the "rushed" category. Especially Persona games (where you're putting 80 hours into ~8).

The story will either be completely gutted (see: Persona 4 Golden: The Animation) or rushed (see: Persona 4: The Animation), depending on how many episodes they went with. I'm hoping they'll be smart and go with 25. 35-50 would be required to do the story justice, but planning that length in advance is exceedingly rare these days.

Their record is half and half with the Persona franchise itself. Their Persona 3 movies aren't bad, but have always been divisive with fans it seems. But they did Persona 4 Golden's anime, which could only be described as a car crash. And the OVA they did for Persona 5 (Day Breakers) isn't great...but passable?

AIC ASTA did Persona 4's anime and did about as well as you can expect. It's a rush job due to the series length (25 episodes + 1 bonus), but...it's okay. The game is easily way better, but they managed to capture the spirit of the game in a...okay manner (and they did clone Chie for all the "best girl Chie" people out there: https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads...096618-wat.png). Animation quality was all over the board, ranging from hot garbage to terrific depending on episode...actually, it got as bad as depending on what scene it was, sometimes being a complete hindrance and sometimes managing to inject new life into events that a Persona 4 fan would have known top to bottom.

I'm not familiar enough with A-1's other work, but I had always heard they had a reputation of making mediocre cash grab anime. I'm not sure how much of that's just tied in with them being the driver on Sword Art Online though (or whatever they did to piss off Ace Attorney fans...seriously, was the anime that bad?).

The released stills of the series make me think it's going to struggle mightily with art consistency. A previous still of Ann (https://78.media.tumblr.com/cad2da7f...o1_r1_1280.jpg) looks decent...while the same post lists some other stills of her which don't quite match up as nicely (https://78.media.tumblr.com/116f707a...o5_r1_1280.png). Similarly, stills of Yusuke and Ryuji make make a bit apprehensive with the overall quality.

Well, I guess hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #7
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I'm not familiar enough with A-1's other work, but I had always heard they had a reputation of making mediocre cash grab anime. I'm not sure how much of that's just tied in with them being the driver on Sword Art Online though (or whatever they did to piss off Ace Attorney fans...seriously, was the anime that bad?).
As I understand it, A-1 is a studio that makes a large amount of anime with a large variation in quality. They've got a lot of cash grabby-type shows, but then they have something like World Conquest Zvezda Plot, or Space Brothers. Probably best to wait and see how it's received, really.

On the topic of the Ace Attorney anime- I watched it despite having virtually no knowledge of the games, and I think 'meh' best describes how I felt about it. Without going into it very deeply, it was extremely clear that it was an adaptation of a game, and it was obvious when they were trying to clue the viewer in one something important concerning the current case.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #8
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

oh I forgot about Gun Gale Online! I'll be watching that too, and I'd totally buy the new GGO PS4 game if I had the time for it~
also I'll watch Asagao to Kase-san
Old 03-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #9
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
it was extremely clear that it was an adaptation of a game, and it was obvious when they were trying to clue the viewer in one something important concerning the current case.
That's what worries me about how Persona 5 might be done. AIC's version of Persona 4, while rushed, at least could stand on its own (with there being a fairly divisive rating scheme...fans of the original game tend to look down at the anime while those introduced to it via the anime don't see the same flaws).

A-1's Persona 4 Golden was clearly adapted from a game, making no attempt to really explain the narrative itself and mostly hopping from bonus scene to scene from the updated Persona 4 Golden. And servicing the Yu/Marie shipping someone in the development team obviously loved.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #10
Misao
Posting Freak

Jesus christ, Life! How come ALL these shows gotta come out in THIS COMING Spring??!? I got stuff to do! AND we have a MLP Season 8 coming this Saturday!!

The only upside is that I currently follow 3 animes that are one-cour, meaning they will end before any of these start.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote