Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 12-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
Misao
Posting Freak

It's supposed to snow today, but only a little, and it's gonna happen in the evening. Still won't stop the local weather service to issue a weather warning for the state!

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
brupielink
The LSSF Clockmaker

Right now it's 9C (48F), it's starting to hover around freezing in the night.
Good old windshield scrapin'
Old 12-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #13
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

So if the northern hemisphere tilts away from the sun, even when were closest, does that mean the souther hemisphere tilts away when its the farthest? And so there winter i assume is more 'extreme' than ours?
Old 12-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #14
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
So if the northern hemisphere tilts away from the sun, even when were closest, does that mean the souther hemisphere tilts away when its the farthest? And so there winter i assume is more 'extreme' than ours?
Yes, the Southern Hemisphere is tilted away from the Sun at aphelion, which is the point at which the Earth is farthest from the Sun. (BTW, the Earth's closest approach to the Sun is called perihelion.)

I don't know if that makes the winters more extreme or not. The Southern Hemisphere has less land area than the Northern Hemisphere, and large bodies of water tend to moderate climate in neighboring land areas, so it might mitigate the differences between seasons. (It's been many years since I studied geography or "Earth Science".)

Lawdy? Inikalord? You two actually live in the SH; care to jump in?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #15
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
So if the northern hemisphere tilts away from the sun, even when were closest, does that mean the souther hemisphere tilts away when its the farthest?
Correct. It also results, IIRC, in the regional temperature acting the way you thought it would - the sun is furthest during the winter months and closest during the summer months. The two still aren't correlated but the happen to end up that way.

Quote:
And so there winter i assume is more 'extreme' than ours?
I can't speak for anybody living there, but there is no basic scientific function I know of which would suggest that. Maybe a stronger expert in the field can speak on it, but the effect of the distance is extremely marginal and altering when you have high spread/low spread (winter/summer) of your rays is the dominating force.

The Global Conveyor Belt shouldn't be altered by it either. Altered by climate changes, possibly. But altered between summer/winter? Probably negligibly so (as in "bananas technically give you radiation" low).

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote