Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 07-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
Gondolin
The Hidden Rock

Coup d'etat in Turkey

For the unaware, several hours ago the Turkish military attempted a coup, mobilizing armored vehicles, helicopters, jets, and planes, closing the bridges connecting Anatolia to Europe in Istanbul, and for a brief moment, controlling the government, also shutting down access to some social media.

At the moment, it appears as though the Turkish government was able to defeat the uprising with support of police and civilian action- reportedly it was only a smaller faction of the military that tried to rebel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tu...-idUSKCN0ZV2HK
Old 07-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

Too bad it failed. The Erdogan crime family will continue to allow ISIS to ship petroleum from its territory through Turkey, in exchange for a cut of the profits. Meh. :P
Old 07-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

I heard of this while it was happening. I was watching The Last Leg (a comedic, political, show, thing) and they started getting information about it as it was happening, of course it was all unconfirmed until later
Steam
3DS Friend Code: 2707 - 2715 - 7452
GenerallyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #4
Misao
Posting Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
For the unaware, several hours ago the Turkish military attempted a coup, mobilizing armored vehicles, helicopters, jets, and planes, closing the bridges connecting Anatolia to Europe in Istanbul, and for a brief moment, controlling the government, also shutting down access to some social media.

At the moment, it appears as though the Turkish government was able to defeat the uprising with support of police and civilian action- reportedly it was only a smaller faction of the military that tried to rebel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tu...-idUSKCN0ZV2HK
Yeah apparently the coup was unsuccessful. Not being familiar with Turkish politics, what caused the military to do this?

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #5
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
Too bad it failed. The Erdogan crime family will continue to allow ISIS to ship petroleum from its territory through Turkey, in exchange for a cut of the profits. Meh. :P
It's not like the military wing would have been any better, let's be fair.

But true, Erdogan is pretty much Putin-lite at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misao View Post
Yeah apparently the coup was unsuccessful. Not being familiar with Turkish politics, what caused the military to do this?
There's always been a large emphasis on the military side of the country. Much like Egypt, Turkey's military has a pretty big sway on their politics.

Erdogan has been a very polarizing figure for multiple reasons...the biggest here probably being that he's consolidating power under himself as oppose to the traditional spread of power to the military and the president. it could be a strike to restore the military's position.

However, people have suspected that this is a false flag operation given the circumstances. Erdogan was out of the country, the fight back was so prepared...there's reasonable cause to believe that Erdogan did this to take out his political enemies as there will be little opposition if he moves them out of the picture now.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #6
Nyanacopter
Top Secret Member

Doesn't this kind of stuff happen all the time or something? I mean besides the worst examples of humanity, how is this any different than what seem like a usual thing, I mean what's the difference this time around? Maybe I might need more information about what exactly this is about, if anybody can share with me I would be more than happy to thank for it, as I do want to know what is this really about, I really do.
Nyanacopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyanacopter View Post
Doesn't this kind of stuff happen all the time or something?
Not really. Coup d'etats aren't exactly the most common thing...and to see one fail in such spectacular fashion is extremely strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyanacopter View Post
I mean besides the worst examples of humanity, how is this any different than what seem like a usual thing, I mean what's the difference this time around?
It's an extremely unusual circumstance. It seemed soldiers were uninformed of the situation, told they were performing military drills and to shut down streets/bridges. In fact, I'd suggest that many were kept in the dark as to their actual purpose (which makes it doubly tragic that some were killed in the aftermath).

Add to that the absolute ineptitude to hit anything of value. Most major government figures were out of state (something that, even if you believe the story that the military conspirators knew they were outed and needed to act with haste, shouldn't happen) and few was really in trouble. A reasonable coup would need to secure the heads of state and create a real power void. I mean, the President was so safe he could Skype in for interviews. Then throw in the fact that a high ranking conspirator general was killed at the onset, devastating rebel morale.

It adds up to the seeming equivalent of planning to mug someone only to fall down and stabbing themselves with a knife. It only gets weirder as now it's basically an excuse for Turkey's high ranking officials to consolidate more power by ousting political opponents, including ones with absolutely no role or interested in this coup.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote