Lucky Star Shrine Forums
 
Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #421
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Kavanaugh got appointed, its all over, yippie.
An expected result, let's be fair. This was expected to be a slam dunk and it's more surprising than anything else that things got so hairy that there was reason to suggest he wouldn't get in.

Though I'd hesitate to say "it's all over". Justice John Roberts (one of the most conservative voices on the USA's Supreme Court) has forwarded the complaints against Kavanaugh to the 10th circuit court.

That is, they are still investigating the claims against Kavanaugh. (Sample link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#2c3eca801877 )

Why this matters: The FBI has publicly stated that their investigation was limited (despite assurances by Trump that they were not). As such, we know next to nothing still.

I suspect that if it is found that he lied and lied badly about anything, he would be impeached and removed by Congress (and before one asks, yes impeachment can occur to any appointed member of office in the same process that would occur for a President). This is because, in the words of the Judge recommending this move, "the exceptional circumstance [...] may weaken public confidence in the process".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
But I heard another judge may be retiring. So for the liberals who can't keep their mouths shut, you got a round 2 coming up in the future. takin all bets now!
I don't know of any Judge expected to retire. However, by age, Ruth Bader Ginsberg is old as dirt (85 years old) and it's very possible (~19%) that she passes away in the next two years.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #422
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
First off, you need to research more, and secondly, um, where do you get 19 percent?? That's...like a wierd guess. Like you know something I don't. You're not planning something, are you?

And of course the FBI investigation was a joke, it was Trump's way of like waving it off. Remember that this was not an actual trial cause the woman has no proof, it was all just a political play, no more. The politicians don't give a crap about him or her, its the dems vs the republicans again, it was finger pointing, this should have never been a story, someone waited 36 years whos actually a doctor, a psychologist who is paranoid and just now bitches about how she's afraid. If she's telling the truth, its her fault for waiting this long. And if the dude was 17 and pressed up on some girl both drunk at a party, given how things were back then, ground him for a week and let him be judge and be done with it. I for one was suspicious of that woman, and given the super weak story and lack of evidence...im glad he got in and I hope it puts an end to this witchhunt without proof crap once and for all. Its pushin the pendulum too far as it always is. Just stop interrupting my TV shows with 'breaking news' of bullshit that can wait. Nothing that can't wait till the 5 o clock news, or till the next 2 years of trump with more "blah blah russia, hillary's emails, probe this, this guy looked at me its sexual assult, impeach this, kneel for the anthem", leave it for the boring news I don't watch. Now look I'm irritated, this is why watching the news is physially bad for your health.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #423
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
First off, you need to research more,
Funny. Because of the two posts, only one references and defers to outside sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
and secondly, um, where do you get 19 percent?? That's...like a wierd guess. Like you know something I don't. You're not planning something, are you?
I realize I didn't explain how I got to that. It's basically just actuarial data of the USA. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

For a woman of 85 years old, the death probability in the next year is ~10%. For a woman 86 years old, it is ~11%.

Probability of surviving to 87 is very simple:

- Probability of making it to 86 multiplied by the probability by making it to 87.

(1-.985) * (1-.109) = .803, meaning .197 is the probability of death.

Therefore, about 19%. I realize the above rounds to 20%, but mental math isn't a strong suit of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
And of course the FBI investigation was a joke, it was Trump's way of like waving it off.
Which is clearly something Justice Roberts has a problem with and has accepted the recommendation to have it investigated further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
The politicians don't give a crap about him or her, its the dems vs the republicans again, it was finger pointing,
No disagreement in this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
this should have never been a story, someone waited 36 years whos actually a doctor, a psychologist who is paranoid and just now bitches about how she's afraid. If she's telling the truth, its her fault for waiting this long.
But I do disagree here.

The accusations are serious and the claim is internally consistent (unlike that by Swetnick, which were found to be inconsistent when she was interviewed for on national TV). An investigation is to determine whether or not evidence leans one way or the other.

I would not classify the behaviour as paranoid. Given how much of a mess it was for both Ford and Kavanaugh (recall one had to move out of their house and the other needed US marshals posted around it), both had good reason to fear this attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
And if the dude was 17 and pressed up on some girl both drunk at a party, given how things were back then, ground him for a week and let him be judge and be done with it.
Again, let me know if your attitude is the same if you had a daughter go through this. If you had a child of yours in this type of situation (and only escaping because her assailants were THAT drunk), would you be fine hearing they got off with a slap on the wrist?

The biggest reason this doesn't fly though is the question of credibility. It's important to realize that the credibility of the Supreme Court is in question if Kavanaugh willingly lied under oath about his actions. Honestly, had he said "I have patches in my memory due to my drinking, so it could be true", I don't think people would be as hard on him.

For some, like me, another issue is that (now) Justice Kavanaugh comes off as partisan. The Supreme Court needs to be apolitical. When your first opening remarks state "This is a conspiracy on behalf of the Clintons", you do not present yourself as a credible source of interpreting information.

Key point here, so I'll bold it: Don't agree with me? Ask a former Supreme Court Justice. A life long Republican.

Ask John Paul Stevens. He literally states that Kavanaugh's hearings makes him think that Kavanaugh is unfit for the Court he served for 35 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/u...kavanaugh.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
im glad he got in and I hope it puts an end to this witchhunt without proof crap once and for all.
Again, investigation isn't over and its rationale was accepted by the Supreme Court to continue further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Just stop interrupting my TV shows with 'breaking news' of bullshit that can wait.
Yup. CNN sucks for its 24 hour cycle of "BREAKING NEWS - CAT CATCHES RAT" and other fluff.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #424
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!
 
Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
 
Location : The Arkanshire
O CANADA! ^_^

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/healt...ana/index.html

Spoiler: show


The new Canadian national anthem?


EDIT: Parody poster (at least I think it's a parody). Big picture is big.
Spoiler: show
__________________

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 10-18-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #425
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
Freakin druggies

and yes if i had a daughter who was pressed up on and didn't tell anyone for over 3 decades id say that was your fault for not telling anyone.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #426
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Freakin druggies
I mean, this time it was following science. An excellent quote I heard today was "it's not crack but it's not water". In essence, this isn't exactly a high risk chemical you're dealing with.

There has been no proven harmful effects for those using it after the age of 25. You could easily argue alcohol and nicotine are a stronger negative influences. The only strong reason you can use to really argue keeping a ban on it would be "because we've always done it that way".

It is a revenue generation machine for the government. You tax it similar to alcohol and you're looking at a nice cash cow to clean up deficits.

Not to mention you are making the courts more efficient by not having to deal with small criminal charges (the Canadian government has explicitly stated they would pardon small pot possession charges).

And, heck, the USA even got in on the "soft on marijuana" stance. In the last week, they went from "Canadians who work in or invest in the industry will not be allowed into USA" to "we'll let Canadians in, unless they are here explicitly for marijuana related work".

The fact that States as deeply conservative as Alaska have begun legalization should tell you that there is a slow push away from the old beliefs given the piles of science contradicting policy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
and yes if i had a daughter who was pressed up on and didn't tell anyone for over 3 decades id say that was your fault for not telling anyone.
Ah, yes. Do nothing because you're part of the overwhelming majority. Got it.

Spoiler: show


I'd also ask if your sentiments also apply to the actresses who spoke out about the abuses by movie producer and Harvey Weinstein?

How about those who spoke out about Bill Cosby (a saga which ended with him in jail)?

That is, did Cosby and Weinstein, for all their horrible actions, deserve to be "let go" because nobody spoke up against them until long after?
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #427
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
The dude wasnt accused of rape, he was accused of at best tryin to cop a feel, holy crap. I didnt say do nothing, but you've got to stop blaming everyone else all the time. No one is perfect, that doesn't mean give up completely.

and you damn potheads and your excuses, youre doing the same thing you accuse me up. "well pot isnt as bad as crack". thats the same crap as saying "rape isnt as bad as disembowelment or horse-quartering." just another excuse cause they wanna smoke pot. And yeah I'm sick as crap of these states overiding the federal government and going slack on drugs, I hope Trump get's serious and tells states like Colorado NO, you potheads go find SOME hobby rather than getting high all day. I am sick of these excuses, first and foremost of potheads who lead with "but alcohol is more bad." thats like politicians who lead with the debate "this coming from the guy who dot dot dot." by attacking the person's character calling them imperfect as we all are, thats by whining debaters who suck at defending their point and go right for the "well since you arent perfect either lets all give up." If potheads REALLY thought it was a smart idea they'd try to start off with why pot ISNT so bad...and its drugs, don't run off your statistics of how other shit is worse, you're still a pothead and they're only wanting cannibus oil legal for one step closer to smokin pot. Go get a job, get a hobby, shut up you whining druggies or get out of my country. If canada wants to take all the potheads, go ahead, make sure the fan's are pointing towards you, I don't wanna smell your pot smoke.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #428
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
The dude wasnt accused of rape, he was accused of at best tryin to cop a feel, holy crap.
Kavanaugh was accused of:

- Sexual assault
- Attempting (and failing at) rape

You continually fail to understand that attempted rape, while not rape in and of itself, is still a serious offence.

If you still can't figure out those distinctions, think about it this way:

- Tim punches Bob
- Tim then takes out knife and tries to murder Bob
- Bob escapes

Tim is guilty of attempted murder, if all the above is actually true. Your argument is along the lines of "Christ, man, you keep talking about Tim like he's a murderer".

I mean, Tim here is not a murderer. But he certainly attempted it (if all the statements are true).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
No one is perfect, that doesn't mean give up completely.
No, but my argument is that we should determine the truth of the situation to the best of our ability first. Which means an FBI investigation longer than the time it take to get a package delivered across the country.

The only reason to speed up a confirmation hearing is because you fear that November brings in a change in governing Senate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
"well pot isnt as bad as crack". thats the same crap as saying "rape isnt as bad as disembowelment or horse-quartering."
Marijuana has near non-existent side effects if you are over 25.

The descriptor was used as it does come with the note that those below 25 should be made aware of the risks it poses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
And yeah I'm sick as crap of these states overiding the federal government and going slack on drugs,
I find this statement hilarious because it suggests one wants to trample over state rights, in contrast with the standard Republican line of letting states decide things for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
"but alcohol is more bad." thats like politicians who lead with the debate "this coming from the guy who dot dot dot."
The question is about "why do you ban [x]?"

Let me ask: why do you want marijuana banned? Is it a personal vendetta? Is it because it's dangerous?

Because if your reasoning is "because it's too dangerous", then "we should ban alcohol" should also be a stance you hold because alcohol has demonstrably more severe side effects on society. If it isn't, then there is an inconsistency in the stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
If potheads REALLY thought it was a smart idea they'd try to start off with why pot ISNT so bad...
...Well, I'm not a "pothead" (never smoked marijuana, no intention to smoke it), but (and bolded for emphasis because I think you'll probably skip it otherwise) that's literally what they're saying in Canada. The majority of the interviews in Canada are about the scientific merits and how there is no statistically danger once you have a fully matured brain and use it moderately (again, comparable to how we view alcohol: moderate use in a fully developed body is considered acceptable despite the fact that alcohol consumption actually can have a negative impact on the body).

So, congrats I guess. The "potheads" are utilizing what you think is a "smart idea".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Go get a job,
Funny. It's like telling a smoker or drinker "get a job". Well, more a drinker...but still...
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 10-18-2018 at 08:44 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #429
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
In my mind I can imagine killing someone with a knife, I've done it in a video game. But I didn't do it in real life. Ya know why? Cause in your mind no one actually dies. There's a difference between attempting and executing something, that's why there's different jailtimes for murder and attempted murder. You are aware of the difference aren't you? One has a dead person, one doesn't? You seeing that imaginary and reality are two different words?

wanna know why pot should be illegalized, watch a few episodes of cops. maybe you'll understand why its called dope. Nevermind, there's no convincing you.

On a side note. It crossed my mind that I'm one of the few (if only active) members who is conservative and everyone else (at least the loud ones) are liberal. I recently learned that in the wonderful world of anime, most people are liberal. I don't know why that is. Got a theory on that?
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #430
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
In my mind I can imagine killing someone with a knife, I've done it in a video game. But I didn't do it in real life. Ya know why? Cause in your mind no one actually dies.
This segment is a complete non-sequitur. Just pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
There's a difference between attempting and executing something, that's why there's different jailtimes for murder and attempted murder. You are aware of the difference aren't you? One has a dead person, one doesn't? You seeing that imaginary and reality are two different words?
That wasn't the point I am making and I even identify that "attempted rape" and "rape" are different.

My case is that both are gravely serious crimes. That is, the action of attempted rape is serious enough to be considered worth investigating.

Remember, Weinstein was primarily accused of something less (primarily of the "sexual abuse" category). In fact, he has still categorically denied any accusation of rape (seemingly admitting the sexual abuse by omission).

As another reference point: the accusations against Kavanaugh are similar to those by Anthony Rapp made against Kevin Spacey (that is, an attempted sexual encounter by an extremely drunk individual with an unwilling party). And keep in mind, Spacey's career got torpedoed by the allegations.

Your posting so far does not acknowledge that attempted rape is itself serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
wanna know why pot should be illegalized, watch a few episodes of cops.
Watch highly stylized, highly edited footage of reality TV? I'll pass as reality TV is known for editing context and having a camera shoved in your face radically alters how people react.

Side note: The producer of Cops has even admitted to modifying stories to enforce a three act structure ("action", "emotion", and "thought").

I think the better answer is to ask real cops what their issue is in an open setting. The consensus for Canadian police has been that, aside from the lack of strongly reliable measurement techniques for niche situations (eg - military), there aren't many.

(Background for that "techniques" point - due to limitations in techniques, a 28 day ban is required before use of "precision equipment" in the military as no reliable testing can ensure that every single chemical is gone before that point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I recently learned that in the wonderful world of anime, most people are liberal.
Anime has a weird demographic range.

A simple study suggested a tie to "right wing" views and "moe otaku" who post online (that is, those who enjoy moe anime): http://neojaponisme.com/2012/05/30/a...ku-right-wing/

There are also massive suggestions online about many in the "alt right" community (which, if you go by outside views, is common looked at as "right wing plus white supremacists") and "weaboo" status. In fact, this topic gained a bit of traction not too long ago as there was a trend of people slapping MAGA hats on anime characters ( https://www.otakujournalist.com/who-...the-alt-right/ ) as the "alt right" were almost universally associated with Trump support.

That said, the online community tends to be much more balanced than that. In fact, I would argue that the anime community is pretty much politically representative of any big population.

That is, "anime fans" have similar political alignment as "any random group of people". Except there's a group which loves to meme hard and they also happen to be gaining attention due to the memes being "alt right".
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 10-21-2018 at 06:53 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Theme By : Companyturk