Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Lucky Star > Anime

Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
McKnight

Will dubbing ever continue?

I know Bandai Entertainment has pretty much gone under, but is it possible that dubbing of Lucky Star anime material will ever continue? I would like to see things like the OAV and Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku get dubbed, as well as any possible future seasons and spinoffs. At least manga can be scanlated, but for animated stuff, it would be nice to hear the characters speak in English, even if a possible new team of voice actors don't quite match the characters' original voices.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
ronelm2000
Kazumiism/Yuiism Author

I worry more for the manga volumes. I really wanna see Vol 9 & 10 in English.......
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

i doubt it, but you never know, another company might license it at some point ^_^
i'd much rather have the rest of the manga being released in english, as far as i'm aware no one's scanlating the japanese versions anymore :I
Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

It's entirely possible. Sentai Filmworks has relicensed and dubbed the remaining K-On! anime material, so it's not out of the question for them to do the same with Lucky Star.

I'd personally love to watch a dubbed version of either the Lucky Star OVA or Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku.
Currently Watching: My Hero Academia, Persona 5: The Animation
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Jassassino
Il Principe

I hope Miyakawa-Ke gets its dub, it'll annoy me otherwise.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Kagami

You can hope and it may be possible, but don't get your hopes up. It's a dismal market out there and Lucky Star didn't fare too well on western shores, so I wouldn't expect any companies to leap at the chance anytime soon.
Kagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
You can hope and it may be possible, but don't get your hopes up. It's a dismal market out there and Lucky Star didn't fare too well on western shores, so I wouldn't expect any companies to leap at the chance anytime soon.
This is true. Let's face it, slice-of-life anime don't have a very good life expectancy here in English-speaking countries.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Misao
Posting Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
I know Bandai Entertainment has pretty much gone under, but is it possible that dubbing of Lucky Star anime material will ever continue? I would like to see things like the OAV and Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku get dubbed, as well as any possible future seasons and spinoffs. At least manga can be scanlated, but for animated stuff, it would be nice to hear the characters speak in English, even if a possible new team of voice actors don't quite match the characters' original voices.
Even though BANDAI isn't producing anymore in the USA, the studio that recorded the dub, BangZoom!, is still active. But getting the license from BANDAI will prove near impossible.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misao View Post
Even though BANDAI isn't producing anymore in the USA, the studio that recorded the dub, BangZoom!, is still active. But getting the license from BANDAI will prove near impossible.
That's not how licensing works.

When a company that owns a particular license goes under, that license reverts back to its original distributor/creator. In this case, Bandai's right to Lucky Star reverted back to Kadokawa Shoten, the company that gave Bandai the license in the first place. After the license is reclaimed by the original distributor/creator, other companies can file through the available series' catalogs that the distributor/creator keeps on hand and choose which licenses they want to buy the rights to. Admittedly, I'm making anime licensing sounds far more simple than it actually is, since you have to deal with rights ranging from master copies to music to scripts to distribution methods, but the point is to give an idea of how licensing works, not get into the nitty-gritty.

So basically, the license has reverted back to Kadokawa Shoten and it's up to another company to find the show in Kadokawa's catalogs and license it.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
BlueAuraEX
The Blue Aura

This licensing conversation kinda brings me back to the music licensing crisis of 1993 with Sonic The Hedgehog CD for the SEGA CD. Apparently: Many of the songs in the original edit of Sonic CD were owned by third-party music divisions, and when the game made the jump to American shores, it was rumored some of these divisions didn't exactly cooperate with SEGA about the transition.

I'm not being racist at all when I say this, but I think, during that time, some asians may have had a few problems with the US, especially since Sonic The Hedgehog 2 was being developed in the US and not in Japan, where SEGA naturally develops their Sonic titles.

Anyways, back on-track here: Licensing can be a real pain in the ass, especially whenever it comes to something as fragile as dubbing a foreign film or anime. The Godzilla franchise is also a good example of this, but again, off-topic. My basic point is, while it's cool to think someday we'd see some more dubs with Lucky Star, or just KyoAni anime in general?

It's probably never gonna happen, since a lot of American fans are pretty much already dead-set on the VA's chosen for the Bandai dubs of most KyoAni anime (or at least Lucky Star for that matter) and would probably not like a new dubbing lineup for the anime very much. Seeing all these horrid licensing issues, I guess this is a big reason why a lot of anime fans stick to subs over dubs.

I think the only reason I'm so hooked on dubs though, is because every anime I ever watched as a kid was always dubbed, and also, Godzilla movies I watched were also always dubbed, so that doesn't help...It's hard loving something that's not made in your own country, and since the Japanese make just about "all" the good shit today?...Oi yoi, it can be a royal pain.

"What is love? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more." "Gimmi my Yuki!"
BlueAuraEX is offline   Reply With Quote