Lucky Star Shrine Forums
 
Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #441
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
I think its a load of horseshit that people bark SO much about race. A guy at Fedex was called some racial crap, got into a fight and threw a punch that accidently killed a guy. Some morors think that was ok because....well cause it was racial. That's the real reason. If it were something else, I doubt it. Funny. I was taught that words and words and battery and assult are not words. A friend of mine in high school was called some horrible names, he threw a punch, and the cop on duty threw him to the ground, he was suspended. Apparantly in America, words are NO grounds for physically hitting someone. And that's how its alwasy been. But somehow this is justified and I just get this feeling that its cause someone said something "racist". Get it together people, its 2018, quit with the racist card. being somewhat racist is NOT the end of the world, it doesn't merit firing people over a slightly over the line joke, it doesn't merit firing people from multi million dollar TV shows or news anchors on fox, just cause you say something pertaining to race people think its worse than being a killer. Everyone needs to chill the hell out, its only skin color. And if some people hate...be the bigger person. And I mean this to everyone, so to the media, shut up about it, we're tired of hearing 'race race race', this isn't helping everyone get along.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #442
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Side note: Now that virtually all the votes are tabulated, the final result appears to be 53-47 (Well, 53-45 with 2 Independents) Republican advantage in Senate, 238-201 Democrat advantage in House. These results are approximately on line with the projections made heading in. Democrats gained 3-4 extra House Seats compared to the median projection (all of these within deep Republican strongholds) and Republicans 2 extra Senate seats (one surprise, one coin flip). All well within the expected average as a whole though.

Side note part 2: The story based on the numbers is that the Democrats slightly overperformed their expectations. "+2 Senate seats say you're wrong" is a bit simplistic. There were many motivated voters in the election and quite a few races which should have been blowouts were tight. In multiple Senate seats, things were way closer than typical. For example, Cruz was in a tight race with a man who by no means should have challenged him in the slightest https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...than-it-seems/. Was it a blue tsunami (blunami?)? No. But the momentum and initiative seem in the Democrat's favour after that election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I think its a load of horseshit that people bark SO much about race. A guy at Fedex was called some racial crap, got into a fight and threw a punch that accidently killed a guy. Some morors think that was ok because....well cause it was racial. That's the real reason. If it were something else, I doubt it.
That's hilariously oversimplifying it.

Sources:

https://theprovince.com/pmn/news-pmn...0-d7d85300afdd
https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/4...-attacker-dies

The deceased was the first to throw a punch and was the one starting the fight. He was hit once and died. Given his poor health, it sounds like a case of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

I mean, if I'm in such poor health that I can't throw a punch properly, I probably shouldn't be throwing a punch or throwing food at someone healthier than me. (Or throwing punches period)

The judge also stated that race had nothing to do with the ruling (and that, while the deceased might have been alive had he let it go, it's superficial whether the driver exercised poor judgment by stopping).

So, long story short:

- Deceased was racist
- FedEx driver probably could have let it go, but didn't and went to talk to the racist guy
- Deceased was stupid by throwing first punch
- FedEx driver had no way to know that retaliating would result in the other guy's death.

Edit - To be clear, Portland has no "Duty to retreat" laws. The deceased was the verbal aggressor and the physical aggressor according to the memo.

The driver was not required to back off and was in his full right to respond in kind. It just happened to be that the attacker was killed by such limited force as a single punch.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 11-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:16 AM   #443
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor
 
Thane of Cawdor's Avatar
 
I still subscribe to the old adage theres no reason to throw a punch. Just this day in age if you use a liberal crutch its ok. "oh its a woman attacking a man cause he was leering at me" and that crap. I just feel like if it didn't have race involved it wouldn't have made the papers and the driver would be in prison for involuntary manslaughter. Doesn't mean you can't get a small sentence for that. And reason varies, a former roommate of mine drove while high and killed his passenger by a low speed collision and he got 20 years for that.
__________________
Thrice banned
Spoiler: show
Thane of Cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #444
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I still subscribe to the old adage theres no reason to throw a punch.
I agree. And if you're attacked by someone throwing a punch, it's may be time to retaliate.

That is, violence may be the last refuge of the incompetent but if that's the only language they're willing to listen to, then you'll have to return violence with violence. The alternative of being a punching bag doesn't seem palatable, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
I just feel like if it didn't have race involved it wouldn't have made the papers
It shouldn't be. The cause of the two fighting should be irrelevant from a legal perspective.

Of course, media likes to sensationalize and making it about race (either that it's "a violent black man kills someone with his fists" or that "man who was receiving racist comments is now being charged") gets more views than "man accidentally kills someone in self defence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
and the driver would be in prison for involuntary manslaughter.
I don't see how.

To meet involuntary manslaughter, you must demonstrate:

- That your act killed someone
- That you had no intention to kill someone, expressed or implied
- That your actions were criminally irresponsible

The individual meets the first two, but does not meet the third as noted in the ruling. That is, punching someone once who is trying to punch you isn't being criminally irresponsible in Portland.

Had he kept going and just not let up, that would likely have fallen under voluntary manslaughter. Attacking someone who's prone and not a threat shows that you're not looking to exercise the right to defend yourself. And that, instead, you're looking to go on the offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
And reason varies, a former roommate of mine drove while high and killed his passenger by a low speed collision and he got 20 years for that.
And that's because he took the criminally irresponsible act of driving while high. That meets the bill of "criminally irresponsible", even in countries where marijuana is legal.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 11-22-2018 at 07:21 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Theme By : Companyturk