Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Anime & Manga

Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Full Metal Panic!

Full Metal Panic! is a sci-fi/mecha/comedy/drama that began as a series of light novels by Shoji Gatoh, which was then adapted into eight manga (both direct adaptations and spin-offs) and three anime series (Full Metal Panic! from GONZO and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid by Kyoto Animation in the main series; Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu by Kyoto Animation as a spin-off), among other things. It follows a 16-year-old member of the military mercenary force Mithril named Sousuke Sagara as he tries to juggle a military job and a school life while guarding a high school girl named Kaname Chidori, who is of a special brand of super-intelligent humans called The Whispered.

The series was dubbed by ADV Films for FMP! and Fumoffu and by both ADV and FUNimation Entertainment in associantion with Kadokawa Pictures USA for TSR. The English dub is known for being very well-done and excellent throughout its three seasons (with specific excellence given in regard to the later episodes of Fumoffu and the entirety of The Second Raid), with specific mention given to Luci Christian as Kaname Chidori, Chris Patton as Sousuke Sagara, and Hilary Haag as Teletha "Tessa" Testarossa.

I have just recently (read: one hour ago as of this writing) finished season one of this series (the one helmed by GONZO), and I LOVE IT!! Anybody else seen this excellent series?
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER, Heartcatch Precure!, SSSS.Gridman
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 11-23-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
'John Smith'

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this awesome anime already.

This anime is one of the few where i actually like the canon love interest with the protagonist.

FMP TSR's action scenes are really cool to watch and Fumoffu's a bundle of lol's. FMP falls somewhere inbetween ;P
'John Smith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Tsukasa's_Lover
Tsukasa's one and only

seen the 1 and 3rd seasons. I refuse to watch Fumoffu....
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa's_Lover View Post
seen the 1 and 3rd seasons. I refuse to watch Fumoffu....
Why's that?
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER, Heartcatch Precure!, SSSS.Gridman
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
nathangonmad
Posting Freak

Been waiting on s4 for a fair few years now.
nathangonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathangonmad View Post
Been waiting on s4 for a fair few years now.
I understand that Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid was made in 2006, the same year as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Given that fact, I'd imagine that you'd be rather starved for more.

And then we consider the fact that most of the North American releases of the original novels are out-of-print, and that the ones in decent condition fetch for prices that'd make Bill Gates cringe. $300 for book 4, anyone?

BTW, end of season one...
Spoiler: show
Sousuke: ...Kashim... YOU AREN'T MY FRIEND!! DON'T CALL ME THAT, YOU SHITHEAD!!!

EDIT: Now watching episode 3 of Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. Wow, three episodes in and it already blows season one outta the water! But, of course, what else do you expect when it's directed by Yasuhiro Takemoto (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season one) and animated by Kyoto Animation?

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 11-24-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Tsukasa's_Lover
Tsukasa's one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
Why's that?
not much fun to watch when there's no real big mecha battles.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa's_Lover View Post
not much fun to watch when there's no real big mecha battles.
I guess the more serious aspects are what enamored you. And I honestly concur.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
'John Smith'

I liked all three seasons.

Production wise, the TSR stomps all over the first one, but that first season had a better villain/plot.

Fumoffu? is entertaining in its own way, I particularly like the episode where they are trying to retrieve the notebook (depending on whether you have the DVD or watched the broadcast, the airing order of that episode is different.)
'John Smith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Because of my newfound love of the series, I've decided that I am going to make an AMV using scenes from Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. I have an idea of what type of AMV I want to make, but the issue is choosing the right song for it.

I want to use a song that is slow yet rock-centric. Something that can strike a nice balance between the mecha battles and the human-centric scenes. The AMV will mainly be focused on Sousuke and Kaname, so I need a song that has romantically-styled lyrics that fit the style of relationship that Sousuke and Kaname share (protective and guarding, not too intimate, with a bit of comedic rivalry). And since my AMV is centered around the two darker seasons, the song has to match. Can anyone help?

Last edited by Shiraishi-kun; 11-28-2010 at 01:03 AM.