Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Books, Film, TV and Music

Old 12-17-2017, 02:39 AM   #2911
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Assassin's Creed

pretty cool, i like how it tied into the games kinda, but i'll forever know it as "Fog and Smoke: The Movie"
Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #2912
Misao
Posting Freak

Ferdinand
Spoiler: show

I consider it one of Blue Sky's middle-upper-tier films. A lot more of a relaxed tone than most of their films, grounded in serious stakes with the usual comic sidekicks. At least it is NOT another Ice Age 5!

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898

Last edited by Beyond Birthday; 12-19-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #2913
kirant
Just another Friday night

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

It's good. Not great but being unpredictable makes it a step above The Force Awakens. You can tell someone was sitting in the backroom with responses from The Force Awakens which read "it's just A New Hope" and decided to fix that. It's visually pretty and I didn't get as much of a sense of ambivalence to Rey as I did the first time around. All pluses in my mind.

Pacing is a bit of an issue. A couple plot lines seem to come up with no real payoff.

Many issues from The Force Awakens still exist. Internal logic is all over the place (and often non-existent). For example, the First Order always gets new toys while the most the (now) Rebels have managed to do is make their X Wings look slightly cooler. How mind numbingly incompetent is the (ex) Republic to have fallen apart to a stiff breeze of resistance? All while having done nothing to prevent it? Also, there is a scene where a light speed collision is used. It is absolutely devastating...so why isn't the tactic used more often?

Characters withhold information, make really stupid decisions, and go on side quests of no plot importance...it's all really strange decision making from an in-universe perspective and hurts the movie.

Probably the biggest strike against it is how little I actually understand about the universe of Star Wars from the movie. All I got was basically "somewhere between the two movies, the Republic was again crushed. Now join everyone as they run". Random things get blown up along the way and I can't really grasp a sense of scale most of the time. The more time I spend thinking about the movie, the more I find myself liking less of it.

Grouchy old man Luke is best Luke though.

Maybe best way to put it is "good movie but flawed"? It's a terrific popcorn movie but don't think about it too hard or it gets much less fun. I'm of the half the population to enjoy the weird twists the movie has though, so those parts were at least enjoyable.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 01-02-2018 at 10:16 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #2914
Misao
Posting Freak

The Last Jedi

It does feel like it was rewritten in response to peoples' complaints about The Force Awakens. It's still very good though.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #2915
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Saw Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew for the first time in... Christ, I don't even know how long. It's been a very long time, at any rate. I don't think i was even 18 yet the last time I saw it.

It's still a really solid movie, one of the best in the series. Has probably the strongest cold open of any Pokémon film, and I really love the art design and music in this one. Also, this is the first time I've seen the movie in its original widescreen ratio, and it's one of the better Pokémon movies to take advantage of the wider frame. Lots of sweeping landscape shots and dynamic action staging.
Currently Watching: Pop Team Epic, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Darling in the FRANXX, Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san
Currently Playing: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Persona 4 Golden
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 01-03-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #2916
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Kong: Skull Island

gotta love a good ol' giant monster fight
Old 01-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #2917
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Continuing from the Lucario movie I saw a couple days ago, me and my sister watched Pokémon 4Ever, Pokémon Heroes and Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker today since I got a DVD with them and Destiny Deoxys in the mail.

Pokémon 4Ever: Better than I recall it being. Added scenes in the English dub could've been left out, as they just serve to make a single plot point more painfully obvious and give Team Rocket more screentime. Villain isn't very interesting, though, but it's an enjoyable fantasy film with some decent atmosphere.

Pokémon Heroes: This is... about as average as I recall it being, actually. Annie and Oakley are entertaining as antagonists, so they're at least above the Marauder from the last film. Latios and Latias are handled... okay, but for all the focus they're given, they really weren't expanded on as characters very well. I honestly got more out of Celebi in the previous film than I did these two. Alto Mare is a fun locale, but it's basically just Venice, no frills. Not much else to it, really.

Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker: Still a personal favorite movie in the series. The use of a consistent musical theme through the film is great (May's lullaby, which has both an orchestral BGM rendition and a full vocal song used for the ending), and I enjoyed Jirachi's playful personality and relationship with Max a lot. Butler is also a really solid antagonist, with Diane being an effective moral compass for him. I also liked this film's more limited scope, taking place only at two places: a circus and Forina. It lets the movie take more time developing characters and relationships as opposed to having action scenes punctuate everything.
Currently Watching: Pop Team Epic, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Darling in the FRANXX, Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san
Currently Playing: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Persona 4 Golden
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #2918
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions

ohhhhh it was so great I loved it :D
I'm glad they included cheesy one-liners, it was so much fun