Lucky Star Shrine Forums
 
Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 AM   #401
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Nixon got impeached cause he covered up his spying. Obama did the same spying...no one cares anymore.
Nixon got impeached for attempting to unduly influence a United States election, lying about his actions, and abusing his station of government to cover it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Typical canadian mindset there,
Is there some sort of stereotype I'm not aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
it really shows you will waste your whole life unhappy trying to fix every little thing,
Nobody said you have to fix it (though you probably should if it's within your realm of influence). But be aware of the world and realize it for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
But so many people who say that crap dont DO anything about it.
At least you're talking about what's actually correct and can agree on the facts of the matter.

Basing your argument on falsehoods or misconceptions because that's all you know in your own isolated little circle is not helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
id prefer to say look how far we've come
I've never said that we shouldn't. We should be happy with what we've done so far.

But that said, we should look at the road ahead and realize that we have a long way to go. We are nowhere near the top yet. So let's get together and discuss what the next move is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
The USA doesnt seem to have a problem reporting the news,
It really does. Networks end up reporting half the story, omitting key details or not providing satisfactory context on others.

Not to mention the long list of fluff pieces many offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
You really do have to go back to old fashioned news paper articles to get unbiased news to make your own opinion about.
Electronic "news wire" sources like Reuters and Associated Press are amazing at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
the smaller the country the easier it is for the government to be monitored by the people thus the US problem
Not really...if you look at a list of corruptions (well, perception of it anyways as actually measuring it is near impossible), you'll find random big countries like Germany near the top:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...ceptions_Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
but 45% spending on education? holy crap, must be a small country, if we spent that on education in america, we'd have a personal robot for every single child, our military aint that much hehe.
The 45% is aggregate of all social programs.

If you were to take the model of Norway or Finland and convert the USA to its model, that would only be a 20-25% increase in spending on social programs...an increase in expenditure entirely dwarfed by the USA military's budget size. Heck, if you use Iceland as a model, Iceland spends less of its GDP than the USA on these programs (and has comparable GDP per capita) but still manages to top it in many fields.

What really gets the USA right now is inefficiencies in program distribution. Healthcare, for example, costs more and does less in the USA unless you're willing to shell out 5 or 6 digits of cash per operation.

In other words, the private side of USA's healthcare is great...but only works if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars to burn on a single procedure.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #402
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
America shouldnt spend that much on social problems cause we're not, whats the word, SOCIAList. That's for people who want the government to run unions, their retirement, every single thing. I can save my own money, and maybe our crappy education is why our government thinks the average american is too stupid to save their own money, thus medicare. I for one would trim medicare and welfare to the point of being almost non-existant as they interfere with the american dream and the ability to make up your own choices with your own money. welfare is severly abused and was supposed to be a pick me up for people who needed it, when what we need is money management and accounting integrated into primary school economics, as not enough people can do basic money management. Please understand my gripe is with welfare, NOT disability, those are different entities.

our healthcare is the worst is you ask me, Obama takes the blame for that screwup. The system needs an overhaul, and privitization has shown to work better and boost effeciency, running them like a profitable business opposed to a government entity will help. IE keeping some of your old equipment that works well enough to treat someone for a cold rather than them not being able to pay for medicine and just 'dealing with it.' it should be run more effectively, and screw the government mandate to NEED to buy insurance, as car insurance is an option as driving is, but no one asked to be born and mandating that i should pay for insurance for breathing is a shot in the face.

what say we get together and privatize all medicine in a larger and more cost effective way? america has the best insurance although expensive, and free healthcare has a wait that can kill you, and being canadian you know that's true.

and yeah there is a stereotype about canadians, mostly that they complain about their post office all the time (ive dealt with purolator, they suck), and not leaving well enough alone. my theory is its too damn cold and you dont get enough sunshine. Get rid of quebec and join america, we have cookies.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #403
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
America shouldnt spend that much on social problems cause we're not, whats the word, SOCIAList.
1) The policies aren't socialist. The Nordic countries actually make it a point to identify that the perception in the USA is wrong (that it would be "welfare on drugs"). Their policies actually exist to encourage workforce participation (and their excel at this, with some amazingly productive employment numbers). Much of it is equal opportunity, meaning that most of the services are available for the poor and wealthy alike.

2) And 30 years ago, Russia was a 1 party rule under the guise of communism. It isn't that anymore. And a couple hundred years ago, the USA was debating if slavery was a good or bad thing.

Things change. Just because the recent history of the USA has been to treat "public services" as a dirty term doesn't mean that it's by default wrong. And to default assuming it's not good because of recent history is to lose sight of what's pragmatic and what could be ultimately better.

(Edit - 20 -> 30. Math before bed isn't a strong suit of mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I for one would trim medicare and welfare to the point of being almost non-existant as they interfere with the american dream
I would claim the bigger threat to the "American dream" is the inability to move economically. Those who are born into money in the USA mostly get to keep it while those who don't earn much don't get "their shot".

Funny enough, the Nordic countries actually do a better job with the American dream than the USA (with some of the highest economic mobility in the world).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
our healthcare is the worst is you ask me, Obama takes the blame for that screwup.
The system was worse before then. At least some of the pressures were reduced under the system.

I will agree Obama did one thing wrong: he didn't go all-in. His original proposal actually had a method for curtailing inflating premiums. However, as part of compromising to ensure it would pass Congress, he struck down part of the proposed ACA. That issue has been rising the last little while

Given how he was pretty much a lame duck for 6 years after, I would have thrown every piece of political capital to get the abandoned part in and avoid the whole premiums issue that exists today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
The system needs an overhaul, and privitization has shown to work better and boost effeciency,
Evidence is needed.

I mean, there is little tangible evidence to back this up. In fact, the best countries for health and well being tend to run fully public healthcare.

All while spending less than the significantly private USA, who spends the most per person on health care but with, again, mediocre results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
america has the best insurance although expensive, and free healthcare has a wait that can kill you, and being canadian you know that's true.
Not really.

Canadian healthcare has a triage system. Does it mean some wait? Yes. However, if you need something, you're at the front of the line.

As an example, my uncle needed strict open heart surgery. A matter of life and death. Not "emergency operation" critical, but certainly needed to be done in a hurry.

He was in the surgery room within a couple days.

Those who wait are those who are in discomfort but not dangerous to their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
mostly that they complain about their post office all the time (ive dealt with purolator, they suck),
You are literally the only person I've met who ever states this.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 08-17-2018 at 09:01 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Theme By : Companyturk