Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Lucky Star > Manga

Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #21
Vossago

Nobody's mentioned this yet...? The manga has WAY less pop culture references. Konata still makes a lot of references to anime clichés, but it's rarely to a specific show. Haruhi is never even mentioned except for a few times, all of which I think were after the anime had already came out.

The manga's more of a general slice-of-life without the over-the-top scenes like Anime Tenchou.

Oh, and the half-episode food discussion from Episode 1 never happened, it was just 4 strips about choco cornets and that was it.

Overall, I personally liked the manga more... Partly because it's longer. After 3 or 4 volumes it completely passes the anime.
Vossago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #22
ronelm2000
Kazumiism/Yuiism Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossago View Post
Nobody's mentioned this yet...? The manga has WAY less pop culture references. Konata still makes a lot of references to anime clichés, but it's rarely to a specific show. Haruhi is never even mentioned except for a few times, all of which I think were after the anime had already came out.

The manga's more of a general slice-of-life without the over-the-top scenes like Anime Tenchou.

Oh, and the half-episode food discussion from Episode 1 never happened, it was just 4 strips about choco cornets and that was it.

Overall, I personally liked the manga more... Partly because it's longer. After 3 or 4 volumes it completely passes the anime.
Blame KyoAni for firing Yamakan and filling the anime with anime references. XD
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #23
ruudes
Utsukushii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzi View Post
Where can I find the eight volumes Droote mentioned, as this scanlation only goes up to the 2nd volume?
ruudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #24
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruudes View Post
Where can I find the eight volumes Droote mentioned, as this scanlation only goes up to the 2nd volume?
you can get the first 5 from here
i can't think of anywhere to get the rest though :3
Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #25
ruudes
Utsukushii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
you can get the first 5 from here
i can't think of anywhere to get the rest though :3
Ah, thank you! Please do let me know if the rest are found! For now I will be heading to the store. :3
ruudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
doornarudo deshikananrudo
Friend of the Garlic Wave

I noticed some differences from the anime to manga. For example, the chronological order of certain events is changed from manga to anime. For example, while the anime only takes vols 1-3 to use, there is 1 scene I remember from vol 4 that was in the anime, and that was when Minami was sent to buy multiples of a 1 per person product. Even in vol 3 there are a few scenes at the end that were not in the anime (sorry about not being specific about manga chapter, I don't really remember that kind of stuff).

One thing hit me when I was reading vol 4: there's a scene that shows Misao and Ayano meeting Konata, Tsukasa and Miyuki for the first time. Granted, the anime never shows these 2 groups interacting EXCEPT for the last episode. Now, because of Lucky Star's episodic nature I'd presume that the event in the manga occurred offscreen.

Another thing is Patty. She barely makes any appearances in the manga up until vol 7, being treated as a minor in the series compared to the anime where she's often seen with the other 1-D girls. One thing I noticed is that there were scenes in the manga where Patty did not appear in, but in the anime she appeared in these scenes. One example is when Minami, Hiyori (and Patty) go to visit Yutaka when she's sick. In the manga Patty is completely absent from the scene, but she's there alongside with Hiyori in the anime. I think that KyoAni saw value in Patty's character so they made her appear in scenes she was never supposed to appear in. Given that she was inspired by Patricia Jan Lee I thought that she was a original character designed for the anime, but her appearance in vol 3 which was made before the anime would prove otherwise. Essentially Patty is a ascended character.

In my opinion both the anime and manga have their own merits, though I'd want to follow the manga's canon. I just like it better (partially owed to the Lucky Star's distressful "ending" which I hope isn't canon, though it worries me that it's like their trying to say that a Season 2 is a no-no). Besides, Misao and Ayano get more screen-time and more character development as they befriend Konata (during vol 7 it seems as if Misao and Ayano are spending more time with Konata than Kagami). Though I still love the anime, the manga hopes for a Season 2 like we all do.
doornarudo deshikananrudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #27
ronelm2000
Kazumiism/Yuiism Author

Those are all all true. Way to be specific. ^.^
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
Wlfking

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornarudo deshikananrudo View Post
I noticed some differences from the anime to manga. For example, the chronological order of certain events is changed from manga to anime. For example, while the anime only takes vols 1-3 to use, there is 1 scene I remember from vol 4 that was in the anime, and that was when Minami was sent to buy multiples of a 1 per person product. Even in vol 3 there are a few scenes at the end that were not in the anime (sorry about not being specific about manga chapter, I don't really remember that kind of stuff).

One thing hit me when I was reading vol 4: there's a scene that shows Misao and Ayano meeting Konata, Tsukasa and Miyuki for the first time. Granted, the anime never shows these 2 groups interacting EXCEPT for the last episode. Now, because of Lucky Star's episodic nature I'd presume that the event in the manga occurred offscreen.

Another thing is Patty. She barely makes any appearances in the manga up until vol 7, being treated as a minor in the series compared to the anime where she's often seen with the other 1-D girls. One thing I noticed is that there were scenes in the manga where Patty did not appear in, but in the anime she appeared in these scenes. One example is when Minami, Hiyori (and Patty) go to visit Yutaka when she's sick. In the manga Patty is completely absent from the scene, but she's there alongside with Hiyori in the anime. I think that KyoAni saw value in Patty's character so they made her appear in scenes she was never supposed to appear in. Given that she was inspired by Patricia Jan Lee I thought that she was a original character designed for the anime, but her appearance in vol 3 which was made before the anime would prove otherwise. Essentially Patty is a ascended character.

In my opinion both the anime and manga have their own merits, though I'd want to follow the manga's canon. I just like it better (partially owed to the Lucky Star's distressful "ending" which I hope isn't canon, though it worries me that it's like their trying to say that a Season 2 is a no-no). Besides, Misao and Ayano get more screen-time and more character development as they befriend Konata (during vol 7 it seems as if Misao and Ayano are spending more time with Konata than Kagami). Though I still love the anime, the manga hopes for a Season 2 like we all do.

uh.... yeah! I was thought I would be helpful and say all that because I remember someone asking about whether the manga was worth reading but you already handled it.

Patricia's part confused the heck out of me cause I thought she already showed up in the manga and then they were introducing her in one of the later volumes. In fact. In the anime they said she lived alone but in the manga she lives with Konata.

Like you. Alot of it all runs together in my head now and I can't remember what happened when. A shame if I want to find specific scenes to use in a project I will probably never start. ^^; I should have cut the pages out or something.

I also noted that Konata seems to hang out with Kagami's friends more than Kagami does once they enter college.
"Just because someone looks different than you. Or thinks differently than you, doesn't mean you should be afraid of them. It means you should be ANGRY at them. How dare they be different?! What? My way of life aint good enough for em?"

~*Billy's Inner Frat Boy- The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
Wlfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
Droote
No longer Lonely European

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfking View Post
Patricia's part confused the heck out of me cause I thought she already showed up in the manga and then they were introducing her in one of the later volumes. In fact. In the anime they said she lived alone but in the manga she lives with Konata.
This is indeed very confusing. The 4komas are originally printed first and foremost in three different magazines. When enough 4komas have been printed, they are compiled into a manga volume. I think what happened with Patty is that she was introduced in one magazine, but wasn't used in any of the other magazines. As a way to introduce her to the other magazines, she got a "brand new start" sort of speak. When the 4komas are compiled into a new manga volume, the 4komas are presented chronologically in regards of when they were printed in magazines, not necessarily in the chronologically in regards of the Lucky Star Universe.
Droote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
Wlfking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droote View Post
This is indeed very confusing. The 4komas are originally printed first and foremost in three different magazines. When enough 4komas have been printed, they are compiled into a manga volume. I think what happened with Patty is that she was introduced in one magazine, but wasn't used in any of the other magazines. As a way to introduce her to the other magazines, she got a "brand new start" sort of speak. When the 4komas are compiled into a new manga volume, the 4komas are presented chronologically in regards of when they were printed in magazines, not necessarily in the chronologically in regards of the Lucky Star Universe.
Ah.
I kinda got that feeling from the mangas.
"Just because someone looks different than you. Or thinks differently than you, doesn't mean you should be afraid of them. It means you should be ANGRY at them. How dare they be different?! What? My way of life aint good enough for em?"

~*Billy's Inner Frat Boy- The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
Wlfking is offline   Reply With Quote