Lucky Star Shrine Forums

Go Back   Lucky Star Shrine Forums > General > Anime & Manga

Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #2501
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Finished Little Busters! Refrain a few days ago, gonna get to Hyouka next, and more than likely Nagi no Asukara after that.
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER ~Tokyo Youma Chapter~, Heartcatch Precure!
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #2502
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

I've been watching Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and so far it's been 10/10.
I love how it's full of little character moments while acting under the guise of a simple slice-of-life show
Steam
3DS Friend Code: 2707 - 2715 - 7452
Switch Friend Code: SW-1462-7138-4810
GenerallyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #2503
Pasi123
Kagami Hiiragi fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraishi-kun View Post
Finished Little Busters! Refrain a few days ago, gonna get to Hyouka next, and more than likely Nagi no Asukara after that.
Did you watch Little Busters!: EX? Maybe it's not as good as the 1st and 2nd season, but it's still worth watching.

Hyouka is also a really good anime.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #2504
kirant
I won't go 'til it's over

I decided I'm either going either find the worst anime possible or die trying. I mean, people have done it with other media (movies many times over now)...but it's a surprisingly absent topic in anime outside without getting into biased arguments.

(And by bad, I mean something so awful and so devoid of talent and design that it genuinely would convince someone to stop watching anime forever)

So that includes (as of right now) Pupa, Wonder Momo, Hand Shakers, and Glasslip. I'm not sure if I should include more OVA work (because I think adding on Mars of Destruction, Skelter+Heaven, and Garzey's Wing is kind of cheating)

Anybody got any recommendations?

Ruri's Law: The vast majority of people are idiots (including myself)
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me Anime Edition
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #2505
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

Sands of Destruction is terrible. A dark Rabbit has 7 lives, Absolute Duo, Garzey's Wing (though that one is more of a so-bad-it's-good).

I know quite a few terrible ones from being part of a podcast where the goal was to rewrite terrible anime to be good briefly, before we altered the concept to be less labor intensive.

The problem with bad anime though is that it's boring as sin. Anime is such a cannibalistic and incestuous medium that the worst shows are bad due to their lack of originality, and once you get below a certain quality threshold it becomes a sea of identical shows, making it hard to wade through and find any that stand out quality-wise.

Good luck searching though. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you find.

A good place to start would be shows with scores below a 5 on MAL, since rarely are shows marked below a 7 unless they're really terrible
Steam
Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #2506
kirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerallyBananas View Post
I know quite a few terrible ones from being part of a podcast where the goal was to rewrite terrible anime to be good briefly, before we altered the concept to be less labor intensive.
That would have been quite interesting had it gone through. I know Mother's Basement tried something similar (I think mostly to point out how little he thought of Sword Art Online).

Quote:
The problem with bad anime though is that it's boring as sin. Anime is such a cannibalistic and incestuous medium that the worst shows are bad due to their lack of originality, and once you get below a certain quality threshold it becomes a sea of identical shows, making it hard to wade through and find any that stand out quality-wise.
It's interesting that you touched on two lines of thought I've been working with:

- I have been more favourable to anime which either take risks and fail (ex - Pupa) than ones which just fail at making a cookie cutter anime (see: every poor attempt at the "flavour of the month")

- I enjoy "so bad that they're good" anime (from the two episodes I could bear so far, Hand Shakers is going this way) much more than a bland anime with no interesting features, good or bad. I mean, I could probably invite people and put Hand Shakers on TV. We'd probably have a good night laughing at it. But a truly miserably bad anime would have no redeeming factors in that regard.

Basically, that's the long way of saying "I hate anime which bring literally nothing to the table". The anime equivalent of fast food.

Quote:
A good place to start would be shows with scores below a 5 on MAL, since rarely are shows marked below a 7 unless they're really terrible
I actually started with that (and have learned about anime I never knew existed). It's actually pretty interesting that most poorly rated anime are of the "short form" variety (<10 minutes per episode). The hardest part so far has been finding full length anime which fit a low rating mould. Online debates certainly don't help as most people start dragging in poorly done, but at least slightly passable, anime with poor reputation (ex - Sword Art Online, School Days).

I'll certainly check out the recommendations you listed. I've never heard of the first three.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #2507
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
That would have been quite interesting had it gone through.
The main issue with it was that i was a very difficult premise to adapt to a podcast format without spending an insane amount of time planning, and we weren't really n a position to invest that much in it

Quote:
It's actually pretty interesting that most poorly rated anime are of the "short form" variety (<10 minutes per episode).
I think that's due to a mixture of short-form shows tending to be more obviously cheap, and them not being long enough for people to get to know the characters, which I think often saves otherwise bad shows.
Steam
Old 05-30-2018, 02:00 AM   #2508
Shiraishi-kun
Local Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi123 View Post
Did you watch Little Busters!: EX? Maybe it's not as good as the 1st and 2nd season, but it's still worth watching.

Hyouka is also a really good anime.
Haven't watched it yet, no. My friend hadn't gone through the EX routes in the game yet when I started watching so I didn't wanna have info he didn't when we did our podcast.
Currently Watching: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura: SHINOVI MASTER ~Tokyo Youma Chapter~, Heartcatch Precure!
Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Mega Man: Legacy Collection
3DS Friend Code: 0318-9160-3343
Shiraishi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #2509
kirant

Quote:
The main issue with it was that i was a very difficult premise to adapt to a podcast format without spending an insane amount of time planning, and we weren't really n a position to invest that much in it
Ah...that make sense. Podcasts also make it difficult to explain your intentions as you don't have a visual medium to work with for explaining the animation issues you saw.

Quote:
I think that's due to a mixture of short-form shows tending to be more obviously cheap, and them not being long enough for people to get to know the characters, which I think often saves otherwise bad shows.
Hm...that makes sense. I guess the other thing could be that people are expecting the same emotional tug from short-form (whereas they just don't have the time to explore topics as deeply)?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #2510
GenerallyBananas
Night Owl

Quote:
I guess the other thing could be that people are expecting the same emotional tug from short-form (whereas they just don't have the time to explore topics as deeply)?
Yeah, that's probably it.

Finished Kobayashi's Dragon Maid by the way. Excellent, excellent show.
It's hard to say, cause I have to redo my favourites list from scratch as it's pretty outdated right now, but this may make it on there, and either way it's definitely among the best slice-of-life/character driven shows I've ever seen.
Steam