Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 11-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #251
veehive
Oldest Member of LSSF

(I have to be more careful when I read this thread: my upstairs-neighbor's 2-year-old's bedroom is right above me, it's almost 1am & she's asleep ... I LOL'd pretty loudly at that.)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #252
kirant
Just another Friday night

I'm bored. Let's do another one of these aggregations.

World v USA - Paris edition
Spoiler: show
So...Syria jumped onto the Paris agreement (a very soft agreement to cut CO2 emissions by 2020 to keep the projected "man made" temperature change to below a given change in temperature).

That, combined with smaller countries like Switzerland joining on, leaves the USA as the sole major nation planning to be out of the deal (as there is a 3 year gap after signing before legal withdrawal).

I mean, this includes virtually every nation in the world. I mean, look at this map. The only nations which aren't signed on are in grey, prior to USA withdrawal ( https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eement.svg.png ).

And before you ask, it's a political issue. Here's a map of the states asking for withdrawal. Darker red represents two Senators requesting Trump to withdraw, the lighter red representing one Senator of two (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ignatories.svg ). The pattern of the states asking out is unmistakable. The map with States agreeing to participate in the agreement regardless is also unmistakable ( https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e-alliance.svg ).

Backing out of the Paris agreement (again, a toothless agreement which had no way to force people to act), should it happen in 2020, is already seen as a fairly gutless move and adds to the isolation of the USA.

I mean this in a completely different way than the USA and UK did throughout the early 1900s. That was political isolation. The actions here are starting to translate to economic isolation. Companies don't want to deal with a single nation anymore but deal with large groups of them in free trade agreements.

Given the "extreme" models we've seen of that historically (China, Japan until the Box Revolution and Meiji Reformation)...it doesn't end well.

USA internally
There is an announced plan to remove Net Neutrality in the USA.

Net Neutrality, if you're not aware (and can't see the video I've put below, is the circumstance that an internet provider cannot preferentially affect how you receive data. Whether it be this website or myanimelist, they can't decide "well, let's make it easier to go to MAL as oppose to luckystarshrine". This is very similar in concept to water or electricity: it doesn't matter what you use your electricity for...power companies can't tell you that they'll restrict your access if you use incandescent light bulbs, for sake of argument.

Things get concerning when it is suggested they can stagnate or even hinder access to things they may not like. Such as their business opponents. Going by the above example, the owner of MAL happens to operate a successful ISP. They can then start slowing access to L*SS down while keeping access to MAL the exact same...then ask for more for a "Net Neutral" package where they don't slow your download rates when accessing L*SS.

That's a bit of a blunt example, but I think you get the idea.

For comparison, Net Neutrality, last time it was check in Canada was upheld but allowed companies to artificially restrict all flow based on package (that is, they may lay in groundwork for a high speed internet, but can restrict to a slower speed unless a higher speed package was purchased). It couldn't change speed based on content.

---

The USA had two state elections (Governor) - New Jersey and Virginia. Given the overall unpopularity of Chris Christy (Republican), a Democrat sweep was expected and delivered.

The Virginia side is where things got interesting. The Democrats' Governor won against an opponent running on heavily Trump based points (keeping up statues of Civil War individuals, removal of "sanctuary" cities, and race baiting arguments against crimes). Many saw it as a referendum on how they felt about Trump and the answer seemed to be "...Yeah. We don't like the arguments" in Virginia.

Also defeated was the self proclaimed 'chief homophobe' of Virginia. He was defeated by his transgendered opponent.

--

The USA has just had a second court rebuke Trump's attempt on a transgender military ban.

USA externally (and that case of PLEASE STOP MAKING THE NEWS SO OFTEN USA kthxbai)
Trump recently wanted to lift a ban on elephant hunting trophies from Zimbabwe. Honestly, that's way too many conditionals in that sentence. The ban was introduced by Obama due to insufficient poaching protection and seemingly had no reason for reversal other than "I dislike Obama".

So people got mad a Trump for this. And he instantly flopped on the issue, putting it aside. I assume until he can figure out what the hell is going on.

---

Oh, and the USA is planning to designate North Korea a terrorist funding state. From what I can tell, this means little.

Australia
Australia's general populace voted in favour of recognize same sex marriage (62% in favour). Legislation is currently before their Senate to approve it, but it appears that it's likely a done deal at this point.

Zimbabwe
What a...fun week it's been for the nation. After what was a very blatant power grab by their leader, Robert Mugabe, by planning to pass power of the country to his wife, the military decided to revolt. Mugabe was put under house arrest.

Mugabe was a revolutionary who brought Zimbabwe out of British rule. He mostly became ruler for life with increasingly anti-democratic means. In many ways, for those of you from the USA, imagine if Washington decided to keep running as President instead of his self-imposed 2 term limit. And if he was horrible at running the USA (Zimbabwe has had to remove their own currency multiple times due to hyperinflation and has an unemployment rate of 80%).

He was brought by the military to resign once on television (to which he refused to do anything but speak about revolting). The party moved to impeach him and he subsequently resigned.

(As an aside, while the Zimbabwe government does technically limit Presidents to 2 terms of 5 years apiece, this was only added in 2013 and exempts anybody who was serving in politics previously)

The Vice President of Zimbabwe is taking over (likely). But that likely just means dictator out, new dictator in.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hopeís Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #253
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Ok kirant. Heres my opinion. Total internet anarchy. If you let this happen, the hackers are going to strike 10 times harder. When the government tookdown megaupload, I knew people who funded hacking sites on the grounds that it was unconstitutional, and I believe it is. you cannot blame a marketplace on that behalf. its like saying that someone was killed in texas, so lets shutdown texas cause its a cesspool. you cannot blame land because a crime commited there. if this crap continues however you will have a monopoly. currently you are allowed to have your own address if you pay for it, like owning land. restricting access to content via speed and the like is akin to disrupting interstate commerce which is illegal in america. i see it as similar.

net freedom, global anarchy, free states, global marketplace. capitalism - the best compromise for human behavior, people will always be stupid so account for it.

I got one for ya Kirant. A woman flipped off trump's limo and got fired, go.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #254
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
If you let this happen, the hackers are going to strike 10 times harder.
While I agree that a united internet is a very angry beast indeed, a united internet is also very short lived. And that should worry anybody who's in favour of net neutrality (myself included).

You can tell the online community is already bored of it. I've stated before that a prolonged protest is much more effective than a short one and there are many signs of people just kind of...moving on with their lives.

If only people cared as much about this as they seemed to about Battlefront II.

Quote:
I got one for ya Kirant. A woman flipped off trump's limo and got fired, go.
Sure. If her company feels she isn't able to effectively represent the company after such a move, that's their call. It sounds like the company has a social media policy so they used it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: freedom of action/speech doesn't mean you're free from the consequences of your action/speech.

It's a fairly typical story: people get punished for taking actions that they're restricted of in their contract. It was her call to flip off the limo, it was her call to alert her company when the story became popular, it was their call to enforce their contract. The only special part is that the limo happened to have the current President of the USA inside it.

If any part of that is incorrect, the courts can decide. But it sounds like everybody agrees to the sequence of events.

Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hopeís Peak Academy
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #255
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

From McSweeney's:

HI, ITíS US, ALL THE FOURTEEN-YEAR-OLD GIRLS IN AMERICA, by Jessica M. Goldstein

"A PSA to all grown men on the face of the Earth: We do not want to have sex with you."

Unfortunately, I doubt this @$$hole will listen:

The GOP's new logo:
Old 12-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #256
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

KC that is over the line, even for you. Are you implying that its republicans that are pedos? Liberals don't do that?

Just for that...rant time!

So a guy broke into a mosque, left a piece of bacon, smashed some windows. The guy got FIFTEEN years in prison and 15 years probation. Tell me this ISN'T a showy display to make this dude a poster child. If he killed someone and claimed temporary insanity, barked about 9/11 etc i bet he'd get 15 years. This for property damage is excessive. They call it a "hate crime"

South Park said it best when they said "all crimes are hate crimes." The guy may be a terrible person, full of hate, but this is an excessive punishment. fifteen years in prison over property damage, how bout a month of having muslims as his boss while he works off cleaning and paying for repairs, it'd save everyone money and MIGHT get him to tone down his anger. the prison sentence is gonna make him worse. Aaaand go.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #257
kirant

Quote:
KC that is over the line, even for you. Are you implying that its republicans that are pedos? Liberals don't do that?
The implication appears to be that the Republicans shield them when they're accused. With increasing support for Moore in Alabama, the Republicans seem to be abandoning their claims that they'll send him to ethics investigation and are increasingly backing him. All this while more and more evidence mounts against Moore (with many cases of highly corroborated allegations being made (30+ individuals corroborating the same account accurately) and many cases of Moore being proven to have lied about no knowing the accused).

Basically, after Trump threw his unconditional support behind Moore, Republicans followed suit. Regardless if whether you believe the allegations are right or wrong, they are backing him at this point.

By contrast, Democrat Senator Al Franken was accused of arguably less (sketchy allegations of groping and sexual harassment against adult women) and has taken the step claim moral high ground over party and will resign his seat. If all politicians followed his play, then Trump would resign after a crazy number of allegations made against him.

Then again, when has moral high ground won anybody anything in DC? I'd like to see some class being introduced to politics but you guys just never seen to have it.

Quote:
So a guy broke into a mosque, left a piece of bacon, smashed some windows. The guy got FIFTEEN years in prison and 15 years probation. Tell me this ISN'T a showy display to make this dude a poster child. If he killed someone and claimed temporary insanity, barked about 9/11 etc i bet he'd get 15 years. This for property damage is excessive. They call it a "hate crime"
I think it has more to do this being a non-isolated incident for Michael Wolfe. This is not an isolated crime for him. Multiple accounts of burglary and grand theft, multiple DUIs, and has spend around 3 years in jail already. Obviously the level of punishment has not led him to rethink his opinion of the law so a more severe treatment is in order.

It's clear it was a hate crime (one committed out of hate against a group). He plead no contest to that. This was to avoid having been charged with a much more serious crime (entering with a dangerous weapon - a machete).

"Temporary insanity", if accepted as a defence, would have been classified as medical and would be assigned to treatment.

Quote:
how bout a month of having muslims as his boss while he works off cleaning and paying for repairs
I'd be fine with a "creative" punishment for this. Ohio judge Michael Cicconetti has some of the most interesting aspects to his sentences of first time offenders because of this. He gives the option of a traditional punishment (jail, fines) or offers something that may have the guilty re-think their mindset.

Sometimes he misses the mark (too light an alternative) but his heart is in the right place. Try to get someone charged for the first time to look at their life.

For example, he sentenced an individual who stole from The Salvation Army to spend time homeless. Another who skipped out on cab fare (30 mile trip) was offered the option to walk 30 miles in 48 hours as an alternative. And, my personal favourite, he asked a teenager who deflated school bus tires to throw a picnic for children (the children having lost the chance for an outing because the bus tires were deflated).

---

So I figure the first point here won't be relevant unless you're religious or a political junkie. But the second is pretty important IMO.

Jerusalem...I swear we should let nobody own it.
So, if you're not familiar with how Israel/Palestine works, both were given half of Jerusalem when the world had the idea of making two states out of it. The hope was that the two would play together nicely and share the city as the capital.

One is Jewish, the other is Muslim. It doesn't end well as both claim the city as theirs and theirs alone.

Since then, both sides have been guilty of trying to egg on the other side. Israel had tanks attacking them within hours of becoming a country, Israel has conducted multiple invasions on their neighbours, and multiple cases of "unknown" aggressor. For the past 10-20 years, Israel has been systematically trying to push Palestinians out of Palestinian land. Palestine has responded with rockets and attacks on civilians.

So naturally, it's a powder keg and no sane politician would step into it, right? Most have decided to stay out of the issue and use Tel Aviv as the diplomatic capital of Israel.

Well, ask Trump. In a move no country outside Israel approves of, he announced plans to move the embassy of the USA from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. This basically flags that the USA believes Jerusalem belongs to Israel and Israel alone.

And when I mean no country, I mean none. Nobody has their embassy in Jerusalem. The response is just as unanimous against the USA.

(Incidentally, the video of him announcing this is kind of sad as you can tell his dentures fell out halfway through the speech and he spoke with a slur ('s' becoming 'sh'). At the end, he can't even pronounce "States" properly (going with 'Shtates'))

Now, this is more complex an issue that the above might sound. The USA Congress (in overwhelming majority for both components) voted to move. Each President, from Clinton to Bush to Obama, agreed to waive it and defer for 6 months. Trump is basically just not going to renew it.

Basically, they've managed to create an issue out of nothing.

More relevant stuff - Taxes...wait. Don't go to sleep. This affects you if you live the in USA!
This is more just a "catch up" on all the tax stuff for you guys in the USA.

So, the House in the USA approved a tax bill a few weeks ago. Last Friday, the Senate did the same while the story of Michael Flynn's guilty plea was making the news.

The Senate bill was a very transparent attempt to sneak the passing through while Flynn was the key story because:
- The bill was submitted for review to Senators only a few hours before voting. And was a few hundred pages long.
- Was unsearchable (media wouldn't be able to actually scan for certain terms)
- Was hand written in large segments (see this: https://i.imgur.com/3SKqkiU.jpg . This is what your Senators were voting on)
- The Congressional Budget Office, which typically is given time to review it beforehand, only managed to release their findings while they were debating.
- Hand written edits were being made to the document while they were debating it. Until 2 AM.

There's very good reason why the above was passed while eyes were off. Many of the moves are heavily unpopular and it's more of an omnibill than a budget:
- It touches on abortion (attempts to set implicit precedent for fetal personhood)
- Attempts to gut parts of the ACA
- Most personal tax cuts are expire after 5 years as to satisfy "debt hawks" in Senate.

The bill passed, but it's very clearly an absolute train wreck.
- For this to have passed with the 51 votes that it had, they needed to call it revenue neutral (don't ask. It's too long a story). The Congressional Budget Office estimates about 1.5 trillion debt gain. The defence for it is "well, we don't think so". Yeah. It's neutral the same way Trudeau is calling our budgets will be neutral: by assume stupid numbers for cash in. I should mention that, scaled to the USA, we'd be burning about 250 billion annually...or about twice as much as the CBO estimates this one bill will cause. So look forward to spilling red ink all over if this passes entirely.

- Most depressing of all, there are loopholes in the writing because of fact that the bill was being edited by hand during debate. 1 trillion of the lost revenue above comes from decreased corporate tax. However, poorly defined parts of the bill results in 300 billion of it not coming forward. So only 70% of the voted on tax cuts to companies will come out.
-- Keep in mind, this was only found AFTER it was voted on. Way to go.

Now, the current point is that the House and Senate have very different (link here: http://dailysignal.com/wp-content/up...omparison4.jpg ). The two need to come up with a mutually agreed upon bill and re-vote on it before it's sent to Trump to sign into law (which, if it occurs in 2018, will only start impacting your tax filing in 2019).

So, yeah. Stuff to think about. A bill passed while still in the middle of writing it seems to be fundamentally broken in parts. Go figure.

------

Edit - USA, please get you s*** in order. Your President making up facts with absolutely no regard to reality is just depressing. And now it's spreading over into conversations he's having with other politicians.

tl;dr version:

Quote:
Trump: You guys have a trade surplus
Trudeau: No. You have the trade surplus. Take a look.

Later...

Trump to audience: So I checked. We have a trade deficit with Canada.

US Trade Representative website: USA has a trade surplus (USA giving more services to Canada [25 billion], USA receiving more goods like lumber and oil [13 billion]).
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trump...-him-1.3714283

Last edited by kirant; 12-09-2017 at 10:27 PM.