Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Community > General Media Share

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
kirant
I (somehow) evolved Ditto

kirant's "Top anime openings" project - casting call

So, yeah. I've been working and theorizing how to do this for a while.

What I'm trying to do is compile my own personal "top 10 anime opening" list. I'm currently trying to acquire a list of openings that people really, really like as my own knowledge only covers a small quadrant of anime and want to give anime from shows I am not familiar with a decent chance at being ranked.

Anyways, all I ask of anybody reading this is to submit any openings they like. Just fire away with anything that has left a positive impression. I'll do all the sorting myself.

Thanks in advance to anybody who posts.

(For the curious, I'm doing ranking on musical quality, artistic quality, suitability to the anime itself, and synergy of all these working parts).

EDIT - This came up when talking to Droote later on. Here's what I meant by each statement (and I've used the example of Lucky*Star's opening since...that's the file I'm on as I'm typing this...also bear in mind that I'm being fairly objective here...nothing is currently above 7/10 in score, including the openings I loved going into this):
Spoiler: show
Musical quality: Exactly what the music sounds like. If you took this song and just walked off with it an an MP3, how does it fare? This is further broken down into non-verbal sounds and verbal, hinting their use of both. Not that this doesn't mean anything in terms of what they mean - it's very easy to listen to music and appreciate it without understanding its meaning. I know many non-Japanese speaking individuals enjoy anime music despite this...I'm sure you do too.
- In my example, Lucky*Star uses mostly synthetic sounds for their non-verbal music, mostly to set a beat. As such, it does its job just fine (which on my scale, typically "doing your job" gets to about 4.5-5 out of 10): it fills space and leads to the major "peak" in the opening.
-The verbals are quite high pace and it's quite a feat for the singers to keep up. That part was given a nicer rating for that. The singers also attempted to mix languages (always fun) though I did notice it sounds like they learned it phonetically (if you're familiar with Megumi Hayashibara, she did this quite a bit in the '90s). I'm not a huge fan of post-production alterations to the voice, so the segments where that occurred bugged me quite a bit
(5.6/10)

Artistic quality: Basically the inverse. If I hit mute and watched it, how nice is it to watch? I mean, we get some low budget stuff (Martian Successor Nadesico) artistically and sometimes we get beautiful fluid animations.
- This was quite unusual for KyoAni. I am a huge fan of them very typically as they put oodles of work into their animation and are typically the gold standard for animation...but they cut a few corners here. You can see where they did and it's kind of saddening as I love seeing full animation openings akin to Eden of the East (one of the highest scores). The conspicuous CGI pom-poms hurt slightly.
- That being said, it's still KyoAni and they still put love and care into exactly how shots are framed. (6.5/10)

Suitability: Exactly how does this opening mesh with the show itself? I loved the song from Brain Powerd, but it made no sense being in the show unless you had prior knowledge of exactly who produced it and how the show meshes with his portfolio. This too is broken into art and music and whether or not they set the stage for the show.
- The fluid animation kind of feels weird to a show with a typically minimalist animation set. Sure, the frames feel different, but it utilizes quite a bit of "generic" background and greyed out characters to highlight that further. (4.1/10)
- Conversely, the music is extremely well chosen. A song and its lyrics which were written pretty much at random...betting a show designed around randomness. Experiment for an experiment and it's a great selection (7.4/10)

Synergy: How do the music and animation mesh? Whereas suitability is an exterior connection, this is an interior connection.
- This is the other part this opening had going for it. The song is pretty well choreographed to the animation...one of the main exports they had from Haruhi and the massive cult following around its ending. You can see they lovingly mixed together pretty much every sequence as they felt needed (6.9/10)

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 03-10-2014 at 07:15 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
XxLordxX
Holy Headbanger Knight

I personally am not a big fan of anime ops. But there are a few which I really really enjoyed, therefore, I think they are pretty good! Here:

Monogatari Series Second Season OP4

Claymore

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

Bakemonogatari Sugar Sweet Nightmare

Bakemonogatari Stable Stable

Death Note (personally I think it's very creative using a very heavy song on this anime OP)

If I remember others I'll post here ;).

Last edited by XxLordxX; 03-09-2014 at 11:04 PM.
XxLordxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLordxX View Post
But there are a few which I really really enjoyed, therefore, I think they are pretty good!
Perfect...didn't have any of those listed before...I think.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

I have a few, a good amount of which are from the 80s/90s.

Dirty Pair - Ru-Ru-Ru-Russian Roulette
Saint Seiya - Pegasus Fantasy
Saint Seiya - Soldier Dream
Strike Witches - Watashi ni Dekiru Koto (more of a personal favorite than anything)
Gatchaman Crowds - CROWDS
The Slayers - Get Along
Zettai Karen Children - Over the Future
One Piece - We Are!

Might add more later.
Currently Watching: Darling in the FRANXX, My Hero Academia, Persona 5: The Animation
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 03-09-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
XxLordxX
Holy Headbanger Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
Saint Seiya - Pegasus Fantasy
Oh! This remembers me of the Brazilian version. Which was sung by Edu Falaschi, who is an amazing Power Metal vocalist! Personally I enjoy Edu version way better than the original.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #6
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

For now:
Baccano! - Guns & Roses
Monogatari Series Second Season OP3 - Mousou♥︎Express
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OP2 - Bloody Stream
Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

hmm, i'll go with these 3 for now

Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
Droote
No longer Lonely European

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
So, yeah. I've been working and theorizing how to do this for a while.

What I'm trying to do is compile my own personal "top 10 anime opening" list. I'm currently trying to acquire a list of openings that people really, really like as my own knowledge only covers a small quadrant of anime and want to give anime from shows I am not familiar with a decent chance at being ranked.

Anyways, all I ask of anybody reading this is to submit any openings they like. Just fire away with anything that has left a positive impression. I'll do all the sorting myself.

Thanks in advance to anybody who posts.

(For the curious, I'm doing ranking on musical quality, artistic quality, suitability to the anime itself, and synergy of all these working parts).
Do you care only about the song itself, or do you take the video into consideration?
Droote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Inikalord
Introverted Laziness

For now, I'll post these. Some of my favourites.

Inikalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droote View Post
Do you care only about the song itself, or do you take the video into consideration?
At the very end of the post you quoted, I listed my criterion.

Quote:
Artistic quality would be defined as animation per the era of the show (so, for example, how good the animation was for a '90s era show if it was written in the '90s).