Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Konata Fan

Learning Japanese

I've been wondering are there any Japanese learner here in this forum.
If you are learning Japanese or about to learn Japanese,let's share our experience/ask any questions/share your feelings/etc. here!
If you are not interested in the Japanese language,feel free to talk or ask any question you encounter.
Konata Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:15 AM   #2
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

I'm not actively studying at present, but I know a little bit. Really love those moments where I suddenly understand a part of a song I've never looked up the lyrics of before. It's a good feeling when you understand something on your own!

It's also fun knowing just enough in certain circumstances to be able to criticize some fansubs, but at the same time it helps cultivate a deeper understanding of just how hard localization vs translation really is. Need to get myself back on a studying schedule, that's for sure
Old 09-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

I studied a bit of Japanese about a decade ago (and promptly forgot most of it over the next 3 years).

Some things I have learned are:

- It's probably closest to Mandarin Chinese. They share a root origin and you can see the patterns in the language. It's kind of similar to how you can see the diverging points between Cantonese and Mandarin.

- If you are an anime fan and learning Japanese, do not directly learn Japanese from anime. Anime is often heavily stylized in its speaking patterns and conversational Japanese is quite different than anime Japanese.

- Written Japanese, like the Chinese languages, is fairly hard for a non-native speaker to learn.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

Ancient and medieval China accomplished so many things that one wonders how much farther they would have gone, if their ridiculously complicated "ideographic" writing system had not held them back.