Lucky Star Shrine Forums
 
Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #391
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Finally back with stable internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
No, given my view of canada, and by OUR definition we consider canada a commonwealth, i dont like it.
I think you misconstrue my point. The existence of Canada as using the same system should play no part in the consideration.

The system of governance is utilized by most countries and fixes many of the problems we see in the USA government (such as the "lame duck" presidency occurring because the parliament and head of state fundamentally disagree with each other). The number of parties I list would probably prevent the partisan nature that your politics has taken on and tends to meet a fairly stable amount for most governments of this structure. Parties couldn't stray too far from "their lane" without losing votes.

Europe has some other interesting models (with a few nations working with proportional representation as oppose to independent seats). But I don't think the USA would ever be as bold as that.

It comes with its own problems (that is, a party with a majority is basically one-party rule for its term), but it makes far more sense than the cobbled together USA system. The USA's system only works if the states were operating as independent countries instead of being reliant on their federal government.

That is to say, the USA's government structure only makes sense if the independent states in the USA were as unique and separate from each other as the countries in the European Union. That is, if every North Carolinan thought they were North Carolinan first, American second. If every state had its own military as oppose to relying on the federal government structure it for them.

(Well, there is Texas. But Texas is a bit of a unique case)

The USA's reliance on a federal government doesn't match this and the better fit certainly comes with these alternative structures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
i mean a borderline revolution, and yes in my eyes, making things more conservative, because as time passes, countries tend to grow more conservative.
To be fair, doing what I propose above basically reads "destroy the Constitution and start over". That's pretty much revolution outright.

Not that it's a bad thing. The Constitution was seemingly built on the idea that you guys would actually update the damn thing (with more than the really small touches you've made). So deifying the writers and enshrining the document to the point where debating implications of commas may be a sign that you guys have screwed up the intent of it to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
i site America, the majority of Europe, even china (started as communism but most major cities are basically capitalist), and the list goes on.
Your examples are weak evidence. Your examples basically forget that we saw a conservative push in the '80s, followed by a globalist push in the '90s.

- The USA really hasn't gotten more conservative as time has gone on. You started as a nation which felt it was its divine right to conquer everything (that is, to manifest destiny yourself all over the map). You then decided to "nope" your way out of all international politics (isolationism) before feeling that taking a stand against the USSR was the right thing to do (Cold War). Then you assigned yourselves the role of the world's policemen.

-- tl;dr, USA has gone through multiple pushes of "conservatism" and "liberalism".

- After the rise of neo-conservatism, Europe has, by and large, been the forefront of much evolution in politics. It has experimented with massive government structures (ex - effective removal of borders in the Schengen area [1995], which makes travel often as simple as traversing states, and unification of currencies under the Eurozone [1999]) and has been the forefront of some of the most interesting traditionally "social" ideas. This is especially true in the Scandinavian countries.

- China has long been Communist "in name only". It's basically just one party rule. It claim that it has gotten more or less conservative in that regard is silly.

I think what you're really trying to claim claim is that the last 5 years has seen a rise in traditionally conservative notions (nationalism in particular). And that is true. Brexit and the rise of (what many call) the "alt-right" are movements which seem like countercultural pushes against the globalist movement. Something kind of expected in the face of terrorism and how it seemingly contradicts with globalist feelings.

But to claim that the countries unilaterally get more conservative with age isn't supported by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
you have foxnews labeled as nonsense, [...] its an opinion, an editorial.
That's not what's being said. It's that they alter the way they report a story to fit a specific political leaning.

Here's a fun exercise: find a big story and read it on multiple sites. What facts are removed, what facts are highlighted in greater detail, and how much detail is provided on certain aspects reflect a lot about the network reporting it.

In this case, it's not hard to find FOX's daily news wire as omitting key points or failing to provide specific context into a story which sells a more "conservative" slant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I think that media bias chart may be the norm in very liberal countries, perhaps canada, but as for america, we are still more right-side shifted.
Media bias is expected anywhere media exists. What direction the media leans depends on the network we discuss. That's why Reuters and Associated Press are special to me: they for the most part manage to avoid any level of bias.

No doubt the USA is heavily conservative by most nation's standards. And I mean that in a "the only other major nation as conservative is Israel" way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Okay, tell us what Putin wants to accomplish by having Trump as president.
He gets a more Russia friendly president running in the USA, which makes his goal (forming a powerful Russia through somewhat imperialist means) easier.

- Trump has killed sanctions against Russia which were agreed upon by both Republicans and Democrats. This keeps his power base happy.

- Trump is well known to seemingly praise dictators, Putin being a very famous one

- Trump is open to recognizing Crimea as Russian land, something no other western nation agrees with.

- Clinton is a known foreign policy hawk and would likely be very terse with Russia (much more so than Trump)

- It is also a nice middle finger to Clinton, whom Putin particularly despises.

- Trump wants to withdraw the USA from many international portfolios, which lets room grow for Russia and its allies (like China) to take up. And indeed, China has taken big steps forward in many areas (such as pushing the environmental agenda).
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 07-14-2018 at 07:06 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 AM   #392
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
you misread that, countries get more LIBERAL as time moves on. A country forms, its idealistic, you have freedom to do lots of stuff (at least as america was formed.) then people start causing trouble, one person does something stupid and a law is formed ruining it for everyone. millions of laws start this way (fireworks, one person hurt someone and a state outlaws it, don't text and drive, cause most people can do it at at lights but now no one can do it it all, and so forth.) in fact MOST laws in america do derive from someone doing something stupid and ruining it for the rest of us, at least in modern times. People say "hey, lets do this", the liberals that cant leave well enough alone. every small group wants recognition so we have to create holidays and new systems, the taxes grow ever more bloated, till you become like europe with crazy high sales taxes so the government has control of more things. I'm a capitalist and favor less laws. Such as stuff like forced 401k and medicare. Let me explain. The government TAKES your money in taxes, you have no choice, and saves it for when you get old. I for one am smarter than the average bear and would rather save my own money and not let someone invest for me. I would therefore like 401k and medicare destroyed to reduces my taxes just a little bit (and get my money back) so I have more to spend and to save. Same thing with healthcare, I personally think Canada has one of the worst healthcare plans on earth and that america (pre-Obama) had the best system...and would be better by DE-regulating, not increasing it. less regulations, less taxes.

Theres a quote somewhere along the lines of a country wanting the ghost of total protection never getting it. Basically trying to have the government regulate every little thing like in canada and other socialist places doesnt ensure perfection or total protection. Its life, you will never have 100% protection, so stop with the little laws like I can't own a full automatic handgun because one person out of 400 million went crazy with one. That's why I as someone who believes they have a brain and need not be swaddled by government feel the government should be a tool for organizing the mail, roads, protection and emergency relief, but very little else.

P.S. china's environmental agenda? dude they pollute so much right now, my dad has been there, I've seen the smog there, its like 1960s california. everything else you said about trump and putin getting along, i see no real problem with that, on a day to day scale as an american, which is probably why I don't see a huge problem as the media blows it up every day. oh noes, we're gonna be friends with russia??? better than being there enemy if you've read a history book. believe me, they wont be overthrowing america anytime soon, we've still got everything in check.

lastly im quoting you. "That's not what's being said. It's that they alter the way they report a story to fit a specific political leaning. " you are saying FOX does this? over the other stations?

you are so liberal your blind dude. go read only peridicals for a week and then watch ABC or MSNBC. their bias is laugable, Fox is actually by far the most fair and balanced, i think people bitch on em so much cause the liberals have several stations and the conservatives have just Fox. Yeah fox may have a bias but its 10 times worse for the liberal stations. Its like...ever watch sports? Not the football game or the fight....the pre-game show. its hours or bitches whining 'here's a guy who has no idea how to play the game.' like hey why dont you get out there and play you 75 year old man? its hyperbole to the extreme, that's what the 5-oclock news is on like ABC. even the anchors who are supposed to be neutral have to run their opinion on stuff and try and guilt trip people like me just for being conservative and christian. im glad theres a pushback starting. every group hating the majority. well guess what? like the whiners and protesters im allowed my opinion too, and you can call my words hate speech but i dont have to change, and i wont give up my morals because its not trendy now (trendy, not trend-ing).

i dont remember what my point is cause i get bored easily. F the media, F you protesters who camp out for 7 or 8 weeks barking that someone else won the election, go home and work like I have to. But lastly, I can at least rest assured that though as a conservative american im a minority in the socialist countries of the world, but they dont get a vote here, so i can shout my opinions just like the liberals do without being sued for libel and slander. Stormy Daniels you're a golddigger so is your lawyer, there I said it, woo! Its yuri time!

Edit: Shit I was just supposed to bump the MLP thread, where is it again?
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 AM   #393
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
I forgot text limits existed.

Part 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
you misread that, countries get more LIBERAL as time moves on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
and yes in my eyes, making things more conservative, because as time passes, countries tend to grow more conservative. i [cite] America, the majority of Europe, even china (started as communism but most major cities are basically capitalist), and the list goes on.
...

Either way (and regardless of what your actual argument is here), I do not define the motions as either becoming more "liberal" or "conservative" as the typical notions of "liberal" and "conservative" are on the notions of how fast we adopt and embrace new concepts.

It's just because we are all too willing to accept easy definitions (a 1D continuum) rather than the complexity that the world really is that these ideas get tied to notions of economic freedoms and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
A country forms, its idealistic, you have freedom to do lots of stuff (at least as america was formed.) then people start causing trouble, one person does something stupid and a law is formed ruining it for everyone. millions of laws start this way (fireworks, one person hurt someone and a state outlaws it, don't text and drive, cause most people can do it at at lights but now no one can do it it all, and so forth.)
The quote I mean to discuss probably goes on further, but I didn't want to post the whole thing.

That's only an isolated example and I'm not sure even qualifies as one. Most of the laws you state wouldn't be of concern in the era and many are adjustments to realize flaws in the old laws produced when the technology was becoming emergent. As an excellent example, the development of either the automobile or the cell phone likely wouldn't have caused suspicion that one day there would a technology so rampant that it would take our eyes off the road.

Of course with more technology, we need more laws. And when our society changes, we change the laws to go with it. Just because laws are changed doesn't mean that they're automatically imposing more restrictions. Nor does it mean that old laws are by default good laws or are perfect to follow. If people think slavery is bad, then we have to impose a change in our laws to state "slavery is bad, please don't do it okay?".

Adding laws and striking laws are part of the natural order of a country. Recently, for example, Canada has decided that there is no strong evidence that marijuana is more dangerous than other controlled substances (ex - alcohol) and has struck the law stating it's illegal (in favour of laws similar to alcohol control: heavily taxes and regulated). Sure doesn't sound like they're restricting freedoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
in fact MOST laws in america do derive from someone doing something stupid and ruining it for the rest of us, at least in modern times.
Actually, most are derived from really boring rules to set up government programs and the like or are to further clarify the law (ex - Constitutional amendments 23 through 27 are mostly just boring adjustments like "You cannot restrict the right to vote for anybody 18+"). And all done in 20th century.

But, hey, the ones that make the news are always the ones which sound stupid, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
till you become like europe with crazy high sales taxes so the government has control of more things.
I skipped a bunch because it read more like a rant of things you don't like and didn't have a coherent argument anywhere in it.

To what I quoted above though, one must wonder if something is working well with the systems. The countries often seeing the highest population happiness and have very good economic growth either way (and retaining some of the highest GDP/capita). While I do not entirely buy whether or not it makes sense yet, I am fascinated that so many countries can run actual budget surpluses, provide so well for its citizens, and still grow.

Additionally, there has been no strong evidence in the "real world" that federal "big government" stifles jobs, make the government inefficient, or slow economic growth. In fact, using tradingeconomics, comparing the Nordic countries and their economic growth (ex - https://tradingeconomics.com/finland/gdp-growth-annual ) to the USA's ( https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...-growth-annual ) suggests that there is no strong difference in economic growth between them.

In theory? Yes. But the theory often makes insane sounding assumptions (ex - Microeconomics often assumes every consumer is perfectly well informed of every option in the market). Linking theory to reality isn't always easy.

As someone who graduated with an MBA, I think you'd be interested in reading the source and determining the validity of the case. The source is Lane Kenworthy (https://lanekenworthy.net/is-big-gov...r-the-economy/ ). It's actually quite an interesting article I found a few weeks ago and very well rationalized. That is, he argues while there will be a "tipping point" where spending too much of the economic output in taxes is an issue, no country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
The government TAKES your money in taxes, you have no choice,
You can live as a pirate on the open seas.

Or, in more realistic terms, you can live in an unincorporated territory and avoid your city tax bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I for one am smarter than the average bear
r/iamverysmart is over that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
not let someone invest for me.
So do many people. Investing solo is not exactly a secret art.

As an aside, I am still curious what metrics you use to invest though. I asked you before and I never got a response. It's something that always interests me as I find the investment style speaks to something about the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I would therefore like 401k and medicare destroyed to reduces my taxes just a little bit (and get my money back) so I have more to spend and to save. Same thing with healthcare, I personally think Canada has one of the worst healthcare plans on earth and that america (pre-Obama) had the best system...and would be better by DE-regulating, not increasing it. less regulations, less taxes.
1) Canadian system is "worst" because Canadians live longer and are happier on average than Americans? All while dedicating less % GDP on it (11.5% vs 17.9%)?

2) I actually agree that I'm not fully satisfied with Canadian healthcare. But the reasoning is because the government doesn't cover pharmacare (making Canada dubiously the only country with public healthcare but not public pharmacare).

3) The USA's healthcare is good for one thing: if you earn 6 or more digits annually and can afford to dump 5-6 digits on surgery and th like, you can get the best healthcare ever. Medical tourism to the USA for the millionaires exists for this reason. But that said, for the average person, you're paying more than expected for less than normal.

4) This is all discussing healthcare like it's a business. Most of the world has agreed that right to medical care is a human right as oppose to a good to be bought or sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Theres a quote somewhere along the lines of a country wanting the ghost of total protection never getting it.
This I agree with. We cannot be safe 100% of the time from 100% of things. The question always comes down to whether or not the next change adjusts the rate of something happening to an acceptable point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Basically trying to have the government regulate every little thing like in canada and other socialist places doesn't ensure perfection or total protection
1) Canada doesn't even fall under the idea of "socialist". Canada is actually pretty deregulated compared to most non-UK, non-USA modern powers.

2) Outside of laws regarding firearms, I don't see how the USA acts different in terms of security policy. Heck, one of the countries which would likely be the least "socalist" in your book in western Europe (UK) probably has the highest security aspect given their "cameras everywhere" notion.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 AM   #394
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Part 2/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
stop with the little laws like I can't own a full automatic handgun because one person out of 400 million went crazy with one.
I think the rest of the world isn't saying because one person. I've stated it before: no other country has a strong relationship between gun crime and gun ownership rates. The USA happens to be #1 in the developed world for guns, gun fatalities, and suicides while there is no trend elsewhere on earth with # of guns and crimes.

Why that is can be debated. But what's clear is that the USA has a huge problem with with guns compared to the other major nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
P.S. china's environmental agenda? dude they pollute so much right now, my dad has been there, I've seen the smog there, its like 1960s california.
Oh I don't disagree. China has a huge pollution problem (as I have been there multiple times). But that said, I didn't say that they had a good account.

I said that they are taking over the international push for improving their image while the USA is deciding to "nope" out of the environmental portfolio.

China has improved their public reputation significantly by basically saying "we're investing heavily in green technology" while the USA decides investing in coal is still a good idea (which, as most people who work in the GHG industries tell you, is probably the one thing everybody should be getting off of. It's a dying industry economically and is a mess when burned).

Are they clean? No. But have they begun presenting themselves as a greater authority on the international stage than the USA? Yeah. They have made their public stances about improving their country much better known and are growing in reputation in areas the USA has receded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
everything else you said about trump and putin getting along, i see no real problem with that, on a day to day scale as an american, which is probably why I don't see a huge problem as the media blows it
Russia is a hostile foreign power seeking to influence your own political process for its gain. It's trying to stack the deck of cards in the USA in its favour. And to that end, it was extremely successful.

These are crimes against the country (which is why so many Russians have been indicted in the current independent investigation) such that allying yourself with such and willingly hiding them from public eye could be a crime (waiting to see if that chip falls).

Russia has gained significantly out of it. And, to the day-to-day costs of an American, the pain is certainly coming in:

- The immediate effects are less tangible. The reputation of the USA is certainly heavily tarnished until Trump leaves office. Most countries think very poorly of the USA.

- The short term effects (1-2 years) will be costs passed to consumers. Trump's bombastic attitude has led to a wedge between multiple nations on the concept of free trade with the USA and his use of tariffs will result in significant pain on items for USA consumers. I remember you used to work with cars, so imagine the price of them and every physical component of them going up significantly (10-15% is likely). I remember speaking to some architects and house planners from the USA and they are expecting the cost of sheet aluminum to double, driving the cost of a house up 10k or so.

- The long term effects (3+ years) could easily be many countries outright ignoring the USA. Germany has already taken these steps, declaring that they cannot trust the White House and will walk around them when it comes to dealing with USA officials. Agreements could be worked without the USA as nobody wants to deal with a country which, every 4 years, might flip the table and go home. So the USA will be able to sustain itself, but will likely start losing out on opportunities to grow while everybody else plays together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
believe me, they wont be overthrowing america anytime soon,
Nobody said they would. But they, as a foreign power, can try to influence the results in their favour...a big no-no for most countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
"That's not what's being said. It's that they alter the way they report a story to fit a specific political leaning. " you are saying FOX does this? over the other stations?
Multiple USA news stations do (and why my consumption of American networks, beyond listening for the raw interview, is next to none).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Fox is actually by far the most fair and balanced,
Citation is needed to defend this. Just because they try the road of "we aren't condemning the White House" instead of outright defending doesn't make it balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
its hyperbole to the extreme,
Remind me never to watch USA's pregame shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
every group hating the majority. well guess what?
Christian. Conservative. Minority.

None of this computes. Christianity is ~70% of the USA with about 65% of the "White evangelical" vote landing as Republican.

And given the typical definition of "conservative" basically reading "Republican" in the polarized environment, the "conservatives" are about 50% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
go home and work like I have to.
I thought you were fired.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:44 AM   #395
Kid Charlemagne
Might as well jump--JUMP!
 
Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
 
Location : The Arkanshire
LEAST. CONVINCING. TRAP. EVER.

Spoiler: show
__________________

Yes. Yes, they do.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 AM   #396
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
once again i dont get your comic (they arent funny if you have to explain em). is someone calling trump a tranny or a trap? He hosted miss america, that suits him, but are you calling miss piggy a dude? Like, I get it, you don't like Trump, but lots of these comics are so far in and imply and assume so much shit that conservatives don't follow that they're not gonna get pissed at the comics, so is this JUST for liberals...in the know? or just a trump bash fest?
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Thane of Cawdor; 08-15-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 AM   #397
Kid Charlemagne
Might as well jump--JUMP!
 
Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
 
Location : The Arkanshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
once again i dont get your comic (they arent funny if you have to explain em). is someone calling trump a tranny or a trap? He hosted miss america, that suits him, but are you calling miss piggy a dude? Like, I get it, you don't like Trump, but lots of these comics are so far in and imply and assume so much shit that conservatives don't follow that they're not gonna get pissed at the comics, so is this JUST for liberals...in the know? or just a trump bash fest?
If Kirant is right above that you have an MBA, then that means you have a higher level of formal education than I do, since I only have a BA in History. You should not need me to explain things to you.

Meanwhile: Faux Noise bimbo Trish Regan takes a swipe at Denmark, and a Dane swipes back.

Click here

Hey, Trish! This meganekko is you.
Spoiler: show


Don't **** with the Danes. They used to be these dudes.
Spoiler: show
__________________

Yes. Yes, they do.

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 08-16-2018 at 02:31 AM.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 AM   #398
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
see? "denmark's social safety net". the heck does that mean? having a good formal education, knowing how to calculate eigenvectors and integrals, reading electrical schematics, yeah thats one education. But modern politics has been infested by twits who makeup new words that don't last 10 years. Its not worth my time, or anyone's, to even bother caring about most current events. If something is HUGE, I'll hear about it, but I'm calmer and less frustrated since I stopped watching the 5 o clock news altogether. There's a TV at the place I get my drinks at, its got on Foxnews sometimes, so for those 2 minutes, that's all the news I get. If something is massive and on TV for 24 hours, ill hear about it. I heard "manafort" and assumed someone mispronounced "mana fortress" from Secret of Mana, don't know who that is, don't care. Its a matter of realizing that I've got so much time and need not waste it on current dictation of how a public controls itself. Trump got in office and passed his tax bill. I'm good for paying attention for the next 2 to 6 years, unless a law comes about taking more of my civil liberties away, then wake me up. This is how lots and lots of conservatives think. You can call it lazy, but if you were to see it our way you'd see it as more of a transcendence thing. 10 years from now the hooker who banged Trump won't matter in the same way that since Bill didn't get removed from president, monica lewinski doesn't matter, so wasting to much effort just doesn't matter. I admit this political typing I'm doing is in a way just keeping me sharp to finish my yuri fanfics, otherwise I take it with a grain of salt.

See how I derail and just go on and on? Try it, it's more fun than political debating and leaves a better taste in your mouth :) Yuri time
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #399
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
see? "denmark's social safety net". the heck does that mean? having a good formal education, knowing how to calculate eigenvectors and integrals, reading electrical schematics, yeah thats one education.
The "Nordic Model" of government actually has very clear concepts:

- High economic freedom with little product market regulation

- High economic mobility (that is, the "American dream" that people can move freely in income brackets based on their inherent worth)

- Significant percentage of workforce under labour unions

- Reduction of corruption

- Elaborate social safety nets (as oppose to welfare): education and healthcare are universal and tax funded

- Significant GDP on public spending (45%+ is the norm)

- High, but relatively flat, tax rates

It's fascinating. They have balanced budgets (something the USA can only dream of), some of the happiest populations on earth, and GDP growth at the same level as the USA's. I am still not confident I understand the details or if it makes sense for all countries to try out, but their current status is pretty amazing.

Edit - And, since you specifically bring up Denmark, the link KC used also points out:

- Denmark has a higher employment rate than the USA

- Denmark is one of the best places for entrepreneurs, far higher than the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
but I'm calmer and less frustrated since I stopped watching the 5 o clock news altogether.
To be fair, evening news in the USA also kind of suck at the "reporting" part of news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
This is how lots and lots of conservatives think. You can call it lazy, but if you were to see it our way you'd see it as more of a transcendence thing.
Well, they do say ignorance is bliss. Though I'd prefer to see the world for what it is than live in a fictional utopia.

Funny how half my comments on this subject are basically Persona 4 reworded. That truth, even a painful one, is better than living in blissful delusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
in the same way that since Bill didn't get removed from president,
But it did matter. The fact that the Republicans in House opted to impeach because of Clinton's lies set a new precedent for what is impeachable. We set a new bar (well, a new floor) for what is "bad" enough to impeach on.

I doubt we'd get repeated calls for the impeachment of W Bush, Obama, and Trump had this not occurred.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 08-16-2018 at 06:08 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #400
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
Nixon got impeached cause he covered up his spying. Obama did the same spying...no one cares anymore.

I gotta comment on your 'utopia' comment. Typical canadian mindset there, it really shows you will waste your whole life unhappy trying to fix every little thing, saying i bury my head in the sand. But so many people who say that crap dont DO anything about it. barking over and over about politics doesnt actually accomplish anything. I'm at least honest that I'm biased and human, you can keep looking for the worst and saying look how bad this is, id prefer to say look how far we've come...but at the same time having to say look how much better things WERE because of hyperliberal progressives that can't leave well enough alone and want to punish everyone for the sake of trying to make one whiner have one less thing to whine about. THATS a lost cause.

The USA doesnt seem to have a problem reporting the news, its the delivery. using teasers for shock value, thats bullshit. "tonight at 5, are your kids safe? is your drinking water deadly? will you get raped? find out at 5!" and people are like "holy crap i gotta know!" and they say...well you're ok but things COULD be bad. and the anchors wont shut up with their own commentary. its a circus. what's stupid is when people harp on fox, claiming they do this to a higher degree yet they're refering to commentary programs like Oreilly, which ISNT news, its a commentary, like the daily show. I think cause these shows have a big fanbase the anchors try doing it, cause its about ratings. You really do have to go back to old fashioned news paper articles to get unbiased news to make your own opinion about.

increased labor unions and reduced corruption? No i think that's total size. the smaller the country the easier it is for the government to be monitored by the people thus the US problem (and before you say it i mean republics and democracies, not monarchs and their cronies like Hussein and Castro). but 45% spending on education? holy crap, must be a small country, if we spent that on education in america, we'd have a personal robot for every single child, our military aint that much hehe.

america would have a lot less product regulation too...if we could only get rid of west california. so canada....save your pennies (or loony tunes or whatever its called) and we will sell you Cali. Until it shifts up toward alaska, you'll have some warm weather and liberal hipsters, go nuts.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Theme By : Companyturk