Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Lucky Star > Manga

Old 06-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #21
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerallyBananas View Post
Its so sad to see the comicbook and manga industries die this way
Well the manga industry at least is doing a lot better in recent years I think. More and more things keep getting licensed, so something must be right. Light novels are also becoming more popular as well- the last time I went to my local bookstore there was a fairly decent selection.

It's just that Lucky Star is fading into obscurity as modern anime fans simply want different things.
Things like Crunchyroll manga don't help, I'm sure, but we'll have to wait to see what the long term effects are for that.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:49 AM   #22
DustHalls

^
I definitely agree. I'm still taken aback every time I go to a Barnes&Noble and think, "Woah, they've licensed this series?!" Even though I should be already used to it by now, lol.

Also, the moe scene has been overtaken by idol anime lately, what with the massive popularity of Love Live and Idolmaster, so it's a pretty natural conclusion that most anime fans would move on. Though that might be just in the west, since the other day I decided to browse Pixiv and was shocked by the amount of LS artwork that is uploaded every day. It's not on the same level as other new, popular anime, but everything considered, it's still going strong.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #23
Simply Hiiragi
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustHalls View Post
^
I definitely agree. I'm still taken aback every time I go to a Barnes&Noble and think, "Woah, they've licensed this series?!" Even though I should be already used to it by now, lol.

Also, the moe scene has been overtaken by idol anime lately, what with the massive popularity of Love Live and Idolmaster, so it's a pretty natural conclusion that most anime fans would move on. Though that might be just in the west, since the other day I decided to browse Pixiv and was shocked by the amount of LS artwork that is uploaded every day. It's not on the same level as other new, popular anime, but everything considered, it's still going strong.
Barnes and Noble always has a good selection of manga and novels to choose from which is always good to see. I always order all of my manga from them or if i'm already out and near by i'll just go to the store myself, but most of the time I just order online.

Yes LS is doing fairly well over there yet, but that's only cause it's still on going and so it's still on people's minds. I don't know how relevant it would still be over there if it had ended. It's just the cycle everything goes through it will be huge for a while, but eventually things will calm down and people will move on and want something else, but sometimes things will reemerge for a little bit again before fading away again.
LS still doing well and being relevant over there is good, but how it will effect things over here and in the long run who knows that remains to be seen yet.

So you've come to the right place for all things Lucky Star since it's not quite the same here as it's kind of faded.
The idol seen has grown over the years and has always been a big deal over there so it's not surprising to see more anime be centered around idols or certain ones become as popular as they do. I'm more of an Idolmaster fan myself especially Cinderella Girls.

As in terms of new LS art there is some new work that pops up every now and then, but there used to be a lot more then there is now. It's always good to see anything new that's LS related that's always a good thing.
It's better than having no Lucky Star so at least there's still something going on with it yet.

Last edited by Simply Hiiragi; 06-13-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Simply Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
tsumatachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Hiiragi View Post
I know how you feel i'm in the same boat as i'm sure others are to. Makes for kind of an ackward collection when you have the first 8 physically and then the rest digital. We would indeed be lucky if the rest ever got physical releases, but I really don't see that happening. Might just have to settle for the digital's cause hey it's better than having no Lucky Star.
That is very true! It does seem like the Western audience for the manga has kind of fizzled out a bit, so it makes more sense for the company to release them digitally, seeing as it's cheaper.
tsumatachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #25
DustHalls

^
Yeah. Though I have a feeling that most western fans were actually fans of the anime specifically. I know of some people who were Lucky Star anime-only fans and didn't have any interest in the manga. I think this kind of thing happens specifically with 4-koma that have been adapted into anime (especially if it's done by KyoAni, who are known to beautifully expand on the original source material). I know for a fact that a bunch of K-On! fans went to grab the manga after the anime finished airing, only to be turned off by the 4-koma format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Hiiragi View Post
The idol seen has grown over the years and has always been a big deal over there so it's not surprising to see more anime be centered around idols or certain ones become as popular as they do. I'm more of an Idolmaster fan myself especially Cinderella Girls.
Yeah, I haven't watched any idol anime yet, since I've never been interested in idol culture, but now I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about. I should get on it soon.

Last edited by DustHalls; 06-13-2015 at 08:23 PM.
DustHalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #26
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

i've always found it odd that westerners are turned off by 4koma manga, a lot of the most popular western comics are 4 panel.
plus it's more accessible, easier to find a point to stop reading at than ordinary manga and it takes less time to read a chapter than watch the corresponding anime episode.
but to each their own, i suppose ^_^

and dusthalls, Cinderella Girls season 2 starts next month, if you watch season 1 now you can join us as it's airing :P
Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #27
DustHalls

I know. I love the 4-koma format for comedies. It's concise and straight to the point. Especially when it's combined with boke-tsukkomi character interactions, to which it lends itself to beautifully, lol.

Though I have read some 4-koma manga that were butchered by the format. Which usually happened with manga that tried to have some semblance of a story, but still decide to go with a 4-koma format. I'll never understand why a mangaka would do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
and dusthalls, Cinderella Girls season 2 starts next month, if you watch season 1 now you can join us as it's airing :P
Uwah, I'll have to hurry up, then! I might have to put Haikyuu on hold.

Will I have to watch the Idolmaster beforehand?
Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #28
tsumatachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustHalls View Post
^
Yeah. Though I have a feeling that most western fans were actually fans of the anime specifically. I know of some people who were Lucky Star anime-only fans and didn't have any interest in the manga. I think this kind of thing happens specifically with 4-koma that have been adapted into anime (especially if it's done by KyoAni, who are known to beautifully expand on the original source material). I know for a fact that a bunch of K-On! fans went to grab the manga after the anime finished airing, only to be turned off by the 4-koma format.
Oh no! But 4 koma is great, especially for slice-of-life stories. It can be difficult to make the same effect with long chapters.
I can understand enjoying kyoani's adaptations (I love their series generally, especially how the did K-ON!), but if the manga series is longer, you often get a lot more in-depth information about the characters, which is nice :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
i've always found it odd that westerners are turned off by 4koma manga, a lot of the most popular western comics are 4 panel.
plus it's more accessible, easier to find a point to stop reading at than ordinary manga and it takes less time to read a chapter than watch the corresponding anime episode.
but to each their own, i suppose ^_^
Maybe 4 koma is like the Western short story? Even though it's quicker to read a short story, lots of people don't like them. (Although a big difference would be the short stories having different protagonists.)
tsumatachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:19 PM   #29
Simply Hiiragi
-

I went and checked out the manga after K-On! finished airing and I loved the manga just as much as I liked the anime and I know many others actually did to unless they've changed there tune now, but I still liked all of it. Sunshine Sketch is actually my favorite manga I really like Ume Aoki's work.
Same goes for Lucky Star I love the manga just as much as I like the anime. Most of the time I end up checking out the manga after the anime and i'm usually pretty satisfied. Though to be honest i'm still into anime more than I am manga, but it just depends on the anime and how big of a fan I am of it to go out and check the manga.
It just sometimes depends on who you ask or the group or other things, but 4 koma is best for slice of life. So no idea why some would be turned off by it while other comics end up doing very well as Sheep mentioned. I have no problem with whatever format it might be in. As long as it's good, enjoyable, and is interesting in some way then i'll keep reading it.
Simply Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #30
DustHalls

^
Well, with the exclusion of a few episodes, the Lucky Star anime was basically an animated 4-koma in terms of presentation. The same cannot be said of the K-On! anime, which ultimately felt more like a coming of age story, building up the light music club and their relationship with each other throughout each episode. In that sense, K-On! (the anime) ended up being much more than just a bunch of gags put together, so I definitely understand why people would be put off by the 4-koma style they got from the manga. Now, I'm not saying the anime was better or worse because of that; just that the people looking for more K-On! in the manga being disappointed is a natural conclusion when we have such a big gap in the presentation.