Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM   #291
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

No, but maybe we should think of a way to segregate people based on decisions they made. Like if you put law offenders into a building away from the general public, now how would we do that...

But I think that nearly 2 centuries is a long enough experiment, I say we split america into the union and confederacy again. But we do it based on politics, ie how we want to tell others how to live. we split the country like with super liberal places like california and NYC into one country and the south and utah and stuff into another. thus capitalists like me can live the good ol days and be done with people who always seem to have a retort for everything like you :P the union can merge with canada, the confederacy will...probably take over or buy mexico.

Times like this I miss school. I mean I'm in it now, just not taking classes this semester. I liked being the class clown, also Im at the point where I get to voice my opinion as I'm older and more knowledgable than everyone else. It's fun to be right every once in a while. Or rather just not be 'wrong'.

Bark bark bark, rabble rabble rabble, time for bed.

I think trump is gonna end DACA. I understand why people are upset, but the logical part of me knows these dreamers never should have been left here in the first place and were brought here through illegal means. If obama wanted to give them amnesty, he should have given them amnesty. Come to think of it, George W Bush did somethin like that too. So who didn't get their crap together? This shoulda been fixed 10 years ago. In my eyes, this comes down to feudal shit. If these people wanna stay here bad enough if they are willing to fight hard enough, ie the winners write history. Let's watch.

I'm not anti immigration, but I did help get this asshole deported. He was a friend of mine once, a crappy one, who turned into a jackass, badmouthed america constantly and eventually became a drug dealer. So a guy I knew phoned up to have Trump kick his felon ass out of America back to Canada which he loved so much. There's more to it than this, but I'm glad this one punk didn't get amnesty (though he did actually have the chance and didn't file any paperwork, might have saved him if he listened to be back in the day when I told him to). I know in Canada you guys have a merit based system of immigrants, Trump is working to do something similar, so what do you think? You guys let in skilled people and kick out the drug dealers, is it smart for America to do the same?

p.s. everything we put online IS monitored. I could bring up a relative and clever comparison but I can't as this forum isn't public internet either, hint hint.

progressive also means expensive. think about it.

Time for yuri.

p.s. like trump 90% of this is just to piss off the media and I'll forget half of it romorrow, so I'll reply to your reply when I remember it. Also I know you love debating, this should give ya some fodder kirant.
Old Today, 01:57 AM   #292
Kid Charlemagne
Very Stable Genius

My otakuz, this is one of my Senators.

Don't blame me; I voted for the Democrat.

Pigs will sprout wings and soar over the frozen plains of Hell before I vote for this Niedermeyer wannabe.

Old Today, 05:26 AM   #293
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Like if you put law offenders into a building away from the general public, now how would we do that...
This, of course, gets into a far more general question about what prisons are for. Are they to punish or to rehabilitate?

Quote:
But I think that nearly 2 centuries is a long enough experiment, I say we split america into the union and confederacy again.
If you had two distinct cultures, I'd say go for it. I mean, Quebec tried it once...French as its official language and all. But even in the watered down state of "We're our own country, but Canada must give us free money, defend us with their military, and we keep their currency", it failed and hasn't been meaningfully asked since.

Outside of (mostly) Texas, if you ask an American who they are, they'll tell you they're American. The concept is so pervasive that there isn't enough of a cultural divide. I mean, it isn't like you're lumping France and Germany together. While Seattle and Odessa may be worlds apart, most of the country still lives and breathes the same culture of "I'm American".

Quote:
But we do it based on politics, ie how we want to tell others how to live. we split the country like with super liberal places like california and NYC into one country and the south and utah and stuff into another.
Doesn't work unless you get into weird map shapes like Israel/Palestine. Places like California and Texas would need multiple splits (rural California is actually Republican backing while urban Texas cities are actually minor Democrat leaning cities). Once you get to that point, you get absolute border gore.

Alternatively, you get the same issues, but at a smaller level. Urban Texans complain they're being dominated by the rural vote while rural Californians complain that, despite being part of the (dare I say it for meme's sake?) New California Republic, they aren't getting any real say because they are outnumbered by the west coast vote?

Consult this map: https://images.dailykos.com/images/1...png?1431998365

Quote:
also Im at the point where I get to voice my opinion as I'm older and more knowledgable than everyone else.

Quote:
I think trump is gonna end DACA.
Well, when he's turning down bipartisan agreements which leave remnants in, I think he'll let the government shut down first. Which would be interesting, as it would be the first time a party which owns all three parts of your government couldn't get its act together and pass such legislation.

We'll find out though. I mean, we're about 1 hour away (with no further expected vote) from an official shutdown, 2 days away from it having an effect (with the possibility of an agreement coming over the weekend).

Not to mention, the program will end on its own even if Trump doesn't touch it. It has a specific set of peoples it applies to and there is no way to add to the list. If you let the people one it go, it'll eventually terminate itself.

Quote:
I understand why people are upset, but the logical part of me knows these dreamers never should have been left here in the first place and were brought here through illegal means.
DACA specifically applies to the children first. The question then becomes "should children suffer because their parents have done something illegal?". Remember, these children could be incredibly young when they came to the USA. For all their lives, they may have lived as an American. That is the only thing they've known.

Is it fair to punish them for something that their parents did? They probably had no say in the matter as it was the parent's decision to run to the USA.

Quote:
If these people wanna stay here bad enough if they are willing to fight hard enough, ie the winners write history.
The second 'if' in the sentence is throwing me for a loop. The sentence that reads like a quilt.

If it's supposed to read as "they should fight for their right to stay"...I'm pretty sure the requirements for staying on DACA (either completed their high school education/GED/in school/honourably discharged, no felony on record) and for the transfer from DACA to a green card (higher education or an honourable discharge after 2+ years of service) means they want to stay in the country.

Quote:
Trump is working to do something similar, so what do you think? You guys let in skilled people and kick out the drug dealers, is it smart for America to do the same?
Merit based works. The pieces of the USA system which are lottery based are inefficient and don't make sense IMO. Even given screening (which occurs to the lottery participants...so, no, it isn't allowing "bad people" to get in), it doesn't satisfy the USA's needs in the best possible way.

Quote:
like trump 90% of this is just to piss off the media
...And his chief of staff. And the rest of his staff. And his party. And many of the fringe supporters he has. About the only people he speaks to is the 30% who would back him even if he gunned people while walking down Main Street. Especially when it comes to contradicting himself. A lot.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ns/1049469001/

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #294
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

Yeah but you gotta admit at least hes entertaining. In the way watching a UFC fight is entertaining. Our government may or may not shut down. Which to most of us means nothing, some government employees get a pay cut, the dumbest of them do not. I think we should find a way to have the shutdown only affect the senate and house's paychecks. Then we should do it like every month. It was that old 'we cant figure out how not to spend the lack of money we don't have' thing.

Regarding quebec, the rest of canada needs to stand up and tell em you won't let the french have your money. Just tell em to surrender, they'll do it, trust us :P

And yes some americans will have to move. California is up in smoke 'in the literal AND cheech and chong way' so its a lost cause, the conservatives there gotta move to texas or something, the liberals in NYC will have to stay cause they dont drive so the conservative new yorkers gotta come to texas too. the liberals and potheads in miami, they gotta go, off to cali with you. and then we draw a new line in the sand, make 2 countries, and see who does better. im puttin my money on the capitalist, hard working conservative confederacy verses the toked up protesting hippies of the union. See what I did there? Get it?

Oh and KC once again I have no idea what you said or who that guy is, nor did i get your reference. And I tried this time