Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #31
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Dude, you are so liberally biased, Canadian.
Whether or not I'm Canadian has no impact on the validity of my statements. You go ahead and take personal shots if you want but they don't do anything to change whether or not the commentary I make is correct.

Quote:
Not dislike him, are you kidding? Obama's approval once went into the 20%, that's the lowest in american history!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...pproval_rating

Obama - Lowest approval rating - 40%. Hit thrice. Conducted by the neural Gallup polls.

Where are you getting your 20%?

Quote:
He wasnt called no drama he was called a smooth talking crook from Chicago. People barked for years to see his birth certificate and it took 6 years for him to show us (so dont be surprised when it takes that long to see Trumps taxes).
He showed his birth certificate right away. Spring to June of the same year is a heck of a short 6 years to me. The only way you get close to 6 years is if you listen to someone who's a serial litigant. Or if you just flat out disagreed with John McCain in 2008.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...cate-timeline/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-timeline.html

Quote:
He did WAY more damage to the economy actually. It tanked, yes. However Obama spent more than twice the amount of money than every other president combined.
My point was defending Bush. We can discuss Obama's impact on the economy if you want but my comment was that Bush gets incorrectly associated with the housing bubble.

Quote:
But yeah your media i guess is just as bad, as you said 'getting tired of reporting it.' well leave it alone.
But that means you're not really thinking maximizing viewership then. Again, this stuff sells. News reporters have their own way of sneaking in that someone should have this many stupid things happening at once and want to get to closer stories. But people are just fascinated at the trainwreck that is Trump with the media. Or Trump with his own intelligence agencies. Or sometimes Trump with reality.

Quote:
you guys always seem to forget you don't get a vote, im sorry, i know you're our neighbors but this aint your country and you have no sway either way.
However, Canada is closely tied with the USA economically. We hear the words "I want to renegotiate NAFTA" and people freak out because, as I've said before, it's critical to the Canadian economy.

Quote:
You really go through all these efforts to defend Obama, hes not the saint you think he is.
I'm not defending him though. I think he was a president who spent way too much political capital on his first action and basically got lame duck'd for 6 years. He didn't attempt to reach across the aisle to compromise and took a "my way or the highway" approach.

At the same time, Obama should have no bearing on Trump. We can view the two within and of themselves, much like how we can view LBJ and Kennedy individually despite their legacies being so heavily tied together. (Side note - LBJ...now that was someone who knew how DC worked intimately).

Quote:
I think you're getting too much information from 'the american media' which is the worst place to get information.
Note to self - 0% news from American media is too much news from American media.

Quote:
crazy the info youre getting about america up there.
It does a better job than any USA news station though. Reports actual news (as oppose to Fox or CNN), doesn't jump to conclusions and waits for official statements as oppose to random comments. And is absolutely ready to call out any party, any allegiance.

Quote:
as for whats happening with russia, wait about 2 months and see if its still festering before driving yourself crazy worrying about it. theres a massive game of telephone being played right now, the media makes it worse, blah blah. give it a while before freaking out about it.
That's what we said about the reports on Alfa Bank and they came back as this. Not to mention Trump just said (as of minutes ago) that the leaks are real.

That's what I said about him fighting his own agencies. But it's pretty clear now that he decided, no, let's kick over the hornet's nest. And now we've got more leaks than a porcupine's raincoat.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #32
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

As I have noted before, I find it fun to watch Kirant do this to someone else.
Spoiler: show
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #33
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
As I have noted before, I find it fun to watch Kirant do this to someone else.
Honestly, this is how I imagine the third party:

Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 AM   #34
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

I found this in a link from Cannonfire.

Wikileaks is angry that Cheetolini is being leaked against.

As Dave Barry would say, I Am Not Making This Up.

Also, some humor:

EDIT 2/19/17: I'm not sure how much of this I agree with, but it might be worth reading:

4chan: The Skeleton Key to the Rise of Trump, by Dale Beran

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 02-20-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #35
kirant

Honestly, I think it's extraordinary that there managed to be something which tops the USA backing out of a two-state solution to Israel/Palestine. Turns out, you can though. First, the replacement for Flynn, the well respected Robert Harward (who I'd actually have liked as a pick in such a spot), turned down the NSA position and called the position a s*** sandwich. Trump had the interview to end all interviews where every news station basically responded with "What the hell was that?". Even stations friendly to him couldn't think of a positive to spin out of it. I think it's the closest we've ever seen a man come to melting down on live TV. It must be heard to be believed but it includes such wonders as:
- Claiming (about stories covering leaks out of his government) "the leaks are real, but the news is fake"
- STILL being obsessed with the voting results
- Literally said this 5 year old's description of nuclear weaponry: "You know what uranium is, right? This thing called nuclear weapons and other things like lots of things are done with uranium including some bad things". I swear to you I'm copying this literally off of a video recording.
- Managed to make all this out of what was supposed to be a positive and happy news conference

(Incidentally, they asked Harward again after this conference. He turned them down, citing the news conference as his reason not to get involved)

Also, he had a campaign rally for an election in 2020 which referenced something which happened "last night" in Sweden. Turns out that you can baffle about 7 billion people with such a comment as literally nothing interesting happened in Sweden (except by a Neo Nazi against immigrants if you're REALLY stretching it). This prompted a social media laughfest such as Twitter comments and images describing Sweden:

All in all, Trump got roasted harder online than the Swedish Chef's meals.

The Swedish government even took the step to ask the USA to clarify the issue as even they didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Basically, Trump found the story from Fox news. The story covered the possibility of increased violence in Sweden due to immigration. The police in the story have been asked about it and said were asked extremely misleading questions and do not support Fox's segment.

And we're finally near a month out. I swear it's been half a year.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #36
Kid Charlemagne
Antique Flatulence

The Queen is not amused.

Love the corgi on the left side. :D
Old 02-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #37
kirant

Okay, you can't make this stuff up. As soon as the ACA is on the chopping block, the support for it has hit an all-time high.

(Information directly coming from the Pew Research Center)

The interesting point here is that it seems to indicate a huge swing in independent (non-party aligned) voters who favour being Democrat. They have gained a huge support, especially in the <30, White and Hispanic, and college educated categories.

This is the same group which likely dropped off because of Sanders losing the nomination to Clinton. Which all leads to an interesting idea that maybe the Sanders backers have moved to defend ACA as oppose to the single-payer system that Sanders pushed for.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ches-new-high/

Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #38
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Pretty good state of the union speech tonight. What did you liberal dudes think?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:30 AM   #39
kirant

Quote:
Pretty good state of the union speech tonight. What did you liberal dudes think?
It was delivered with a reasonable professionalism (regardless of how I felt about the content itself). One which befits a president. Two things stand out in mind however:

1) It honestly didn't sound like a Republican's speech. In fact, I found it closer to a Democrat's "tax and spend" model. A trillion from infrastructure, larger and more intrusive agencies, reasonable support of ACA (something it sounds like he's leaning more and more towards after another admission a couple days ago than healthcare is more complex than he thought). He in fact sounds like he's in favour of big government.

Quote:
My administration wants to work with members of both parties to make child care accessible and affordable, to help ensure new parents that they have paid family leave to invest in women’s health, and to promote clean air and clean water, and to rebuild our military and our infrastructure.
-- All this sounds like a Democrat's platform. Just without the taxing to make up the increased spending. In fact, I actually would have bet this to be a Democrat's speech had it not been in a transcript of Trump's address.

-- And this sounds ugly if you're a fiscal conservative. I'm not myself (nor am I really Keynesian) but if you're of the mind that you have to drop the debt, there's not a lot to like. Everything Trump says outside of a vague "two-for-one" exchange policy in terms of government programs basically reads "let's spend more".

-- Forget reigning in the debt at this point. Him and Trudeau are in a spending war. Trudeau to fund childcare/infrastructure and Trump on the military/border security/infrastructure. None of those are money generating cases and, unless altered, are likely to create structural deficits.

2) It concerns me that we can give away praise just for basic competency at this point. That you can get through one speech without making a blunder. I can't recall any other president getting commendations for just managing to read a prompt.

Last edited by kirant; 03-02-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #40
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Its the ol curtain. Whats the big plan to fix obamacare and spend more while reducing debt? Thats what's been relatively unaddressed. His 'negotiations' are going to have to be enormous (granted our trade deals are very very expensive) but hes going to invest, ie we're going to increase our debt for the time being to get more effective infrastructure, such as better health coverage. when he said 'remove state lines' i thought its about freakin time. so glad someone is going to let these companies who are businesses finally act like them, compete, and drive down pricing through competition. what we have now is a system of cartels with government regulation. total expense mess. one thing's for sure. in time, hes gonna shrink the government in terms of labor expenses, meaning government employees in several fields are gonna need new jobs, like the EPA (who im VERY against, not in practice, im an environmentalist, i just hate the EPA in practice.)

there kirant, ought to fuel a 5 page rebuttal. go :)