Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > Lucky Star > Anime

Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Misao
Posting Freak

KyoAni As A Content Creator?

Notice some trends starting to change with what KyoAni produced since 2009?

Before this, what they produced were based on stories from other studios/writers/companies (K-On!, Lucky Star, FMP, Haruhi, Nichijou). Now? Chuunibyou, Tamako Market, and now Free! are all shows they either created from whole cloth, or are based on mangas or light novels they bought the rights to continue developing under their name.

KyoAni wants to become a content creator. This blog post explains it in more detail: http://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2...i-productions/ . The equation for how this studio produces content is changing. What does this mean for the fans? Obviously, it means there is less of a chance that we'll get another Lucky Star season or Haruhi season or FMP season. It also means they're trying to break off of their collaboration with Kadokawa Studios/Shoten, which also had tied to BANDAI Entertainment, which, as you are aware, stopped licensing anime in the USA! No wonder the Lucky Star spin-off was given to Ordet instead!

What are your thoughts on this?

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Kagami

Makes me a little sad? I've really enjoyed a number of KyoAni's adaptations, and I wish that they had a way of striking a balance here. That said, my hope of a Lucky Star sequel ever existing diminished quite a while ago. If the studio was already uninterested in continuing some of my favorite series, then I haven't lost much more as a fan than I already did.

Also, I love original animated content. And I love Kyoto Animation as a studio. This has me plenty excited, and I'm hoping the best for them. I really enjoyed Tamako Market, but heard that it wasn't very successful in Japan (did I hear wrong?). And the existence of Free! might have the fujoushi excited, but the moe-fanboys have been making a stink. The likeliness of their success worries me, but I do support them in this. At least as far as an American fan can.

This is just my perspective as a fan, too. I need to read a little bit more on it to give a better-educated response.
Kagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

I'm with Kagami on this. While I am indeed saddened that we may never see future releases of the anime versions of either Full Metal Panic or Haruhi Suzumiya, I'm not entirely against Kyoto Animation focusing their talents on adapting more new anime as opposed to just working on a select few titles for an extended period of time. They're branching out, and that's always a good thing for a company to do. I just wish that they'd do more with the licenses they've already gotten rather than just do a once-over on them and then leave them alone while the new blood floods over them.
Currently Watching: Darling in the FRANXX, My Hero Academia, Persona 5: The Animation, Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Misao
Posting Freak

KyoAni has extremely good business salarymen, and they know what it takes to stay in the business, so owning more of your own work is always a good move.

The one exception to this was Hyouka, which came out after 2009 and is based on a light novel that's been published for about a decade now. However, animated series take time to develop and negotiate with all affiliates involved, and it's never a clean-cut slate.

I am also looking forward to seeing what else they produce unless their output doesn't do well. Also, we became fans of theirs' through Lucky Star in the first place.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

i too would like them to do more with what they've already got, but i'm happy with them making more of their own content :3
it'd be nice if they could do a mix of new stuff and continuations though, if they have no intention of making a new season of a popular anime with plenty source material then they should sell the license to a capable company that will do it~
i doubt they'd do that though, it's always good to have something they could fall back on if their original projects aren't well-recieved
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Misao
Posting Freak

If this proves successful, I predict we'd see less anime being based on manga in the next 10 years. This means eliminating GeckoEndings, rushed or slowed down arcs, and broken bases risen from fans of the books.

EDIT: ^That animated icon you have gives me hope for this spin-off! :D Where is it from? The promo?

Last edited by Misao; 05-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
YuiKonata
I disappear!

Interesting. Never thought KyoAni would go in this direction! Can't wait to see what else they have planned!
YuiKonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Droote
No longer Lonely European

Well, Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku not being made by KyoAni hints that KyoAni won't make more Lucky Star adaptations.
Droote is offline   Reply With Quote