Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Books, Film, TV and Music

Old 02-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #2921
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Cardcaptor Sakura: The Sealed Card

I gave this movie a 6.5/10 when I first saw it a few years ago. I honestly want to have a stern talk with my teenage self, as I have no clue what he was thinking. This movie is excellent.
Currently Watching: Digimon Tamers, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, My Hero Academia, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, GeGeGe no Kitaro (2018), Lupin the Third: Part V, Persona 5: The Animation, Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #2922
Jassassino
Il Principe

Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace.

I really like It, I know it isn't a good film but it's a personal enjoyment and the podracing sequence is fantastic fun.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #2923
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Reflection

Absolutely fucking stellar movie. I keep underestimating how this series is able to one-up itself and deliver unique stories and new world-building elements in a way that's engaging and satisfying. This movie is also an absolute rush, with what are easily the best action scenes of the entire series, bar none. If I had to critique the film, I could say it could've used a bit more breathing room for the story, and the cliffhanger at the end was really irritating, but it's part one of a two part story, and the material given is already executed really well, so if it ain't broke, I suppose don't fix it.

I really, really hope Eleven Arts is able to bring the sequel, Detonation, to theaters here as well. I'll happily go through hell to watch Nanoha in a theater again.
Currently Watching: Digimon Tamers, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, My Hero Academia, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, GeGeGe no Kitaro (2018), Lupin the Third: Part V, Persona 5: The Animation, Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #2924
Misao
Posting Freak

Early Man

It was okay.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #2925
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Due to a combination of exhaustion from traveling to watch two other anime movies this month and the fact that I just straight up didn't have the money for it, I wasn't able to see Mazinger Z Infinity like I wanted. I ultimately ended up prioritizing Nanoha Reflection over it, effectively making it a choice of "which film will I kick myself the least for missing".
Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 AM   #2926
kirant
Just another Friday night

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Spoiler: show
Absolutely loved the film. It's considered a front runner in the Oscar for Best Picture and not without reason. It's a fairly dark story about people being people in a tough situation. A nice mix of humour and drama keep it going and it's very interesting due to the lack of any catharsis at the end. There are multiple excellent performances by pretty much the entire cast. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, John Hawkes...heck, even Woody Harrelson manages to play someone other than himself for once.

Really, the only reason to not watch in my mind is if you're not a fan of morally ambiguity or just want to see action and action only.

Black Panther

Not my favourite Marvel film, but in the top tier. Biggest flaws are mostly about its attempted scale and how it tries to achieve a bit too much in the time frame it has.

Visually, it's absolutely gorgeous.

The narrative is predictable at many points, but also makes up for it with having one of the deepest Marvel villains (which isn't saying much given most are of the quality of "I'm about 2 steps away from printing "Villain" on my business card"). It's also amazing to have a rounded cast where I can care for a great deal of characters...very few got written off as jokes or couldn't have serious elements which would make you mentally not take interest in their fate.

The villains were probably the best part of the movie. Andy Serkis and Michael B Jordan are brilliant in their roles.

The movie has gotten some hate as some interpret the love for it only existing "because black cast" or "because it caters to a community which isn't served enough". But it's not really deserved to me. On its own, it stands out as a predictable but well executed film.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 02-20-2018 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Finished a thought
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #2927
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Birth of the Dragon

the fight scenes were definitely the best part, the rest of it wasn't so great
Old 03-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #2928
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Somehow ended up watching several anime movies recently:

Started off with Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai

This is one of those movies that I can really appreciate, but isn't as fun to watch. It's very slice-of-lifey, which for a movie I find a little peculiar. The characters are definitely this movie's strongest aspect, and it the dynamic between Ōi and her father was fun to watch.

Next was In This Corner of the World.
It's oddly fluffy, but in the end I think it really strengthens the atmosphere. Certainly deserving of the awards it's one, and strongly recommend checking it out.

Finally, just last night I watched The Night is Short, Walk on Girl. One of the most fun rides I've had the pleasure to go on. It oozes style and drives its themes home quite well. Masaaki Yuasa keeps nailing it, and after watching this I'm now really motivated to watch The Tatami Galaxy.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #2929
kirant
Just another Friday night

Ready Player One

Well...that was a movie. I can confirm that much.

Story is as basic as basic gets...I'm certainly above the target audience (which seems like it's the <18 bracket for the most part?). It's a fun mixture of '80s and video game culture. Basically have the majority from the movie is derived from "Hey, remember [x]?". There's entire segments devoted to Atari, The Shining, and just about any game you could think of.

(Incidentally, I don't think the premise of the story...that these "Easter eggs" would take years to find, would happen in any way. Especially since one is "drive backwards". Brute forcing solutions or just "screwing around in-game" would work far too quickly for that to be hidden for more than an hour or two)

The movie is far from perfect. Heck, most of it isn't really "good" by objective measures. But the camera work is awesome and engaging...and I'm also pretty sure this is the only place you can watch the RX-78-2 Gundam (being shipped in via the Serenity) team up with the Iron Giant to wail on Mechagodzilla. Honestly, that was probably worth the price of admission on its own for me (given my fairly public love of mecha).

(No, seriously, I don't think I can express my joy when I heard the words "Ore wa Gundam")

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #2930
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Was planning on renting and watching Batman Ninja at the beginning of next month, but Warner Bros apparently screwed up the English release by having a bunch of English writers completely rewrite the film based on the action onscreen and basing the subs for the Japanese version on said English script.

So I'll be waiting for fansubs, of all things, before I get to watching it,