Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Lucky Star > Anime

Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Theodoricos

Anime Timeline

I'm confused about the timeline of the anime, and I was hoping that somebody could help me out.

What I know is that Kagami, Konata, Tsukasa and Miyuki are in their second year of high school in the first episode of Lucky Star. The last episode, on the other hand, shows their last days of their senior year.

My questions are:
1. Just how many school years have passed between the first and last episode?
2. During which month does a school year begin in Japan, and when does a school year end?

I am not very knowledgeable about the Japanese school system, and I can't find concrete information about these questions.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

if i remember correctly the japanese schoolyear begins in March or April.
the anime begins with the main 4 wearing their winter uniforms during their second year~
the anime probably covers just over 1 year :3
but I'm really not sure ^_^
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
VK-Skelton
Witch

Weeeell, working from memory

Japanese high schools traditionally have 3 years, we see the main cast in their second and third year, and new characters in the first year around halfway through the series.

Japanese school year starts in the spring, at around the beginning of April. At the start of the anime the girls are wearing their winter school uniform, then switch to the summer uniform by around the 4th or 5th episode, which means that the series begins shortly after their 2nd year starts. Looking it up now, Golden Week falls in the second episode, which would be the end of April-first week of May, so we can date the series start as being mid-late April.

As the series progresses, we see the characters go from being 2nd year students to 3rd year students, and a fresh intake of 1st years joining the school. Although events such as the girls going on summer break are only seen once, by this timeline it must have happened again at some point during the series run (and may even have been referenced a 2nd time, I can't remember). Similarly, events such as Tanabata may only be mentioned once, but would have occured twice. Valentines Day, on the other hand, would only have occured once.

The end of the series is during the school's cultural festival during the girls' final year. Most schools in Japan hold these around the end of October to the beginning of November. Graduation ceremonies would be held around March, so we're still around 5 months off the main characters finishing their last school year. This means the series runs from around April year 2 to November year 3, so about a year and a half in total.

I hope that answers your questions!
This is mainly done from memory, with a little research, so if anyone wants to correct me, feel free.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Theodoricos

Thank you to both for your answers! The Japanese school is definitely much different than what I'm personally used to, which is why I was so confused during the length of the anime.

Knowing all this helps me to get a much better idea of the anime's timeline. I was further confused by the number of times they change their uniforms, but with this in mind, it helps to make more sense of it.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
VK-Skelton
Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoricos View Post
Thank you to both for your answers! The Japanese school is definitely much different than what I'm personally used to, which is why I was so confused during the length of the anime.

Knowing all this helps me to get a much better idea of the anime's timeline. I was further confused by the number of times they change their uniforms, but with this in mind, it helps to make more sense of it.
No problem, glad to help!
A lot of anime takes place in schools, so it is easy to get confused at times.