Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Books, Film, TV and Music

Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

'The Good Dinosaur' is Pixar's First Box Office Bomb

Sad to say, but maybe releasing two movies in one year was a bad idea. Nearly a month into its theatrical run, The Good Dinosaur has yet to recoup its $200,000,000 production budget ($350,000,000 when factoring in advertising and promotion), and it currently sits at $168,000,000 in worldwide gross. Analysts say the film would need to gross roughly $500,000,000 to break even.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pixar2013.htm

This also sadly ends Pixar's 20-year box office winning streak. But then again, how many companies do you know of that can make a consistent profit for 20 years straight?
Currently Watching: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, The Ryuo's Work is Never Done
Currently Playing: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
McKnight

I thought Cars 2 held that (dis)honor, having ended a fifteen-year streak of smash hits. (At least that's what I read on TV Tropes: Parvum Opus.)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
I thought Cars 2 held that (dis)honor, having ended a fifteen-year streak of smash hits. (At least that's what I read on TV Tropes: Parvum Opus.)
It was a critical disaster, but it was a financial success with half a billion in the box office. This, in the other hand, has decent critical reception but poor box office performance.
Currently Watching: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, The Ryuo's Work is Never Done
Currently Playing: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
Misao
Posting Freak

I think this kind of thread is like 2 days late, but yeah. The film is just okay, doesn't bring anything new at all that anyone would value except the Pixar tech team who made the most convincing CGI natural environments i ever seen. The fact that the whole film had to be redone a year before its release was the reason for the high budget.

Cars 2 was built on a massive merchandising phenomenon. Disney gets more money from Cars merchandise than the films.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote