Lucky Star Shrine Forums
 
Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Games & Computers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak
 
Shiraishi-kun's Avatar
 
Location : Database, wow wow wow
RPG Maker (series)

RPG Maker is a series of game development programs developed and released by ASCII Corporation and later Enterbrain. As the title suggest, these programs allow the user to design and develop their own role-playing games. The series began in 1992 with the release of RPG Tsukuru Dante 98, and continues in many versions for both PC and consoles to this day.

The most recent versions are RPG Maker MV for PC and RPG Maker Fes for Nintendo 3DS.

I'm going to be getting Fes at the beginning of next month as my introduction to RPG Maker. Does anyone else here use these programs? And what have you done with them?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
^ that's the spirit, disregard profit, acquire anime :D
Currently Watching: Little Witch Academia TV, Magical Circle Guru Guru
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
brupielink
The LSSF Clockmaker
 
brupielink's Avatar
 
Location : On the train to Denmark
I bought RPG Maker VX Ace some time ago to tinker around with it, but haven't gotten to that point yet.
__________________
brupielink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
kirant
Just another Friday night
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
I have purchased the PC copies since XP. I really can't suggest anything else but the PC versions as the amount of freeware out there made by kind people can really improve your experience in development.

What I've made is akin to many other game projects I've worked on: I'll have many ideas, do insane amounts of theorizing, and tinker it just right...then decide that there's no possible way anybody else would find a lot of the mechanics fun.
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:14 AM   #4
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak
 
Shiraishi-kun's Avatar
 
Location : Database, wow wow wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I have purchased the PC copies since XP. I really can't suggest anything else but the PC versions as the amount of freeware out there made by kind people can really improve your experience in development.

What I've made is akin to many other game projects I've worked on: I'll have many ideas, do insane amounts of theorizing, and tinker it just right...then decide that there's no possible way anybody else would find a lot of the mechanics fun.
You've mentioned that kind of thing before a really long time ago, but I'm honestly kind of intrigued at what kind of ideas you came up with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
^ that's the spirit, disregard profit, acquire anime :D
Currently Watching: Little Witch Academia TV, Magical Circle Guru Guru
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:08 AM   #5
kirant
Just another Friday night
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Location : Wars World, Black Hole HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
You've mentioned that kind of thing before a really long time ago, but I'm honestly kind of intrigued at what kind of ideas you came up with.
I think I've lost most of the ideas to the fact that I don't carry them over from game to game, but some basic thoughts I've had include:

- Armour fracturing. This was more of a design in a mecha style game but the intention was to use health (% of maximum health/SP) and some basic functions (I believe I settled on logarithmic) to influence how much defence and attack were applied to the damage formula (so instead of attack*2, for example, I'd use f(HP)*attack*2, where f was a basic function based on HP and maximum HP). I never really liked the system as it creates an unstable equilibrium where one side would absolutely snowball, but I thought it provided an interesting way to reflect how a heavily injured team would perform worse.

- Panic systems (ala XCOM). A bit like the first comment, but basically that hitting low HP or SP would apply status conditions which impact combat performance.

- Battle fatigue. That is, the longer a battle takes, the more tired allies and enemies get and the more stats are affected. It was mostly along the Darkest Dungeon styled system and a way to deter someone from crippling an enemy and using that time to heal up the team (between battle healing was impossible)

- Ammunition systems. If memory serves, this was highly memory intensive and ugly in a programming sense, but I tried to get away from the SP system at one point.

- Spirit commands system (ala Super Robot Wars)
__________________

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak
 
Shiraishi-kun's Avatar
 
Location : Database, wow wow wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I think I've lost most of the ideas to the fact that I don't carry them over from game to game, but some basic thoughts I've had include:

- Armour fracturing. This was more of a design in a mecha style game but the intention was to use health (% of maximum health/SP) and some basic functions (I believe I settled on logarithmic) to influence how much defence and attack were applied to the damage formula (so instead of attack*2, for example, I'd use f(HP)*attack*2, where f was a basic function based on HP and maximum HP). I never really liked the system as it creates an unstable equilibrium where one side would absolutely snowball, but I thought it provided an interesting way to reflect how a heavily injured team would perform worse.

- Panic systems (ala XCOM). A bit like the first comment, but basically that hitting low HP or SP would apply status conditions which impact combat performance.

- Battle fatigue. That is, the longer a battle takes, the more tired allies and enemies get and the more stats are affected. It was mostly along the Darkest Dungeon styled system and a way to deter someone from crippling an enemy and using that time to heal up the team (between battle healing was impossible)

- Ammunition systems. If memory serves, this was highly memory intensive and ugly in a programming sense, but I tried to get away from the SP system at one point.

- Spirit commands system (ala Super Robot Wars)
Hahaha, how am I not surprised with that last one?

I personally feel Battle Fatigue and Armor Fracturing could be implemented relatively well if you were going for a more realistic, sim-like approach. Give it some tweaking to make things more user friendly and to balance things out a bit, and I can see it adding some good depth to gameplay.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
^ that's the spirit, disregard profit, acquire anime :D
Currently Watching: Little Witch Academia TV, Magical Circle Guru Guru
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Misao
Posting Freak
 
Misao's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
RPG Maker is a series of game development programs developed and released by ASCII Corporation and later Enterbrain. As the title suggest, these programs allow the user to design and develop their own role-playing games. The series began in 1992 with the release of RPG Tsukuru Dante 98, and continues in many versions for both PC and consoles to this day.

The most recent versions are RPG Maker MV for PC and RPG Maker Fes for Nintendo 3DS.

I'm going to be getting Fes at the beginning of next month as my introduction to RPG Maker. Does anyone else here use these programs? And what have you done with them?

:O I WANNA DO IT!
__________________
I am a fan of the dub. It was the dub that introduced me to Lucky Star, and is great. Just to let you members know this beforehand.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1268457898
Misao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #8
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak
 
Shiraishi-kun's Avatar
 
Location : Database, wow wow wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misao View Post
:O I WANNA DO IT!
Do you have a 3DS and $40? Again, Fes comes out a day or two.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgoesmeep View Post
^ that's the spirit, disregard profit, acquire anime :D
Currently Watching: Little Witch Academia TV, Magical Circle Guru Guru
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Theme By : Companyturk