Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 AM   #1
kirant
Just another Friday night

Mass shooting at Quebec Mosque, 5 dead

Turns out for all the stuff we've got (World Politics, USA Election 2016, USA Mass Shootings)...none of them cover this.

It's reported that two or three shooters entered a mosque in Quebec City, armed (one with an AK-47, an illegal civilian weapon in Canada) and opened fire while they were at prayer. At least 5 are reported dead. Two are arrested.

Edit - The names of the arrested are Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir.
Edit - Alexandre Bissonette is listed as the sole suspect being detained at the moment. Mohamed Khadir was taken in as a witness.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...hots-1.3957686

For context, Quebec City has a bit of a mixed reputation when it comes to religious tolerance. This is the same mosque that had a pig's head left outside of it during Ramadan (there being the well known restriction of pork consumption in Islamic faith)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...city-1.3642883

This is a horrendous action regardless of political stripes. Murder within and of itself is a disgusting act, let alone one so brazen as to attack an area of worship of individuals who pose no threat. I really don't care who it is or who it's against. I think we can agree that this sort of action should not happen.

(I will reiterate what a Quebecer I know just said to me. Chalice, gang. FFS, people)

Call me an optimist, but I feel most of us as a species are better than this.

(Edit - RCMP have confirmed they are treating this as an act of terrorism)

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 01-30-2017 at 09:04 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Horrible stuff.

What makes this even worse for me, is Khadir being the initial suspect paraded around various news outlets, adding a ton of fuel to the anti-Muslim fire, but in the end Khadir only being a witness.

To paraphrase a reddit comment: 'this is why we wait to release suspect naems'
Old 01-31-2017, 03:16 AM   #3
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
What makes this even worse for me, is Khadir being the initial suspect paraded around various news outlets, adding a ton of fuel to the anti-Muslim fire, but in the end Khadir only being a witness.
Absolutely. I was horrified reading the amount of speculation last night. Even worse is that Khadir is really a hero in this situation. He was trying to tend to a victim when the police came in.

You'd think reddit would learn after that amazing screw up that was the Boston bomber. But...I guess not.

The information on the shooter seems to paint a consistent picture. Every interview and every report seems to agree that he's a quiet guy and has never really backed down in a fight. He is staunchly anti-immigration, often calls feminists "feminazis", an online troll, and a Trump supporter.

I will warn that he hasn't given an explanation for his actions yet and police are still working on the case. They formally charged him today with 6 cases of first degree murder (another is listed as dead) and 5 cases of attempted murder. I would assume that they add on a charge for intent later (such as terrorism if it fits) once they determine his intent.

The victims here are pretty sad. One of them was a Laval professor and, from what I can tell, a fairly major individual in the agriculture side of engineering. He had a keynote address in major events as recently as last year.

(Honest question here - can someone explain to me why Spicer, who speaks for the White House, is defending the "Muslim ban" (as it's becoming known) through this? I mean, the logic I have to work through is "Quebecois shoots Muslims. Therefore, ban Muslims." What?)

Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
Old 01-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Davidandreis
Mangaka Assistant

Hey what about the anti-immigrant law??Seems good on paper but also somewhat silly
Davidandreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidandreis View Post
Hey what about the anti-immigrant law??Seems good on paper but also somewhat silly
Yes. An anti-immigrant law would totally save Canada from a born and raised Canadian.

Immigration bans as an idea barely make sense on paper by sheer numbers. They are even less useful when implemented. This will go double in a world where "lone wolf" attacks not associated with an organization are conducting attacks on you as oppose to a group of obvious people.

If we look at the current situation in the USA, this is more hysteria than actual reasoned thought. The only nations struggling with immigration based terror is Germany who chose an open door policy as oppose to screening. Nations with screening in situations where immigration bans may be worthwhile, such as Canada, have not struggled with immigration based terror. In fact, this is true for the USA too. Almost every attack against US civilians in the past few years have been conducted by US born citizens.

A country with social media and electronic idea sharing gains little by closing its borders.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Misao
Posting Freak

Of course Spicer is applying this to America's own new government and presenting it as a cautionary tale.

... despite it having nothing to do with Americans!

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misao View Post
Of course Spicer is applying this to America's own new government and presenting it as a cautionary tale.

... despite it having nothing to do with Americans!
Or immigrant terrorists. Or anything logical at all. It's just two ideas slammed together barely resembling coherent thought.

Again, the argument is "A born and raised Canadian shot Muslims while in Canada. Therefore ban Muslims".

Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Davidandreis
Mangaka Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Or immigrant terrorists. Or anything logical at all. It's just two ideas slammed together barely resembling coherent thought.

Again, the argument is "A born and raised Canadian shot Muslims while in Canada. Therefore ban Muslims".
Yeah that somehow happened here in Romania.But it never was implemented.
Davidandreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Misao
Posting Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
"A born and raised Canadian shot Muslims while in Canada. Therefore ban Muslims".
"A-DUUUUR. I RUN AMERICA!!!"

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #10
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misao View Post
"A-DUUUUR. I RUN AMERICA!!!"
I'm pretty sure that's Steve Bannon.