Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Nyanacopter
Top Secret Member

Android Phones

So what's your opinions on Android Phones? Did they add to the quality of life or were they some kind of obstacle? Any thoughts?
Nyanacopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
XxLordxX
Holy Headbanger Knight

Well, if we're talking about Android phones I might as well tell my history with them.

My first Android phone was a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro, I got it as a birthday gift back in September 2010, when almost no one had a smartphone, let alone an android one. It was a fun little device, had my music on it, could watch videos, play some games. Even back in 2010 emulation was a big thing for Android, so this small guy was a great device to play those nice SNES, GBA, GBC, etc games. Hell it even had WiFi! So I could browse the web! The only drawback is that back in 2010 data was very expensive in Brazil, so I didn't have a mobile data package and had to limit myself to WiFi only.

Spoiler: show

This little guy is was my first Android phone

Enter July 2011, Sony Ericsson said they wouldn't update the Xperia X10 Mini Pro to Android 2.2 FroYo, neither to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. When it came out the phone was running a Sony version of the Android 1.6 Donut, called TimeScape, it was lovely, shortly after I got it, the phone was update to Android 2.1 Eclair, with performance improvements, and they added Live Wallpapers! It was so damn fun! Being the uninformed guy I was back then, I didn't know that we were late to the Eclair party, that there was already FroYo and Gingerbread ahead. In the fateful day that they decided not to update my phone was when I got into XDA-Developers, a community made by developers where I could find a way to update my old Xperia X10 Mini Pro to FroYo. After some days reading and researching I finally got the root exploit to work, got a custom recovery installed and flashed CyanogenMOD 6! Some weeks later I was running CM7! Finally got the sweet taste of almost pure Android and Gingerbread on my phone!

This was the banner for CyanogenMod 6 for the X10 Mini device

So back in the day I was a 13-14 years old kid playing with the development of a device, I could backup a system, install a custom recovery, flash ROMs, everything was fun. Enter October 2011, say hello to Motorola Xoom, my first Android tablet, which is also probably the first real Android tablet. It was extremely powerful for its time, with its dual core Nvidia Tegra 2 processor and whopping 1 GB of RAM. Best of all? It was supported directly from Google, so faster updates and pure Android experience! Was I a happy boy when I got it! Got it to run amazing 3D games -- I can list from my head Modern Combat 3, 9mm, Dungeon Hunter, Dungeon Defenders, Cordy --, was an amazing media device, the audio quality was nice and a great 10 inches display to watch videos and movies!

Motorola Xoom still holds a place in my heart today

It came with Android 3.0 Honeycomb, which was the first Android version to have a nice and beautiful interface. I fell in love with it, then after some months the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich was out. I read at XDA that Motorola was soon rolling it out for the Xoom and I couldn't wait for it to happen, however days passed and nothing from Motorola Brazil. If you can guess what I did I'll give you a candy hehe. Yes, there was I again back to development! Got the bootloader unlocked, custom recovery installed, root access and flashed TeamEOS ICS ROM. Everything okay, except for the fact that for unlocking the booloader I'd have to format the device and there were some folders I couldn't backup. So, I learned about adb and command line, made a backup using Windows cmd and wrote my first real small guide on XDA. Which soon came to become a shell script and after a few weeks, it became a full fetched toolbox for Motorola Xoom. LordAIOTool was its name, basically a 14 years old kid having fun with a device made it out. January 2012 I got a XDA Portal article about my tool, it was my first taste of being famous. You can check it here: http://www.xda-developers.com/all-in...dual-recovery/. Hell, if you search on google for lord aio, the first suggestion will be lord aio tool and there will be a lot of links out there.

It's worth saying that by 2011 I already decided that I'd go for a Computer Science/Engineering graduation. Continuing with my little story, April 24th of 2012, I've became a Recognized Contributor on XDA-Developers. I was one of the first 100 to get that new title that was added on XDA. Couldn't be happier back then. And the my tale of improving and maintaining my tools started, I was huge in the Motorola Xoom subforums. By the mid of 2012 we got Android 4.1 Jellybean, and of course I got it installed. By the end of 2012 there was already a new Android version out there, 4.2 Jellybean, Xoom was out of the update list, however of course devs from XDA-Developers figured out how to get it on Xoom and it was up running on my tablet in some days.

Unfortunately in the beginning of 2013 my Motorola Xoom suffered a small stupid fall and the screen was broken. I mean, the screen was fine, however the display was completely messed up, colors were a real mess. And at that day, my Xoom became a media center! I plugged it to the charger, then a micro HDMI to my TV and an OTG cable to the USB port plugged to an external hard drive, with a PS3 controller I could pair it to Bluetooth and still play some games, with the PS Move Navigation controller I had a mouse and with a Bluetooth keyboard I had, well, a keyboard! I could even run Linux on that tablet by then! Flexibility at its best!

This was before the screen was broken. Xoom running Ubuntu 10.04 IIRC.

By that time I was long considering changing my smartphone, which was still the same old X10 Mini Pro from September 2010. Since my tablet was broken I decided to get a new tablet as well. Enter June 2013, hello Samsung Galaxy S4 and Google Nexus 10. I got my first flagship device that month, a Galaxy S4. And was it beautiful, an amazingly fast device with a beast quadcore processor, whopping 2GB of RAM, an amazing 1080p display and a 32GB sdcard inside. Not only had I bought a S4, I also got the Nexus 10, which remains to this day my tablet. A beautiful QuadHD (2560x1600) display with the beefy Cortex A15 dual core processor and also 2 GB of RAM. I actually played Clannad on both my S4 and Nexus 10 with an app that would let me play if I had the game files. By that time I already had a SIM Card with data connection, so that time I could enjoy my smartphone at best.

This phone also still holds a place in my heart

And of course I developed something for the Galaxy S4! I had my own rooting method for it which was used in Linux, since there were no tools for it by the time I got my phone. I also became a helper on the S4 Help Thread and I go there quite often to help people solve issues with their phones. For the Nexus 10 I didn't do anything special, since there were already good stuff for it, the only thing I did though was unlocking its bootloader and getting root access.

Still using it as my tablet, unfortunately the battery doesn't last more than 1h of use currently

The year of 2013 went by, and by January of 2014 I messed up an update, or should I say, Samsung messed up an update and broke my Galaxy S4 bootloader? All in all, my S4 was gone, and I was pretty sad about it. February 2014 I got a new phone to replace it, enter Sony Xperia Z1. I was back to the Sony market. What a phone the Z1 was, except for its not so stellar 1080p LCD display, a true beast. Snapdragon 800 quadcore processor was insanely fast by that time and still is good by today standards, again 2GB of RAM, not that you would need much more in a phone by that time and a 21MP Camera that was great. Took some amazing pictures with that phone. Until in May-June 2014, with a stupid small fall the touch screen was gone.

A very good phone, was it not so fragile

And back I was to my good ol' reliable X10 Mini Pro. It was pretty hard to deal with the change, I mean, I was using the top end of phones from 2013-2014, with 5 inches displays and then get thrown back to a small device from 2010. Even though I still carry around my X10 Mini Pro to this day as a backup device, it never failed me and still works pretty well as a GBA emulator! In July 2014 I found someone who was able to resurrect my S4, and so did I, in one week from when I found that guy I was back rocking my good Galaxy.

Fast forward to 2015, I got the touch screen of my Xperia Z1 repaired, and sold my good warrior Galaxy S4 to my father. It was a bad decision in the end. The repair of the Xperia Z1 was very bad, and the touch screen doesn't work very well, the borders of the screen sometimes start flashing, the camera for some reason is way worse than before and the battery life is lasting way less. In July 2015 I got a good deal on a Galaxy S6, I was quite sad back then and thought that getting a S6 would be a good way to cheer my mood up! And yes, it did!

This was a true beast of 2015!

Last edited by XxLordxX; 12-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
XxLordxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
XxLordxX
Holy Headbanger Knight

(Sorry for double posting, it didn't fit in only one post -- this is the continuation)

The S6 came rocking Android 5.1 out of the box, it's worth saying that I've used every single Android version except for the 1.5 Cupcake to this day. You name it, I used it. The screen on S6 was absurdly good, the processor was fast as hell, came with 3GB of RAM -- even though for some stupid reason you could only have 3 or 4 apps loaded in background --, the camera was amazing, the problems? None at first. A week later? The battery life showed up to be pretty mediocre and no expansion memory card slot made me micro manage my memory almost every day. Another problem that showed up way later (very likely I got a defective unit) was that the 7000 series aluminium started to show signs of corrosion, to which I solved getting a leather case that covered the sides of the phone, however it was still a huge deal for me who loves using the phone without any case or whatever.

It's fun to mention that back in March 2016 there was an Iron Maiden concert, and the tickets ran out and I ended up without one, enter Samsung Live Music Rocks, they literally gave 3,000 pairs of tickets to anyone with a Galaxy S6/Edge/Edge+, Note 4/5/Edge who'd sign up, and because of them I went to such amazing concert.

The official poster for the Samsung Live Music Rocks

Back in December 2015 to February 2016 I worked a bit for my father on an Android application project, got paid, and negotiated with my mother. In the end I sold her my Galaxy S6 and in the beginning of this month I got it, the best phone out there: the Galaxy S7 Edge. If you ask me about it, I'll just tell you that it's the perfect phone, I see not a single compromise with it. The interface is fast and fluid, the processor is a beast, it comes with a whopping 4GB of RAM -- I could load 16 apps in background without them being killed, or 3 high end games in background with one in foreground --, a great 5.5" display and the best part is external storage and a very impressive battery life.

The best phone around

So, all in all, Android phones made me choose my career as a computer programmer, I'm so locked down in the Android ecosystem now that I can't think about changing, since I own a lot of apps and I really enjoy customizing my experience. And it just made my life easier ya know? I can pick up the device in my pocket and do a hell ton of stuff that it wouldn't be possible without it, like watching a video while travelling, listening to hours and hours of heavy metal, playing nice looking games, all in one single device. I can't wait to see what the future holds up for Android phones, I've been in Android history since 2010, it has been 6 years since I started using and I can't wait to see how much it will still evolve.

Last edited by Beyond Birthday; 07-21-2016 at 02:34 AM.
XxLordxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
YuiKonata
OBJECTION!

It was about 6-7 years ago when I got my first android phone, the Samsung Galaxy S2:

One of my most favorite phones around. My music player and phone into one was the most favorite thing to me. I believe that the ability to customize and have basically have a computer on me was the reason for me to go android. After all, the apple iPhones were restricted and I felt that I was held back and forced into a limited space of customization (my iPod was jailbroken, but it didn't last that long).

About 2-3 years later, I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S4:

My S4 was with me for quite some time, and perhaps one of my favorite phones. Of course I upgraded again 2-3 years later, and my beloved S4 was sent to my cousin as a hand me down. Farewell my love ;(

And currently, I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge:

My love for android phones has never left me (though I have been more akin to Samsung a lot). Being in computer sciences, android is pretty cool and I would love to develop stuff on it in the future. Currently, I have an old iPad I've been using for a few years now and I'm looking to part ways with Apple for either an Android Tablet or Windows Tablet (them surface whatamacallits). For the years that I've had an android phone, I could never part ways with it ever. My family being mostly under the influence of the lord Apple, I'm more akin to staying away from it (not to say that I hate Apple, just not my kind of stuff ya know?). So android ftw. End of story.

Last edited by Beyond Birthday; 07-21-2016 at 02:34 AM.
YuiKonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
XxLordxX
Holy Headbanger Knight

@YuiKonata the Galaxy S2 was an amazing phone! Though it was released in 2011, so unless you had a prototype infinitely early unit you wouldn't be able to have it for 6-7 years :P.. But nice story, I like how we had similar phones hehe. The S4 was an amazing device I really loved mine, S6 Edge was pretty awesome as well.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of iOS as well :P. I was talking with a friend today, the iPhone is a good phone and that's it, there's nothing special about it, it's just that, plain and boring IMO hehe.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
mangaraw

Currently, the Android phone with lots of features, the app has been our life more interesting
mangaraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
YuiKonata
OBJECTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLordxX View Post
@YuiKonata the Galaxy S2 was an amazing phone! Though it was released in 2011, so unless you had a prototype infinitely early unit you wouldn't be able to have it for 6-7 years :P.. But nice story, I like how we had similar phones hehe. The S4 was an amazing device I really loved mine, S6 Edge was pretty awesome as well.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of iOS as well :P. I was talking with a friend today, the iPhone is a good phone and that's it, there's nothing special about it, it's just that, plain and boring IMO hehe.
I actually didn't have my S2 phone for THAT long :P

More info!

When I got my first phone, they were hand me downs (those old flip phones? Yeah those were the days...). I recall the first phone that I actually got that wasn't a hand me down. It was a Samsung phone like this:

I'm unsure if that was android or not but it was long ago so my memory about the phone isn't that sharp. Besides, I didn't really like it that much. I lost that on the train some years ago in junior high so I got an HTC Magic that was originally my dad's:

The HTC Magic was okay for me, pretty slow at the time. Being my first time using Android, it was pretty cool. That point was the turning point to getting Android phones. I used to want an iPhone back then (now I don't even care). That phone lasted about a few months and then I moved to the S2.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

So what's with these new exploding samsungs?
Old 05-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

A few years ago I wasn't interested in smartphones at all, I was fine with just using my laptop for the internet, I wanted a new flip phone.
But I upgraded to a Sony Xperia SP with Android Jelly Bean and I'm so glad I did, there's so much freedom to my internetting now ^-^
Now I've got a Samsung Galaxy A5 with Marshmallow, I've had it for a few years, I keep running out of storage and having to delete stuff and I recently COOVVEERREEDD the screen with cracks so I might upgrade soon.

I was so disappointed with myself, I was always so careful with it, but then it slipped out of my hand on a rocky path and CRRCCKK :O
I've kinda gotten used to it though