Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Books, Film, TV and Music

Old 02-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

RWBY Creator Monty Oum Passes Away

Another brilliant mind has left us at a young, tender age.

Monty Oum, creator of RWBY and writer/animator for Red vs. Blue, has sadly passed away at the young age of 33. According to Oum's colleagues at Rooster Teeth, he had been hospitalized due to a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure and was unable to recover.

http://roosterteeth.com/members/jour...php?id=3302319

My severe condolences to Monty Oum's friends and family. May he rest in peace.
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER, Heartcatch Precure!, SSSS.Gridman
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
sheepgoesmeep
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*・゚✧☆

Whoa, that's a terrible shame :I
Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
LuigiYoshi3000
The Eternal Understudy

Whoa, indeed. Dying at a young age is very sad.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
TornadoAdvisory
The Imminent Storm

Yikes; I know someone who loves RWBY so I don't even want to imagine how he'd react to this.

33 is quite young though...rest in peace.

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1162-0082
TornadoAdvisory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 AM   #5
Dally
Persona Cruiser

Holy crap, I wonder how the hospital that does the medical procedure is going to take the backlash...

RIP Monty, you brought many hours of entertainment to me.

Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

Ouch. I told my brother (who frequents that side) about him being in critical care a couple days ago and honestly having no idea about who he was. It's too bad that he passed away...it's a bad situation for anybody to have...to fall asleep and never awaken from what he was likely told was fairly routine or simple.

My uncle underwent open heart surgery over the summer. He's alright (something I'll always be glad for) but I think nobody really ever fully prepares for death by operation. I can't imagine the shock to his friends and family after hearing that he was brought down by something relatively routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dally View Post
Holy crap, I wonder how the hospital that does the medical procedure is going to take the backlash...
I honestly hope there is no backlash until a neutral party concludes what party lies at fault. Medical procedure would be to investigate and determine if they missed something or if there was any way to know that this would happen. If Oum had no medical data or list of allergies then it should follow that there is no way the hospital would know that the allergen would cause a reaction, no matter how severe.

A "simple procedure" doesn't have to mean that the ability to avoid the reaction would be simple. I certainly don't claim to know what Oum's allergies are so it could have been something hidden given the fact that no doctor would operate knowing this level of risk from an allergic reaction unless the alternative was death. The alternative could be that they just dropped the ball and failed to inform the important parties (such as the anesthesiologist, a likely party to have caused death I think) of known allergies and risks.

Edit - From what I've read, he's got some strange and unusually strong allergies (one claiming that they had to move the company cat out of the office because he was having problems with it)...I don't think it's a far stretch to think that they stumbled onto something unknown beforehand and that it's what ultimately got him.

No health care professional ever wants to see their patients die and I hope those who take action realize that before they do anything.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition

Last edited by kirant; 02-03-2015 at 04:52 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Misao
Posting Freak

This should never happen. ;____;

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:14 AM   #8
YuiKonata
I disappear!

RIP. You will be missed ;__;
YuiKonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
-Lucky-Heavenly-Six-
Sebby Decker

I personally haven't seen much of RWBY but knowing how Oum had an effect, I must say he was a good man. Rest in peace.
-Lucky-Heavenly-Six- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Misao
Posting Freak

I know barely anything about Rooster Teeth, just bits of info I heard from social media. It seems Rooster Teeth functions almost like the anime studios in Japan- the artists run the small productions, and make a living off it, in contrast to the major motion picture and TV corporations who rely on billions of dollars and outsource most of their productions on the cheap.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote