Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Anime & Manga

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #2441
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

So far I'm only watching Magical Circle Guru Guru.

EDIT: Avatar related.
Currently Watching: Pop Team Epic, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Darling in the FRANXX, Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san
Currently Playing: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Persona 4 Golden
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 07-12-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #2442
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

The hosts for one of the podcasts I cohost, Zeke, wants me to watch Accel World so we can do an episode on it, so I'm doing that.
Currently Watching: Pop Team Epic, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Darling in the FRANXX, Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san
Old 07-19-2017, 05:15 AM   #2443
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Finally got around to watching the third season of Zero no Tsukaima after several years. Despite never watching any of the show when it aired and not being particularly attached to it, man does it give off a vibe of nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
The hosts for one of the podcasts I cohost, Zeke, wants me to watch Accel World so we can do an episode on it, so I'm doing that.
What are your thoughts on it so far? A lot of people really dislike it for the design of the MC, but beyond that don't seem to say too much about it. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it never really jumped at me as a favorite.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #2444
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
What are your thoughts on it so far? A lot of people really dislike it for the design of the MC, but beyond that don't seem to say too much about it. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it never really jumped at me as a favorite.
Decided to wait until I was near done with the show to answer this, but overall I really like it. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about how a character is designed as long as they're interesting, and Haruyuki certainly is interesting. And really, I think Haruyuki has a great non-standard design. It's very refreshing having a main character of a Shonen action anime who isn't stereotypically good-looking or physically fit. If anything, it best showcases Accel World's concept of the mind being the only real tool in a Burst Linker's arsenal. And I think Haruyuki has a very compelling character development arc as he becomes more independent and proactive, solving his own issues and not relying on other people to bail him out, instead becoming the kind of person who can help and protect others under his own power.

I'll likely go into more detail later (more than likely in a podcast, which is where I expand on my thoughts for a lot of anime and shows I watch now), but it's a great show.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #2445
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Quote:
Decided to wait until I was near done with the show to answer this, but overall I really like it. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about how a character is designed as long as they're interesting, and Haruyuki certainly is interesting. And really, I think Haruyuki has a great non-standard design. It's very refreshing having a main character of a Shonen action anime who isn't stereotypically good-looking or physically fit. If anything, it best showcases Accel World's concept of the mind being the only real tool in a Burst Linker's arsenal. And I think Haruyuki has a very compelling character development arc as he becomes more independent and proactive, solving his own issues and not relying on other people to bail him out, instead becoming the kind of person who can help and protect others under his own power.

I'll likely go into more detail later (more than likely in a podcast, which is where I expand on my thoughts for a lot of anime and shows I watch now), but it's a great show.
I know you've probably said it elsewhere on the forum, but I'm not sure where to look, so I'll just ask here- what's the name of the podcast you're doing this for? I'm interested in checking it out. Need something to listen to during a super long drive I'll have to make soon.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #2446
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
I know you've probably said it elsewhere on the forum, but I'm not sure where to look, so I'll just ask here- what's the name of the podcast you're doing this for? I'm interested in checking it out. Need something to listen to during a super long drive I'll have to make soon.
I'll be bringing up Accel World on Baka Gaijin Show. It's on ZekeFreek's YouTube channel, so I hope that's fine.

I'm also part of another podcast called Otaku Midnight, which is on kyuubethe3rd's channel, if you're interested.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:50 AM   #2447
Misao
Posting Freak

Still following Sakura Quest, Welcome to the Ballroom, and A Centaur's Life. I moved and gave up cable, so I am using Sling.tv to watch Toonami now.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #2448
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Quote:
I'll be bringing up Accel World on Baka Gaijin Show. It's on ZekeFreek's YouTube channel, so I hope that's fine.

I'm also part of another podcast called Otaku Midnight, which is on kyuubethe3rd's channel, if you're interested.
Thanks! I'll be sure to check out some episodes
Old 07-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #2449
kirant
Just another Friday night

If it's worth keeping track of how backlogged my anime viewing is, I just got to Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica.

I mean...I liked parts of it. I really liked parts of it. Homura is an incredibly fascinating character (though I think it's also because I really have a soft spot for the whole kuudere archetype). The whole twist which takes it from a dark magical girl series to a more Lovecraftian tale is great...even if it's a Lovecraftian tale with an emergency exit to make it less depressing.

On the other side of things, the ending absolutely felt simultaneously rushed and poorly executed. Everything after episode 10, which felt like the narrative climax, was a heck of a lot of talking and trying to explain what's going on in the limited time they had left. I mean, I'm not going to be one of those who didn't think that a happy ending wasn't acceptable...there are people who seem to wanted it to crash straight into grimdark territory. I don't see it working that way here. That said, it mostly felt like it was hastily jumping from scene to scene, desperately trying to create the ending it wanted.

And on the other, other side of things, Kyubey is really actually quite interesting. You listen to the internet and it's basically about two steps away from being the worst thing that could ever exist. But it's much more complex than that...

Finally, the other, other, other side of things is the fact that the show gets a huge reputation between different fandom groups that it really doesn't deserve. People pull it into yuri fandom, feminist rants, and terrorism (though this one was brought on by Urobochi due to poor word choice). I really don't see many arguments for most of the above...and it's kind of sad that the work gets dragged into all the above.

It's strange...the show is so polarized on all fronts...parts of it are visually stunning and elegant. Then you get scenes which are obviously just there to eat time or save money. And the same thing happens with the story itself.

I guess the tl;dr version is that it's a terrific series, albeit very flawed in some cases?

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #2450
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Once again from suggestion by Zeke and to prepare for a planned podcast, I'm watching Death Note.

EDIT: Finished Death Note.

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 08-07-2017 at 02:09 AM.