Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 03-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #41
kirant
I (somehow) evolved Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Whats the big plan to fix obamacare [...] Thats what's been relatively unaddressed.
This is what gets me. His line was basically "repeal Obamacare" off the bat (his promise being within 100 days) and his line is slowly moving towards a compromise and hesitation on "it's really complicated". Something any healthcare professional (or anybody with any knowledge of healthcare systems) could have told you.

So I'm not shocked he was going to hesitate to touch it. But if someone's wonk is ACA and wants it gone, I would get ready to watch him delay for a while. I think his "I don't want people dying on the streets" belief is going to give his "Obamacare is a disaster" sentiment a run for its money, especially as Republicans have no good plan and Trump's own isn't great.

Quote:
His 'negotiations' are going to have to be enormous but hes going to invest, ie we're going to increase our debt for the time being to get more effective infrastructure, such as better health coverage.
Except this ultimately defeats his "reduce national debt" promises.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161110...aign-promises/

I'm living this investment right now. Trudeau won on very much the same promises (investment in infrastructure, in particular in Quebec...as well as spending on healthcare. Our deficit hit ~30 billion due to it, which scales up to ~300 billion to the USA after being basically even the year before. Apply this to the USA and we go from 441 billion deficit to 700 billion (levels not hit since the debt crisis in the USA).

Canada, if we don't change course, won't break even until 2050 or so (with about 20 years of until we reach previous deficit levels before these programs got introduced). This is legitimately structural deficit. Stuff that isn't going to go away without risk of people saying "look at the government, trying to take away our services".

I don't mind the notion of introducing structural deficit if it can be held. But be aware that nothing he's doing is really going to improve the debt situation and ultimately puts the USA in a worse economic situation.

Quote:
one thing's for sure. in time, hes gonna shrink the government in terms of labor expenses, meaning government employees in several fields are gonna need new jobs
Except right now I think we'd agree that he's making a larger government with only vague platitudes about how to shrink it back down to even Obama levels. More government interior work, more spending, more government oversight of everything except the EPA (which we agree is shrinking under him).

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #42
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

I don't need to add any comments to this: ^_^
Spoiler: show

IF YOUR DERP LASTS LONGER THAN 4 HOURS, SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #43
kirant

Going to be honest, I have to imagine things are slowly rolling off the rails. The CIA/FBI are angry at Trump for his allegations that Obama wiretapped Trump Tower, Republicans are mad at Trump as they don't like his new ACA replacement, Democrats are divided over their new party head, it seems like there will be a tonne of challenges to the revised travel restriction, Republicans are split over whether or not Session should resign over his probable perjury, and the entire US government is mad at Wikileaks for disclosing the CIA's actual power.

...I'm gonna need more popcorn.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:37 AM   #44
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Amnesty for Snowden! :P
Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 AM   #45
kirant

Doesn't seem to be anything moving on that front yet.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #46
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

From The Daily Banter:

Wikileaks Jumps The Shark, by Justin Rosario

"The question is no longer 'Is Wikileaks in bed with Putin?', it's 'Does Wikileaks have to translate all of their posts from the original Russian?'" xD

In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, may the Ascended Madoka make Assange's shillelagh turn green and his blarney stones fall off.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #47
kirant

...And if you were hoping Trump would do things that he promised, I think we're done here.

Skipping over all the insanity (Conway proclaiming possible cameras in the back of microwaves), the Republicans are pushing through the replacement to the ACA. It's got basically nothing Trump promised. Not only did it not save Medicaid and Medicare without cutting benefits (something he promised he'd do), it's got basically none of his campaign promises. Most notably, it misses his promise to make insurance to sell over state lines while basically taking insurance away from 24 million Americans. That would place the % uncovered at above the ACA's implementation (basically making things worse)

Oh, and most of those who lose coverage are Trump supporters.

All that after firing Preet Bharara, the US Attorney who made a name for himself fighting corruption on Wall Street. Probably the last guy you want to let go if you're "draining the swamp".

It's a strange and volatile concoction of basically House Republicans' biggest desires. So if actions speak louder than words, the actions seem to be "I'm basically letting the Republicans do what they want".

The neutral Gallup polls (and I again emphasize neutral because it seems someone can't spot the word typically) make an interesting story. The last two days have seen Trump's popularity drop from -4 approval to disapproval differential to minus 16. The lowest he got was minus 18 before mellowing out in the back half of February.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/ga...-approval.aspx

Time will tell if this is another spike or a crater in his approval. Trump managed to stall the decline in popularity last time.

---

A more interesting story IMO is the story in South Korea. Long story short, their leader was found to have never given up her family's cult connections (something that heavily influenced her growing up) and a cult leader basically had unfettered access to her, seemingly able to cast power if desired. So the Prime Minister got taken from power a while ago and recently got impeached.

The insanity can't be summarized all that well. Look it up if you have time.

Turns out, protesting and anger over incompetence actually works. Who knew?

Last edited by kirant; 03-14-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #48
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

Poor widdle Pure Left Snowflake Ian Welsh is disappointed that Cheeto Mussolini is breaking his promises to lift up the meth-addled, cousin-humping knuckle-walkers of Flyover Country who voted for him and adore him.

To Ian Welsh and his fellow Horseshoe Leftists, who thought Cheetolini might actually do some good things: This Meganekko Is You.

EDIT: I forgot this.

2ND EDIT: I found this today. It seems that more than half of the people who will lose the most if the ACA (aka "Obamacare") is repealed voted for Cheetolini.

"Democracy is the theory that the people know what they want--and deserve to get it, good and hard."--H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 03-18-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #49
Jassassino
Il Principe

Is anyone on here British/following of British politics?

If so, what're your guys opinions on the Brexit situation the UK currently faces? Personally I'm dreading it a little, especially considering it'll hinder plans I have to travel after University finishes greatly. Well, not so much hinder but more complicate matters.

I'm also really frightful of our economy, Theresa May has rushed through Article 50 with no second thought - Cameron, despite all his faults, at least promised a thorough and slow movement toward 'Brexit'. I'm truly dreading what may arise as a result.

Also, as a side-note, Corbyn isn't taking shots he should against Theresa May, she's hugely vulnerable right now and he's squandering PMQs and it saddens me. I wish Clive Lewis was leader of Labour right now in some ways. Just as a left-wing as Corbyn and more charismatic and hot-on-the-money than any other member of either Conservative's or Labour right now.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #50
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Didn't that happen months ago? And I didn't think the british had political crap like america. i assumed they were like dignified and had proper debates and stuff, rather than our sewage doused media here. Anyway. I think the brexit was a good thing. i'm a fan of a global economy, no tarrifs, we all trade and do our best and that is the best weapon against terrorism, communism, predujice and poverty. Remember when Britian had that global empire? There's the right idea :P