Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Books, Film, TV and Music

Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Tsukasa's_Lover
Tsukasa's one and only

Pacific Rim 2?

Please note this is only a rumor for now. No confirmation from WB or Legendary Pictures has been made about a PR2.

So far this is the only announcement

http://www.examiner.com/article/guil...-pacific-rim-2

for when the article gets taken down eventually:
Spoiler: show

ComicBook.com reported today that Guillermo del Toro has revealed that work is already underway on “Pacific Rim 2.” Warner Bros. has given the green light for Guillermo del Toro to begin work on the script, but no target release date has been announced. “Pacific Rim” was released in theatres earlier this month and has been well-received by fans of the director, but the film has sadly underperformed at the box office.

“I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger and that is quite special,” Guillermo del Toro told MoviePilot.com.

Guillermo went on to say, “Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stayed there. The main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions. We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something.”
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Wouldn't it be worth waiting until, you know, there's actual confirmation it's in the works?

I mean, good praise and all, it was beaten out by Grown Ups 2 in the box office. And it's not like the higher ups are interested in much more an rate of return.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Konata Suzumiya
I never asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Wouldn't it be worth waiting until, you know, there's actual confirmation it's in the works?

I mean, good praise and all, it was beaten out by Grown Ups 2 in the box office. And it's not like the higher ups are interested in much more an rate of return.
It did great internationally, it only suffered in the states.

Konata Suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

i heard that Del Toro was enthusiastic about making a crossover sequel with the new upcoming Godzilla movie, but no plans were currently in place.
a Jaeger/Kaiju hybrid would be pretty cool
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Konata_is_Mine
LF a Life! PST!

I keep throwing my money at the screen and nothing is happening. :S

Konata_is_Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Misao
Posting Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa's_Lover View Post
Please note this is only a rumor for now. No confirmation from WB or Legendary Pictures has been made about a PR2.

So far this is the only announcement

http://www.examiner.com/article/guil...-pacific-rim-2

for when the article gets taken down eventually:

ComicBook.com reported today that Guillermo del Toro has revealed that work is already underway on “Pacific Rim 2.” Warner Bros. has given the green light for Guillermo del Toro to begin work on the script, but no target release date has been announced. “Pacific Rim” was released in theatres earlier this month and has been well-received by fans of the director, but the film has sadly underperformed at the box office.

“I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger and that is quite special,” Guillermo del Toro told MoviePilot.com.

Guillermo went on to say, “Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stayed there. The main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions. We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something.”
I suppose they're ignoring the box office results? it DID do well considering.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata Suzumiya View Post
It did great internationally, it only suffered in the states.
It didn't do bad necessarily in the international market, running up about 110 million to date. But that's still not an all-star showing, given After Earth did more internationally.

It's grand sales were is 175 million, which isn't a great amount. Actually, this makes it currently a flop since its accounting returns (just pure sales minus cost) is in the red since it cost 190 million to make. Not even masuring by business venture, but by accounting. When it levels out, it's likely it would have been just as good for the company to have invested in stocks instead of placing in making Pacific Rim.

And this is a terrible sign for a sequel. It's less than Oblivion, The Great Gatsby, and World War Z. All this on a higher budget than any of them. And it's not like it has Leo DiCaprio calling people in as a star draw.

Whitewash it all you want, but losing the "Domestic Sales" number is a killer due to the fact that the US is a perfect market for movies. Because of that, I think it's questionable of it getting a green light to go forward. Not unless it does some magic ala 1st Generation Pokemon and keeps strong ticket sales into weeks 4, 5, 6 and onward.

It's unfortunate since I love quality of animation, but it's where I think it sits.

Last edited by kirant; 07-25-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Misao
Posting Freak

This is why Hollywood is depending more on overseas numbers. Heck, they're releasing more movies in other countries BEFORE the USA now!

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misao View Post
This is why Hollywood is depending more on overseas numbers. Heck, they're releasing more movies in other countries BEFORE the USA now!
That IS the overseas numbers. Pacific Rim makes 2/3s of its money from international markets. But international markets make up very little of the sales, even when it's doing this well, it still can't crack into good territory it seems.

Someday, the international market will be a force. That day isn't today though and I think that may be the swan song for a sequel.

If it's greenlit, awesome. But I can't say I'm holding my breath given the numbers.

Last edited by kirant; 07-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
furball
Facetious Troll Mod

Not really surprised as the first movie ends with many opportunities for a sequel. I'd expect to see humans piloting Kaiju fighting other Kaiju or something considering how
there's no Jaegers left.

Last edited by furball; 07-28-2013 at 12:17 AM.
furball is offline   Reply With Quote