Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > General Chat

Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #241
kirant
Just another Friday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane of Cawdor View Post
Some somewhat good news: Congress passed a law criminalizing abortion after 20 weeks (that's 5 months pregnant) in the US.
As far as I'm aware, it hasn't passed Senate yet and would likely require 60 votes to pass without being held up forever (thank your hilarious "we play by the letter of the law, not the intent" philosophy in your Congress once again. Abusing filibuster rules is an amazingly bad problem). I have to imagine it'll be difficult to pass.

Interestingly, as far as I'm aware, most cases are decided in the first trimester (91% IIRC) with only ~0.50% passing the 20+ week mark with a majority not being taken outside of lifesaving measures. A 20 week mark doesn't look like it's a huge factor.

(Stats are from the hospital reporting in Canada although it's been a while since I read the reports so the numbers may be off by a percent here or there)

In other words, it seems like it's a nice gesture if you're more on the pro life side of things, but it seems like next to nothing will change outside of a few edge cases. It's certainly why the vote and its result didn't garner much attention. I would imagine a move to 12 weeks would garner lots of attention and probably create a furious debate akin to those which sealed the fate of the ACA repeals.

One thing that really burns me on it is some of the hypocritical nature of the voters. Some prominent supporters of the bill, such as Tim Murphy, have been found to be privately urging their mistresses and wives to get abortions privately while publicly opposing any form of abortion. (Edit - Incidentally, I just read that Murphy will not seek re-election after this term. Sounds like he wasn't going to win after this information became public)

Another major concern for me is that the idea is based on flawed science. The best science to date pins the current point at which a fetus feels pain to 23-30 weeks and most studies are leaning on the 29-30 week mark as the average (with no contradictory studies in the last 12 years to indicate that this number is wrong). 20 seems a bit aggressive if we assume the "feels pain" argument is the primary reason.

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy

Last edited by kirant; 10-05-2017 at 06:55 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 AM   #242
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

SNL roasts Weinstein and Cheetolini.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #243
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

You rich ungrateful NFL players, salute the flag for the country who pays you guys millions of dollars to PLAY a game to support your lifestyles. This has dragged on long enough, you made your point, now show some damn respect ya hippies.

Regarding the abortion issue: A separate life would be defined as a "zygote" having its own DNA, so by definition, if you went to get an abortion after 1 month, I would classify it as "murder". Forget how you may view it, that's what it is. By definition, so is capital punishment and more people seem to be ok with that. I do believe it needs to be defined as such what it is, they can then debate if its ethical or not. Here's a simple solution, to quote Vice President Cheney: "Go F*ck yourself." creates a lot less babies that way. contraceptives have been around a long long time, research how to use em.

Last edited by Thane of Cawdor; 10-18-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Thane of Cawdor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #244
kirant

Quote:
salute the flag for the country who pays you guys millions of dollars to PLAY a game to support your lifestyles.
Or don't IMO. If it's a huge deal to the team's management, the team can always bench the players who refuse to stand. It's within their 1st Amendment Rights to do so and there's nothing preventing team coaches/GMs from benching them.

Quote:
This has dragged on long enough, you made your point, now show some damn respect ya hippies.
The continuation is like the difference between filing a letter of complaint and endlessly bombarding someone with letters. One gets the point across that you're upset. The other indicates you're upset and will continue to let them know until something happens.

Quote:
Regarding the abortion issue: A separate life would be defined as a "zygote" having its own DNA,
Honestly have no clue why you're putting zygote in quotes.

Quote:
so by definition, if you went to get an abortion after 1 month, I would classify it as "murder".
While the union of an egg/sperm cell is, by definition, a zygote and I can understand if someone would define any form of abortion as they see any level as illegal (while I may not agree with them), specifying 1 month is absolutely arbitrary.

Why the hell does 1 month mean anything? There's basically no reason for it other than a token effort to claim that you believe abortions should exist. The timeline to finding out that you're pregnant and receiving abortion treatment is too limited to likely occur in 4 weeks.

The typical length of time (based on other's experiences) to find out you're pregnant is 5-6 weeks (1-2 weeks after missing a period). Limiting to 4 weeks of pregnancy basically means by the time you know, you're likely already too late to receive an abortion by your legal definition.

Quote:
I do believe it needs to be defined as such what it is, they can then debate if its ethical or not.
From a more definition based point of view, you'd have to change the legal code. Legally, rights are only fully given to human beings in the USA, which are defined as individuals with clear signs of survival (beating heart, voluntary muscle contractions, breathing).

Incidentally, you actually can't change the definition of a human being either, so you'd have to make the legal change to what types of abortions can be performed. And that would likely become a cat and mouse game much like piracy or would require lots of legal work in order to even become remotely viable in court.

Quote:
contraceptives have been around a long long time, research how to use em.
Contraceptives are also not 100% effective, regardless of how you use them.

What's your answer to someone who happened to someone who found out after the typical 5-6 weeks and was using contraceptives? Sorry, you're out of luck?

Shameless Self-Plug - Updated September 29 - Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy
Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #245
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

From Suburban Guerrilla:

Pooty-Poot thinks us mean librul Amurkanz aren't showing enough respect to Dear Leader Cheeto Face.

Putin Tells U. S. to Stop Making Fun of Trump

"LEEEEEEAVE DOOOONNNNY ALOOOOOOONE!"

Wassamatta, Pooty? Your investment going sour on you?

Package for Mr. Putin:
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 10-21-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #246
Thane of Cawdor
Yuri connoisseur advisor

KC can you translate what you said for me? I'm guessing your making an insult but I didn't get it.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:54 AM   #247
kirant

Quote:
KC can you translate what you said for me? I'm guessing your making an insult but I didn't get it.
It basically reads "Putin thinks USA media is disrespectful of Trump"

Spain
So...remember how I said that Catalonia held a referendum determining if they wanted independence?

Well, they decided to declare Catalonia an independent state. So in response, Spain dissolved Catalonia's regional government.

Funny thing though: they don't actually have a legal mechanism to declare independence. They also don't have a military to defend themselves with should Spain impose military force over the area.

Also worth noting that Catalonia has previously declared itself an independent state twice before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vereign_states

So...yeah...I can't see this going much better. Especially when no nation seems to recognize it as a new country.

USA
In "Trump picks fights" now...he's got fights with:
- 3 Republican Senators. With Corker, McCain, and Flake all against him in many situations, it's an uphill battle to pass anything (as it brings the consolidated Republican votes to 49/100). Basically, the Republicans need to "win over" a voter if they want to even get Pence to vote in favour.

- Gold Star families (those who have lost a family member in the military) by claiming he called them (about half have not received calls) and by being relatively insensitive to the family.

- Puerto Ricans (again). Puerto Rico is mostly without power (doctors performing surgery by cell phone lighting and nurses to the USA and note the lack of speed by the federal USA government puts millions at risk). Keep in mind, this is a recovery that Trump has rated at 10/10.

-- You know you're struggling when Tesla and a Spanish volunteer are getting better PR than your government in recovery aid.

-- Also of note is that Puerto Rico's recovery effort was awarded, without a bidding process, to a small Montana company with 2 full time employees. There's no reason such a small company wins such a significant contract. Without having to provide a bid.

- Military veterans. An amended Executive Order now allows the USA government to more easily call up mass numbers of veterans...many of which want to leave the military career further behind them.

-- The real cause for this change is the lack of active air force pilots. Many leave the air force to join other occupations at the end of their service. There is a real gap in experience now that Gulf War veterans are starting to leave.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #248
kirant

Well, this is big enough to warrant its own post IMO because the entire weekend's news broadcasts in the USA were on "who's going to get arrested?" and now we have our answer. I mean, it's bad when "someone is going to be indicted soon" makes national headlines in Canada.

When I was told "indictments possibly coming on Monday", I wasn't expecting that to be the least interesting part of the published documents.

So...this is all USA.

It's really interesting to hear the road to this. The road in independent investigations in the USA is quite interesting as they're often given powers to charge based on any offence. Remember that Clinton's investigation began on Whitewater land deals and ended with him Impeached (but acquitted) for lying.

The actual indictment
So today, Paul Manafort and a business partner of his, Rick Gates, were indicted on 12 counts all relating to business dealings they've had in Ukraine. They turned themselves in.

The charges are varied but are all about money laundering, conspiracy (which is a fancy way of saying "they did it as a team"), obstruction of justice, and failure to register as a lobbyist.

Manafort has alleged to laundered 18 million dollars while acting as a pro-Russian lobbyist. He was also the head of Trump's election campaign for a couple months and was with the team for quite a few.

This seems like a tactic by investigator Mueller to go after a "bigger fish". It seems likely he's going to try to scare Manafort into talking about someone. Based on his track record as a lawyer, he previously begun going after Enron's heads by first going after the wife of an Enron employee (for tax evasion).

The interesting part (to me)
There was a person in Trump's camp, George Papadopoulos, who pleaded guilty to making false statements to federal investigators during the investigation. He has been cooperating with the investigation team since July.

Mueller decided to reveal the statements today. And what they say are really interesting. In particular, the below:

If you can't read it, it states that Papadopoulos e-mailed a high ranking Trump campaign official about a request from Russia to meet Trump. In response, the official responded with "Let's discuss. We need someone to communicate that [Donald Trump] is not doing these trips.".

I mean...holy crap. This is heading towards probable collusion between the Russian government and someone in Trump's campaign (whether or not that includes Trump himself is worth waiting on).

But I mean...wow. There isn't a single rejection of Russia's interest in the campaign. Just a simple "we should let them know Trump isn't going to be there".

Also of interest is the timeline.

The suggested timeline for when Papadopoulos was interviewed and lied was January 27th. That night, Trump called James Comey, invited him to dinner, and asked him for loyalty.

Possibly a coincidence, yes. However, I'd love to see if Mueller's investigation looks into this line of thought.

Oh - and military news for the USA
The US courts have currently overturned the ban on transgender soldiers Trump attempted to impose.

Of course, this may still get appealed.

Last edited by kirant; 10-31-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #249
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

From Daily Kos:

Meanwhile, A Russian Spy Who Worked For Putin Is Now In Charge of U. S. Embassy and Consulate Security in Russia

Madoka damn it all to Areinnye.

The GOP is now the Party of Treason as well as Cruelty.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #250
Kid Charlemagne
Meri Kurisumasu!

Looks like Alabama Republican Senate candidate Saint Judge Roy "Lolicon" Moore has got a familiar face driving his campaign van for him...