Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Community > General Media Share

Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
kirant
I (somehow) evolved Ditto

You wanna be a hero?: kirant's LP Sign up - X-COM: Enemy Within (Long War Mod)

So, this may seem like a grab bag of internet words (LP and Sign up), but bear with me.

As most on this forum probably recognize, I'm an avid fan of turn-based tactics games. One game close to my heart is the X-COM reboot, X-COM: Enemy Within (well, Enemy Unknown, but the expansion is called Enemy Within). One mod that I love to use is "Long War", which makes the game a very tactical game and forces me to roll lots of soldiers into combat.

The base X-COM game lets me customize characters to an insane degree. Anime-esc hair colours, names and nicknames, appearance...everything. So I thought "Hell, let's make a Let's Play where some of the readers get characters!".

So if you ever wanted to be a soldier, shoot aliens, and and see what happens when I command you (the answer: bad things)...now's the time to find out.

In spoiler is sample work from a past attempt (halted because Postimage decided to make my unused images start vanishing)
Spoiler: show

All I need from you:
- Name (first and last of some variety).
--- Oh, and if you have a nickname you want, mention that too. I can enter one if you survive long enough to get one (you might not. I am fairly serious about keeping this as a standard LP in that regard and you might just die). Fun note, the game auto-named a fighter pilot of mine to "Bender" Rodriguez. I'm so going to make him again.
- Class you'd like to be. There are:
--- Infantry. They fight in the trenches and do all the heavy lifting. It's underrated work, but infantry seriously do a lot of the hard work for me.
--- Assault. Swift moving, quick striking, hard hitting. They are much less consistent from my usage but are excellent at dishing out a hard hit when in their niche.
--- Scout. Exactly what it says. They are hard to hit, deal good damage, and provide support for a team in the form of suppression and improving ally accuracy.
--- Sniper. Also exactly what it says. Shoot from far away, kill stuff, and probably get killed when I forget that cloaked enemies like to flank you. Also go on a lot of missions since they don't get hurt all that often.
--- Gunner. They get a heavy gun and...well...that's about it. Gunners are the sole wielder of the Light Machine Gun and Squad Assault Weapon. But make no mistake: these are dangerous toys. They are very much capable of many roles but support is often the forte as they don't hit as much as you'd like.
--- Rocketeer. If you like exploding stuff, here's your chance. Load your rocket, make stuff explode.
--- Medic. I'll make sure they don't shoot you first.
--- Engineer. Supportive grenades mostly. But you also can fix our mechanized weapons.
--- Also let me know if you'd like to become a humanoid mech later on. You become so fat people can hide behind you in quite a literal sense.
- Preferred equipment. Long War modifies the weapons to add in many options besides Assault Rifles. I've complied a list below:
-- Secondary Weapons
--- Pistols. Anybody can carry except Gunners/Rocketeers. Pistols are your emergency weapons, obviously, and are only used when nothing else is possible.
--- Machine Pistols. Anybody can carry except Gunners/Rocketeers. Just as the name suggests, these are rapid-firing side arms. They are not really accurate and are heavier than pistols but are high rate of fire and have a much higher punching strength compared to pistols.
--- Sawed-off Shotgun. Anybody but Sniper, Gunner, and Rocketeer can carry. Zombie killing aside, this is a useful option if you really, really want a second primary weapon. It is a single shot, but damn that shot hurts.
--- Rocket. Rocketeers only. They explode. Enough said. Oh, and there's limited ammo per mission so...good luck with that. Note though that Rockets are also very awesome if they hit their target properly.
-- Primary Weapons
--- SMG. Anybody can carry. The lightest of all primary weapons, SMGs confer a large movement bonus compared to the other weapons. Limited ammo and damage output, but if you don't need to deal lots of damage, an SMG works wonders.
--- Carbines. Anyone can carry. Carbines are the baby brother of Assault Rifles. They give bonus movement and accuracy in exchange for damage and critical damage rate.
--- Assault Rifles. Anybody can carry. This is the baseline weapon. Assault Rifles, like in most games, are flexible and useful in almost any situation. They suffer from lack of specialization.
--- Battle Rifle. Anybody but Sniper, Gunner, and Rocketeer can carry. Battle Rifles are big riffles. That seems obvious. They're hard to aim effectively, but they hurt. A lot.
--- Shotgun. Anybody but Sniper, Gunner, and Rocketeer can carry. They work the same as in virtually every game: short range, high damage output. They also tend to have a nice critical chance boost.
--- Sniper Rifle. Only Snipers can carry. They are weapons that can go to any point on the map provided a line-of-sight. It hurts like hell to get hit by it, have a high critical chance, and get more accurate the further away you are. The only real weakness is that it has a "you can't move and shoot without accuracy loss" policy. And atrocious close range accuracy.
--- Marksman Rifle. Snipers and Scouts can carry. Light sniper rifles with similar weaknesses. You do get to move around a bit more since you can move and shoot with impunity now.
--- Squad Assault Weapon. Only Gunners can carry. A lighter rapid-fire weapon, SAWs carry a lot of ammo and can be used to support. They are also great for time-sensitive missions since you can move and shoot (compare LMG below).
--- Light Machine Gun. Only Gunners can carry. Think of them the way you'd think of Sniper Rifles. They have no move and shoot capabilities but have a higher damage potential. They have a near bottomless barrel of ammo and are perfect for defence missions or those which don't need the Gunner to move at all.
-- Armour
--- Much softer rules here. Just tell me if you want light, medium, or heavy armour. There's the obvious mobility/armour trade off.
- General visual descriptors
--- Like skin colour you'd like (they classify by race, then by pigment), hair style and colour (anime hair is possible), armour, and armour colour. I've done people who request anime character appearance so just request and I'll get as close as I can.

If this collects enough interest, I'll post up the results on this forum. I try to post every mission so it'll be a long topic. But, hey, watching us kill evil aliens is fun, right?

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

I'm interested in submitting something for this- but I have one question.

How many weapons do we choose? 1 primary, 1 secondary? If the scheme is something like that, does the Gunner not have a secondary then? Just their LMG/SAW?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
kirant
I (somehow) evolved Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
I'm interested in submitting something for this- but I have one question.

How many weapons do we choose? 1 primary, 1 secondary? If the scheme is something like that, does the Gunner not have a secondary then? Just their LMG/SAW?
Yup: One primary, one secondary. Also, the basic scheme (though I was trying not to say it this obviously) is that Gunners and Rocketeers have locked secondary weapons. Gunners get no option for secondary while Rocketeers are locked into having a Rocket.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Then I'll go with:
Name: Gunther Hermann
Nickname: If it can be two words, then "Laputan Machine," otherwise just "Laputan"
Class: Infantry
Primary: Assault Rifle
Secondary: Sawed-off
Armour: Heavy
Appearance: As close to this as you can get:
Old 11-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
brupielink
The LSSF Clockmaker

Name: Boris Tahimik
Nickname: Tinik
Class: Engineer
Primary: Battle Rifle
Secondary: Sawed-off
Armour: Medium
Appearance: Try to give him a slight slavic face and about neck-length, brown hair. Otherwise, think about how someone named "Crazy Ivan" would look like.
Also, yes I would like to turn into a mech later on.

Finally a chance to make my sci-fi LARP character live
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Snap4Life
Die strijders in het veld

Name: Shawn Armenta
Class: Sniper
Primary: Sniper Rifle
Secondary: Pistol
Armour: Heavy
Appearance:
Snap4Life is offline   Reply With Quote