Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 10-05-2017, 05:46 AM   #241
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Some somewhat good news: Congress passed a law criminalizing abortion after 20 weeks (that's 5 months pregnant) in the US.
As far as I'm aware, it hasn't passed Senate yet and would likely require 60 votes to pass without being held up forever (thank your hilarious "we play by the letter of the law, not the intent" philosophy in your Congress once again. Abusing filibuster rules is an amazingly bad problem). I have to imagine it'll be difficult to pass.

Interestingly, as far as I'm aware, most cases are decided in the first trimester (91% IIRC) with only ~0.50% passing the 20+ week mark with a majority not being taken outside of lifesaving measures. A 20 week mark doesn't look like it's a huge factor.

(Stats are from the hospital reporting in Canada although it's been a while since I read the reports so the numbers may be off by a percent here or there)

In other words, it seems like it's a nice gesture if you're more on the pro life side of things, but it seems like next to nothing will change outside of a few edge cases. It's certainly why the vote and its result didn't garner much attention. I would imagine a move to 12 weeks would garner lots of attention and probably create a furious debate akin to those which sealed the fate of the ACA repeals.

One thing that really burns me on it is some of the hypocritical nature of the voters. Some prominent supporters of the bill, such as Tim Murphy, have been found to be privately urging their mistresses and wives to get abortions privately while publicly opposing any form of abortion. (Edit - Incidentally, I just read that Murphy will not seek re-election after this term. Sounds like he wasn't going to win after this information became public)

Another major concern for me is that the idea is based on flawed science. The best science to date pins the current point at which a fetus feels pain to 23-30 weeks and most studies are leaning on the 29-30 week mark as the average (with no contradictory studies in the last 12 years to indicate that this number is wrong). 20 seems a bit aggressive if we assume the "feels pain" argument is the primary reason.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hopes Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 10-05-2017 at 05:55 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #242
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

SNL roasts Weinstein and Cheetolini.

Akari is love; Akari is life.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:47 AM   #243
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

You rich ungrateful NFL players, salute the flag for the country who pays you guys millions of dollars to PLAY a game to support your lifestyles. This has dragged on long enough, you made your point, now show some damn respect ya hippies.

Regarding the abortion issue: A separate life would be defined as a "zygote" having its own DNA, so by definition, if you went to get an abortion after 1 month, I would classify it as "murder". Forget how you may view it, that's what it is. By definition, so is capital punishment and more people seem to be ok with that. I do believe it needs to be defined as such what it is, they can then debate if its ethical or not. Here's a simple solution, to quote Vice President Cheney: "Go F*ck yourself." creates a lot less babies that way. contraceptives have been around a long long time, research how to use em.

Last edited by Thane of Cawdor; 10-18-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #244
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
salute the flag for the country who pays you guys millions of dollars to PLAY a game to support your lifestyles.
Or don't IMO. If it's a huge deal to the team's management, the team can always bench the players who refuse to stand. It's within their 1st Amendment Rights to do so and there's nothing preventing team coaches/GMs from benching them.

Quote:
This has dragged on long enough, you made your point, now show some damn respect ya hippies.
The continuation is like the difference between filing a letter of complaint and endlessly bombarding someone with letters. One gets the point across that you're upset. The other indicates you're upset and will continue to let them know until something happens.

Quote:
Regarding the abortion issue: A separate life would be defined as a "zygote" having its own DNA,
Honestly have no clue why you're putting zygote in quotes.

Quote:
so by definition, if you went to get an abortion after 1 month, I would classify it as "murder".
While the union of an egg/sperm cell is, by definition, a zygote and I can understand if someone would define any form of abortion as they see any level as illegal (while I may not agree with them), specifying 1 month is absolutely arbitrary.

Why the hell does 1 month mean anything? There's basically no reason for it other than a token effort to claim that you believe abortions should exist. The timeline to finding out that you're pregnant and receiving abortion treatment is too limited to likely occur in 4 weeks.

The typical length of time (based on other's experiences) to find out you're pregnant is 5-6 weeks (1-2 weeks after missing a period). Limiting to 4 weeks of pregnancy basically means by the time you know, you're likely already too late to receive an abortion by your legal definition.

Quote:
I do believe it needs to be defined as such what it is, they can then debate if its ethical or not.
From a more definition based point of view, you'd have to change the legal code. Legally, rights are only fully given to human beings in the USA, which are defined as individuals with clear signs of survival (beating heart, voluntary muscle contractions, breathing).

Incidentally, you actually can't change the definition of a human being either, so you'd have to make the legal change to what types of abortions can be performed. And that would likely become a cat and mouse game much like piracy or would require lots of legal work in order to even become remotely viable in court.

Quote:
contraceptives have been around a long long time, research how to use em.
Contraceptives are also not 100% effective, regardless of how you use them.

What's your answer to someone who happened to someone who found out after the typical 5-6 weeks and was using contraceptives? Sorry, you're out of luck?

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hopes Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #245
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

From Suburban Guerrilla:

Pooty-Poot thinks us mean librul Amurkanz aren't showing enough respect to Dear Leader Cheeto Face.

Putin Tells U. S. to Stop Making Fun of Trump

"LEEEEEEAVE DOOOONNNNY ALOOOOOOONE!"

Wassamatta, Pooty? Your investment going sour on you?

Package for Mr. Putin:
Spoiler: show

Akari is love; Akari is life.

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 10-20-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM   #246
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

KC can you translate what you said for me? I'm guessing your making an insult but I didn't get it.