Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #111
Kid Charlemagne
Quick! Fix the 4th Wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
KC where do you find this crazy stuff? and im basing that fact, kkirant, on the fact that ive never met a republican athiest
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Harrumph.

"People are strange, when you're a stranger..."
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #112
kirant
Just another Friday night

I wish we had the like button still because what I'm going to say is basically what's above this post, +1.

You know, in Fire Emblem's older fanbase, there's an interesting expression known as PEMN. It stands for Personal Experience Means Nothing (someone once proposed to change it to more accurate "Personal Experience Never Is Sustainable" for the humorous acronym but alas it never caught on). It basically presents a statistical argument: what you see happening will become statistically null if you take a large enough sample size.

Story here being: interview enough Republicans, you'll find some. Those without a religion represent ~18% of the USA. Assuming a 50/50 split between Republicans and Democrats, that means that about 11% of Republicans do not believe in a specific religion (as well as about 25% of Democrats) assuming no other factors are at play. This of course varies state by state. The Bible belt states, for example, have extremely high rates of religion.

---

In actual "world politics" news, the CRTC announced that companies in Canada cannot charge for unlocking phones; companies often locked phones so that they'd only operate on their network and would charge a fee (40-50 dollars I've seen) to unlock them if you wanted to switch to a different phone service provider. This was a highly unpopular move and was seen as ransom of the phone. The CRTC evidently agreed and the practice must end by 2018.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc...hone-1.4161711

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 06-16-2017 at 01:02 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #113
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

I know that, boy you really need everything in writing don't you?
and I counter your numbers, 95% of the world believes in a higher power.

So if you guys heard, given there is no concrete evidence of Trump himself actually colluding with Russia to tamper with the election, seeing how its about to die out, they finally made it formal. The liberals want to formally charge President Trump with obstruction. So...everyone get your popcorn, we MAY have an impeachment trial after all. Let's watch.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #114
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
I know that, boy you really need everything in writing don't you?
When you only quote is this:
Quote:
and im basing that fact, kkirant, on the fact that ive never met a republican athiest
To defend this:
Quote:
tis mostly true, if you're an athiest, odds are like 90% or more you're a liberal.
My argument is "your personal experience means nothing for statistics". In essence, your claim that the stereotypes are true don't agree with the numbers.

Quote:
and I counter your numbers, 95% of the world believes in a higher power.
Approximately 15% don't believe in a "god" or "gods". You could also argue that should be 20-25% depending on how you classify Buddhism (as you can technically qualify it as a religion with no true deity).

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Quote:
So if you guys heard, given there is no concrete evidence of Trump himself actually colluding with Russia to tamper with the election, seeing how its about to die out, they finally made it formal. The liberals want to formally charge President Trump with obstruction.
Increasing the number of investigations doesn't make you automatically innocent of the first one.

If I'm in town while the police are investigating an assault case against me and they start investigating me for murder of a different person, it doesn't make me innocent on the assault case.

We must wait until the investigation completes to decide whether or not there is evidence to suggest a trial should take place. All that we know right now is that there's two ongoing investigations, one for Russian interference and one for obstruction of justice...and that Trump is under personal investigation in the latter while the FBI has been silent on the former with our last data point being back when Comey was fired (at which point he was not under direct investigation).

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 06-16-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Clarity
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote