Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 10-17-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
Nyanacopter
Top Secret Member

Current Events News Discussion

I figured it's easier to have a thread to discuss what's currently in the news.
Nyanacopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Well, I for one think that's what the chatbox is for. Also, kirant and KC use the "global politics" thread basically as a current events thread anyway.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
kirant
Just another Friday night

Yay. No need to limit myself to politics then.

NAFTA
Spoiler: show
So I guess things are finally starting to reach the end of discussions. They will not meet Trump's desired "Christmas 2017" deadline though.

Each side is starting to draw lines in the sand with all the key individuals making statements defending their country.

Canada is very unsubtle and pointing that the USA is making very "unconventional" requests which cannot be met. Again, it's transparent language that the USA wants to remove third party mediation for trade disputes. The USA is repeatedly creamed in the mediation and told it's breaking the rules of NAFTA (which it is).

Mexico is pointing that they will not back a lose-lose-lose proposal, nor one where one country wins all. Namely, they basically just don't want to deconstruct a mutually exclusively beneficial trade for the sake of poor understanding of how trade deficits work and affect the economy.

The USA wants to have countries remove their supply limits. In short, the USA has too much agricultural production (milk, cheese, etc) but limitations prevent them from selling them in other markets.

Incidentally, it seems unlikely that NAFTA as a whole will "fall apart" despite all the contingency planning. If the USA were to wish to leave NAFTA, Congress would need to approve it and Congress appears to have no appetite for that.

Also a fun note: The UK, preparing to leave the EU, is starting to look for other free trade zones and is looking at joining NAFTA.

Boeing and the case of being hypocritical bullies
So recently, the plane company Bombardier reached a plane sale for their C-Series aircraft with Delta Airlines.

Which Boeing promptly complained about and whined to the USA government until they imposed import tariffs (~300% of the plane's sale value). The reason Boeing filed a complaint is that they felt Bombardier was receiving too much Canadian federal money (~1.5 billion) and was selling the planes at under value (which it is). They filmed complaints of unfair sales, despite not offering up a comparable product as evidence that it is sold under value.

Except this is exactly what Boeing did to get itself off the ground.

Over the last 17 years, Boeing itself received 64 billion in USA government secured loans, as well as 13 billion in government subsidies. It also receives many favourable contracts with the USA's Department of Defence. They also sold their planes at under market value.

In short, this is a case of the kettle calling the pot black.

Really, what this comes down to is that Boeing doesn't want to have competition in the USA's aviation market. They attempted the same thing on Airbus in the early 2000's, but started after Airbus began taking hold of the market share. Not wanting any more competition, Boeing wants to cut off Bombardier before it even takes hold.

So, let's update the story. It's the kettle calling the pot black and the kettle wanting no more black coloured appliances in the kitchen.

Needless to say, nobody is really impressed by this. Canada and the UK (the UK housing many manufacturing positions with Bombardier) are looking to alternatives for upgrades to their military air force. For example, Canada was seriously considering the Boeing's Super Hornet, but is now exploring used F-18s from Australia...still a Boeing plane, but a private sale between two nations.

Additionally, the tariff seems to have offended Delta, who sided with Bombardier in the issue.

Airbus eventually offered to partner with Bombardier, taking 51% of the C-Series rights and effectively skirting the tariff by calling it an Airbus product.

Honestly, the most disgusting part of this is that Boeing had the audacity to run ads in Canada right after attempting to torpedo the sale, pandering to their viewers and thanking Canadians for many years of friendship. Going by the populace's reaction, they haven't helped themselves at all.

Iran
Whoo boy. Get yourself something to drink as this is going to get silly.

So, as you might know, Iran was working on development of nuclear weaponry. This resulted in a swath of international sanctions. Iran eventually backed off on the deal and things settled down on the provision that Iran didn't start up its nuclear program again (with very specific limitations on what they can't do).

Trump, on the campaign trail at the time, called it the most unfair deal in USA history.

Problem #1: The USA didn't give anything up. They had simply unfrozen Iranian assets and ended deals with some Iranian companies.

So, Trump this week decided that this week he'll decertify Iran for violating the nuclear agreement.

Problem #2: No other organization sees anything remotely close to breaking the arms deal.

And so, many news organizations decide to start panicking about this.

Problem #3: The USA's certification of the deal means jack squat. All it does is state the USA is unhappy and is telling itself it is unhappy. The IAEA is the one which has power to decertify the deal. The EU even wrote the diplomatic equivalent of "F you" saying they cannot end the deal for what essentially USA internal politics.

This move is completely contradictory to all advice he's gotten. Major ex-military officials which advise him all tell him to stay on with the deal.

Kind of fun news for me:
My birth city, Calgary, held its municipal election last night. Calgary (and its entire province, Alberta) are often thought of as "Canada's Texas" because of a heavily "conservative" voter base (likely voting Republican if it was a USA state) and heavy reliance on the fossil fuel industry.

It elected, for his third term, Naheed Nenshi. This will bring him to mayor of the city for 11 years total (if my math is right).

This is of particular note as Nenshi was the first Muslim mayor of a major city in North America back in 2009.

There's lots more fun I could over (such as the Philippines ending its "Drug war" at the moment and Trump basically making no attempt to talk about fallen soldiers), but that's enough typing for now.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

This is the politics thread again!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
This is the politics thread again!
Not honestly sure what you were expecting. The definition of the thread just changed from "Politics" to "Anything that's happened recently".

Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
Nyanacopter
Top Secret Member

Maybe he's some kind of expert? I'm not sure.
Nyanacopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #7
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyanacopter View Post
Maybe he's some kind of expert? I'm not sure.
Damn. I want a job in that.

"Professional determiner of what are political threads"

All I'd have to do is read reddit's political threads all the time.

...Actually, never mind. That sounds like a nightmare.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #8
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
All I'd have to do is read reddit's political threads all the time.
You have just defined Hell.

Meanwhile, from Geek.com:

Our favorite foreign country has enlisted Sailor Moon in its War on Syphilis.