Old 06-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #2933
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale

it was sooooooooooo good dude~
Old 08-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #2934
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Was originally gonna re-review both Sailor Moon S: The Movie and Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie since I planned on watching both in their new theatrical releases, but since I wasn't able to attend the latter today due to unbearably hot weather, I'll just review the former.

Okay so, Sailor Moon S: The Movie. When I originally saw this a few years ago, I loved it and placed it pretty much on-par with Sailor Moon R: The Movie. And since seeing R again last year saw me realizing how well that movie ages, I was hoping for the same with S.

Sad to say, however, that S is not quite as good as I remember it. I don't think it's necessarily bad, but I'm able to see many, many more of its flaws now than I used to. While I enjoy the film for giving Luna some good character focus (she needs more imo), her treatment by the script is... weird. The primary focus of the film is on Luna falling in love with an astronomer and coming to terms with her unrequited love for him. Actually a solid base, but the film takes Luna -- traditionally a rather take-charge and sassy character -- and more or less reduces her to a swooning teenager taking turns going ga-ga over this guy she barely knows and being depressed she can't be with him. This wouldn't be *that* bad (in fact, a few scenes here and there do work well in conveying her conflict and how it affects her emotionally), but the film completely oversells her affections with glittery bubble-lens framing and over-the-top imagine spots of her leaping through meadows in pure romantic bliss. This is all on top of the fact that the film seems to forget about half the time that Luna is a cat, which makes things come off less as cute and precious (as they should) and more as hilarious and kinda weirdly off-putting.

Spoiler: show
The scene of Luna having her wish to become human granted and having a final moment with the astronomer before moving on from him are very well executed, however. Helps I've always loved the design of Luna's human form.

The villain is also a massive step down from the R movie. While Fiore was a fairly complex character with a strong motivation and a deep emotional bond with the central leads, Princess Snow Kaguya is more or less a generic doomsday baddie, who uses the astronomer's life energy to help fuel a plan to turn Earth into an icy wasteland. There's little to her, and the battle against her is short and ends on a very unsatisfactory note. And the rest of the action, while still being good, doesn't reach the strengths of the R movie's more creative and climactic battles.

At the very least, this film has the benefit of being a lot funnier in places than the R movie. While the R movie generally focused on a serious character-driven action story, S takes more time for some levity and we get some good moments of banter between the Guardians (such as a cutaway where Usagi and Rei immaturely argue with each other over whether Luna left due to being treated badly).

Quite frankly, this movie doesn't live up to either its predecessor or the memories I have of first watching it. I don't dislike it (despite all my complaints), but it was still a disappointment.
Currently Watching: Darling in the FRANXX, My Hero Academia, Persona 5: The Animation
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 08-05-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #2935
Misao
Posting Freak

I saw two. Hotel Transylvania 3, and Teen Titans Go! To The Movies. So that's two animated movies in one summer week (one of them free thanks to a rewards card from my bank)!

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #2936
Pasi123
Kagami Hiiragi fan

Mission: Impossible Fallout