Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #361
kirant
I (somehow) evolved Ditto

...Ah crap. A reply came in while I was typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
And yeah Trump's edict now groups people in detention opposed to separating them, that's what the people barked over, he did it, and now people complain that it sucks, ya don't like it either way,
Actually, people "barked" because he created situations where current laws cannot interact well.

1) The Flores settlement states you cannot detain children 20+ days

2) Processing claims takes over 20 days

3) Criminal prosecution separates families from children.

In light of these two not working well, Obama had opted to not prosecute families criminally (unless they were repeat offenders) but still removed them from the USA. It just wasn't typically treated as civil.

Trump introduced a fourth point:

4) Prosecute all groups crossing the borders, even families.

Now you can see the issue here:

- If all families are all prosecuted, then it'll be almost positive that they'll take 20+ days to process

- You can choose to take away the children or leave them in detention

- If you take away the children, you end up with the previous result (which everyone hates - even in the partisan nature of today's USA, support is only ~50% among Republican voters). This is something Trump obviously felt was too politically damaging for his image.

- If you keep the children with the families, you'll likely break the Flores settlement.

The situation could easily be withdrawn if 4) was stricken by Sessions/Trump.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #362
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

kirant i dont see what you're laughin at.

But to use your own words, by your definition of concentration camp, that includes 'in school suspension' or ISS. Wanna defend that? And yes I was talking about the nazi version of a concentration camp. The places where again TEMP holding happens, is by no means close to a death camp for everyone in it, and don't go over point by point again, you know what I mean. This is

This is boring, time for dinner :) I can't do this day in day out, you guys need to stop watchin the news every day, its unhealthy for you. I'm gonna go back to once a month. If something HUGE happens like Lucky Star gets a 2nd season...i'll find out.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #363
kirant

Quote:
kirant i dont see what you're laughin at.
Can't help you if your sense of irony is broken.

Quote:
But to use your own words, by your definition of concentration camp, that includes 'in school suspension' or ISS. Wanna defend that?
- Not persecuted without trial (trial already occurred)

- The targeted are not "aliens, members of ethnic minorities or political opponents" or a group of similar nature

- Typically not defined as guarded to prevent exit (Or maybe your schools are. The most I ever had was doors which locked to prevent entry).

- Probably more, but I think I've made my point.

Really, an in school suspension is more similar to a low security prison sentence than concentration camp.

Quote:
The places where again TEMP holding happens, is by no means close to a death camp for everyone in it, and don't go over point by point again, you know what I mean.
I will still disagree that it's not unfair to call it one though. You can disagree (and the reason you disagree is why many have wanted to change the definition of the German concentration camps to "extermination camps" as it's a special brand of evil) but what you have is arguably definable as a concentration camp.

Quote:
If something HUGE happens like Lucky Star gets a 2nd season...i'll find out.
This statement assumes that it's impossible to keep in touch on more than one group of topics.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #364
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

Spoiler: show

WE HATESSS IMMIGRANTSSS, PRECIOUSSS! WE HATESSS THEM FOREVER!!!1!

Later, of course:

Link to Yas's blog

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 06-25-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #365
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Once again, KC, translate. Where's the joke or the jab?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 AM   #366
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

Quote:
Once again, KC, translate. Where's the joke or the jab?
Madoka damn it, NO.

I am TIRED of explaining things to you.

How many times do I need to repeat that?

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #367
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

That sounded condescending. My turn. I think you're one of those hyperliberals who is in so deep that you can only make offensive remarks at people on the other side because in truth you're comics arent clever, they are JUST mean and offensive. by hyperliberal, i dont mean your people with liberal beliefs and ways of economics and those who might be agnostic, i mean the ones who are athiests and then make fun of christians because they mock their beliefs and claim every religion is wrong, the truly-closed minded hypocrites, which I don't think you are quite at that level, I hope. And again, if a joke has to be explained, its not funny. Your picture posts require a translater, maybe they make sense to your small circle, but if people just arent getting them (and i know im one person but i dont get MOST of em), then they're just using shock value and lack any good content. Anyone can point out a hypocracy. Hey look....um....Trump wants to open the border with North Korea and limit the one on Mexico. If that were the case and you had a before and after, you could allude to it, rather than these pictures that might show refugees at the korea border vs ones at the mexico border, and without the 'mathematical second step' everyone is just going "what?" or are these jokes truly JUST for people that are in your circles only?

There. Ya didn't get tired of explaining crap to me if you never did it the first time.

This thread will make you sick and angry posting too often as I learned.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:43 AM   #368
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

You know how to use a search engine.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:47 AM   #369
kirant

I don't tend to wade into the comics anymore, but this one isn't exactly hard to figure out. Any basic internet search yields the results needed...or, hell, even watching any of the top rated movies of the last 20 years would have given the same results (honestly, I can't believe those movies are 15-17 years old).

I think the problem with the joke in this case (putting aside the actual humour of them) is the person reading. These are at the same level of widespread pop culture knowledge as knowing what "Gotta catch 'em all" means. That is, they're pretty universally recognized even if you're not a fan of the medium. Actually, I'd put this as more universal than Pokemon references.

There should really be no need to translate or explain the joke since it's pretty self-evident.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 AM   #370
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

You can call me out of touch all you want or you can just explain it to me, I DIDNT get it, and you won't tell me what to search for? do i search for precious? Is this a silence of the lambs reference? is 'cryin chuch schumer' the joke? never heard of him, or if this sssss snake talk is referencing a movie, how do you search for something that vague? If you had a thumbs up next to like a picture of the movie you're referencing, thats a pop culture reference. I think you two are just in SO deep that you'd need to be a liberal 'in the know' to get these shots, meaning the people you are taking shots at don't get it...so these jokes are for you, not the general concensus. what say you?