Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 10-27-2018, 01:32 AM   #431
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

I don't know if this is "Current News" or "Politics".

I opted for politics because the incident seems politically motivated.

Today, 56 year old Cesar Altieri Sayoc Jr was taken into custody and charged for mailing out bombs (all have so far been intercepted) to multiple individuals. These include:

- Former president Barack Obama
- Former vice-president (Obama administration) Joe Biden
- Former First Lady and presidential nominee Hillary Clinton
- Philanthropist and frequent Democrat donor for the George Soros
- Former Attorney General (Obama administration) Eric Holder
- Former CIA director (Obama administration) John Brennan (Address was CNN's New York headquarters for...reasons?)
- Actor and outspoken Trump critic Robert De Niro
- Former Director of National Intelligence (Obama administration) James Clapper
- Democrat Senators Cory Booker and Kamala Harris
- Congresswoman Maxine Waters

The return address that was listed on them was Democrat Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

If it isn't clear from the list above, the individuals have primarily been targeted as being key figures in the Democrat party or have deep ties to the party.

Here are two pictures of Sayoc's van that was seized at the same time as Sayoc was taken into custody:

- https://imgur.com/a/xCwRvD2
- https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqceOn-XgAAxP90.jpg

The arrest came after DNA evidence was found on the bombs (matching Sayoc's, taken after previous convictions) and Sayoc's actions caught on camera match the timing. Sayoc's online posting (Twitter in particular, in which he went by Cesar Altieri) match this tone as well ( https://web.archive.org/web/20181026...m/hardrock2016 ). Archive link was used as it has since been suspended.

---

If the actions are down to be actually based on the intent of sowing chaos or changing the political climate, then this qualifies as domestic terrorism. Plain and simple. And if so, he deserves his name in the same level of conversation as Ted Kaczynski.

I'm glad nobody was harmed in these incidents.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 AM   #432
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

I'd go with current events as potential terrorism, attempted murder and all that. It can't be called political yet as its speculation. Most of the mass killings (school and more) were done by people who happen to be liberal but I wouldn't tie it unless it was the dude who shot at the republicans playing baseball who said it was political. maybe he just hates those people. and given the figures of politics...sort of surprised Pelosi wasn't on the list, ya know?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:49 AM   #433
kirant

Ooh boy. The word filter will have fun with me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I'd go with current events as potential terrorism, attempted murder and all that. It can't be called political yet as its speculation.
We seem to agree here. That's why I used the term "if" to condition my statements about terrorism. It could be a guy who just happens to hate a bunch of people because they're on TV all the time and wanted to see them die for no political purpose.

Quote:
Most of the mass killings (school and more) were done by people who happen to be liberal but I wouldn't tie it unless it was the dude who shot at the republicans playing baseball who said it was political.
I wouldn't agree that "most" mass killings are done by "liberal" individuals.

I would defer to databases of activities. Such as those created by the ADL (Link: https://www.adl.org/heat-map?s=eyJpZ...IwMDIsMjAxOF19 ) and the GTD (https://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search...px?country=217 ). This would allow us to database all of those with a motive behind them.

If we filter actions to those which cause multiple fatalities or injuries, we get these groups (in descending order of frequency over the last couple years):

1) White extremists (movements people typically tie to traditional "right wing" politics...though officially not tied to the parties themselves)

2) Religious, Islam (a movement tied to no political wing of "left" or "right" but instead to an extreme branch of the religion)

3) "Unknown" (site claims no identity could be found)

4) Anti-white extremism (in the same way that white extremism isn't a political movement but people associate with a "wing", this is often seen as "left wing" extremism)

5) Anti-government (most appear to be violent Constitutionalists, which would traditionally place closer to Tea Party in values)

To that end, most appear to not specifically be directed at politicians. In fact, the last three who have been injured due to conflicts are:

- Rand Paul (in a fight with his neighbour)

- Steve Scalise (baseball game, shot by an anti-Republican extremist)

- Gabrielle Giffords (shot by an individual who leaned heavily to the Tea Party).

...Then you have to go back to 1973.

Quote:
maybe he just hates those people. and given the figures of politics...sort of surprised Pelosi wasn't on the list, ya know?
To be fair, Pelosi is also getting pushed into irrelevancy. Her status as a prominent Democrat is being usurped as the Democrat party appears to be branding itself around the younger Democrats now (Harris and Booker are two names which seem to be gauging whether a 2020 Presidential run is possible, given how they always appear in "campaign mode").

It somewhat surprises me is that Saunders is off that list. Though that could be because he officially sits as an Independent and has been very dissenting to the old Democrat line.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #434
kirant

So, as most in the USA probably know, the Midterm Elections in the USA occurred tonight.

The short version of it is: almost everything as expected. Democrats take House and Republicans retain Senate. It was basically by the book.

Long version is that the election had very few surprises. The House has experienced a (as of right now) 30-35 Democrat swing and the Senate looks poised to gain 1-2 Republican Senators. None of this is a shock as the Democrats have had an 8-10% lead on the Republicans in national polling and the Democrats really couldn't pick up a seat in the Senate (all of them they could gain are in Republican strongholds, like Texas).

The bigger surprises loses were (in order of increasing surprise):

- Democrat Senator Joe Donnelly (Indiana). This one was predicted by fivethirtyeight to have a 70% chance of Donnelly winning.
- Republican Congressman Daniel Donovan (New York 11th) (projected 79.7%)
- Republican Congressman Steve Russel (Oklahoma 5th) (93.4%)

Other notable elections:

- Kim Davis, a Kentucky county clerk best known for refusing to issue same-sex wedding licenses, was defeated.
- Not official yet, but Joe Cunningham (Democrat, South Carolina 1st) appears to be defeating Republican Katie Arrington (Projected 91.4% chance Arrington would win).

---

So, what does this mean?

Well, in the House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House (and 3rd in Presidential Succession) will almost inevitably be a Democrat. The House will need to select a new Speaker. While Nancy Pelosi is the likely name to come out, there is also resistance from many Democrats, who want new blood as Speaker.

It also means that Trump will need to negotiate with Democrats if he wants any legislation passed. This is a situation which helps nobody as I doubt either party will be willing to give an inch, the same way Republicans mostly stonewalled Obama for 6 years.

Finally, it means multiple committees in the House will be considerably less Trump friendly. Committees will likely put pressure to subpoena information from Trump. There are already rumblings that they will be seeking tax return information.

In the Senate...not much. The margins of error may loosen, allowing some of the more moderate Republicans to vote like a Democrat to hold their seats. Until further data is gathered, it may be difficult to tell if the results will keep the 2020 Senate in Republican majority.

Last edited by kirant; 11-07-2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Removed Woodall. Results appear to have been reported wrong initially.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #435
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

you forgot the part where we have 2 more years of the democrats shouting "impeach trump" and "russia probe". that or 6 more years of it.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #436
kirant

Quote:
you forgot the part where we have 2 more years of the democrats shouting "impeach trump" and "russia probe". that or 6 more years of it.
Impeachment is silly at this point. At least, as silly as it was for the Republicans to Impeach Clinton. There isn't a friendly Senate for the notion unless it is shown Trump has done something hilariously villainous...which is entirely possible. But unless that's the case, all it'd do is have Trump impeached, then the Senate votes to do nothing.

As for the Special Counsel Investigation, I'm sure it'll happen. Similar stuff happened with Nixon, where a Democrat House of Representatives made damning evidence public and made his actions much more apparent in the public eye. I would imagine a now Democrat controlled Judiciary Committee will do the same.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #437
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Um, we impeached Clinton for lying to the country about having an affair with an intern. Trump is 'said' to be impeached by basically not being liked and thus called 'unfit' which will be called basically mentally incapacitated, which could, by the right gauge, said about anyone.

who knows. I mean Obama did very similar spying like Nixon, I think the difference is that with this generation, people accept the government spying on shit, no one cares.

On the more frustrating side, Karen Handel won for a district in Georgia. You don't need to know where, but this was the chick who ran against Ossoff and spent MORE than the presidential election...courtesy of some money from Pelosi. This was not for a country, but for a small county area. Well she won this time with almost 200k votes...winning by a victory of 57 votes. meaning they will yet again have a national eye on her and the woman she won against. probably a recount, maybe a revote. but as her last election took national history based on "ooh, screw Trump. I can't get him out but I can sure as crap get people to vote against THIS republican." so i forsee this happening again, as the woman Handel defeated this time (McBath) was also given support from Pelosi.

Blah blah blah, yeah more impeachment crap for the next 2 (probably 6) years.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #438
kirant

Quote:
Um, we impeached Clinton for lying to the country about having an affair with an intern. Trump is 'said' to be impeached by basically not being liked and thus called 'unfit' which will be called basically mentally incapacitated, which could, by the right gauge, said about anyone.
My case was that removal from office was never going to happen. Unlike Nixon (who pissed off both parties at that point), there was never close to 67 votes to find him guilty. Not even all Republicans agreed.

It was a big show with the result being a bunch of wasted time. The same would occur if the House of Representatives decided to, at this moment, take Trump to impeachment.

Quote:
I mean Obama did very similar spying like Nixon, I think the difference is that with this generation, people accept the government spying on shit, no one cares.
There is no public record of Obama trying to implant recording devices and spy on Republicans (the same way Nixon did to Democrats at Watergate).

Either way, it's fair to point out that Nixon was going to be found guilty and removed from office for the following covering up his crimes/obstruction of justice and not the spying itself.

Quote:
On the more frustrating side, Karen Handel won for a district in Georgia.
Karen Handel (R) lost to Lucy McBath (D) (50.5% McBath to 49.5% Handel). It was a 3000 vote lead and probably outside the range of an automatic recount. Almost certainly outside the margin of counting mistake.

Last edited by kirant; 11-07-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:56 AM   #439
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-35...puter-hologram

call this politics if you want, i would. That's Miku right there.

Konata, have at it :)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #440
kirant

Quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-35...puter-hologram

call this politics if you want, i would. That's Miku right there.

Konata, have at it :)
I mean...a man "married" a video game character on a portable console about a decade ago ( https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...5BJ1XX20091220 ). Marrying a hologram version isn't out of the question after that.

It's too bad these marriage proceedings have zero legal standing. I wanted to see how the first virtual divorce would go.